Samsung KS8000 65" SUHD 4K HDR Smart TV best PC gaming settings ?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by chispy, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    It depends on your TV model. Some TV's would end up with a blurry Image when using 0 and some models would end up very sharp with a hollow effect around the edges with anything above 0. And some have 50 set as a baseline. So regarding the newer Samsung models 0 Is what's mainly used by professional calibrators on AVS forums, Even Digital Foundry recommends 0.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings

Calibration settings for KS9800 with sharpness set to zero.
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1620897&d=1472060861

You could always test for your self with a proper sharpness pattern from a generator and/or calibration disc.

And yes you are correct It's always better to calibrate each TV separately since panels differ slightly and colors tend to shift over time. Therefore It's always best to calibrate every 4 months to maintain optimal colors at all times.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So, this is strange. If I run the batch file in the SDK folder the TV does switch to HDR mode by itself. First time at 1080p but second time at 4K though 30Hz for some strange reason. When I check Info it says:
    "HDR UHD 3840x2160 / 30p" though no "HDMI UHD Color".

What doesn't work is me setting the UHD Color HDMI 2 to On, cause that just disconnects the TV from the PC while the PC is trying over and over to reconnect which fails.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  3. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    That's most likely an HDMI handshake error happens for me sometimes, what you could do Is switch to a different source and then enable HDMI UHD Color on all sources 1 through 4 then switch back to PC source. You could also try using a different HDMI cable Hi-Speed recommended.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks, I'll try that.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ^^ This is exactly what i did when setting up my TV due to the hdmi handshake black screen error , changing the input to other source work 100% and fix it.

Look at this demo on a very dark room on your Samsung displays at 4K HDR On , use the built in youtube app on your TV. I was mesmerized at the intensity and vibrant colors , so many rich details. give it a try and tell me what you think.

Real 4K HDR 60fps: LG Chess HDR UHD (Look for it in your youtube app on your TV )

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RIDhA9c8qw

6. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Glad It worked for you :)

The HDR video Looks awesome as usual, but what's even better Is watching The Grand Tour on the Amazon app In 4K HDR. I Totally recommend you watch It If your Into cars :thumbup:

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Will watch for sure as i am into cars and thanks for the suggestion :). There is a good amount of 4K and HDR content in netflix also , and almost all of the new shows that are coming out support 4K HDR wish is awesome !

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
  10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    the owner of the channel captured HDR ps4pro gameplay , he says it requires a lot of stuff

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    @ chispy, I've been running an LG 50'' 4k IPS TV mainly for gaming and playing movies, both in which it excels in.

Any questions I can help you with? I've had the TV for around 5 or 6 months. Not really anything negative to say about the tv.

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thanks for asking my old friend. Sure i would like to know if your TV supports HDR and if it does have you played any games that supports it ? Shadow warrior 3 and Mass Effect Andromeda been the latest titles me think. Since i do not have those games i cannot comment and i have no idea how does it work or looks like. If by any chance you have any games can you give me some feedback on how to make it work and how does it looks like ? Thank you in advanced.

Kind Regards: Chispy

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    You should be able to see a popup when HDR is enabled if it doesn't your TV probably doesn't support HDR or not yet.

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ^ Signex kindly beat me to the answer.

And yes, I do not have HDR. There is no option for HDR nor any popup to enable it. :(

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thanks for the heads up and feedback guys , appreciate it.

17. LazKaiWo

LazKaiWo Guest

GPU:
    AsusGeForceGTX1080Ti 11gb
    Hi Chispy

I just got the Samsung KS8005 model (same as the US KS8000, this is just the EU term) And i have been reading your thread, what I seem to have missed or not found is the total settings you referred that you would post in here?...
    This thread has been amazing :D But could I ask you to post your tv settings and pc settings for gaming?
    I know I'm asking alot, and hope that i'm not bothering you :D

See, I'm totally new to this as well (using a tv for a monitor) and i love to game... well mostly I game WoW and other mmorpg's or just rpg's.. but I'm having trouble with the colors not being quite there and text not being sharp + stuttering.. and then i remembered that you would have your tv calibrated so i thought, hey if i can get you pc settings and tv settings it would help (using Nvidia 1080)

18. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    eu ks7005 = us ks8000
    eu ks8005 = us ks9000

19. LazKaiWo

LazKaiWo Guest

GPU:
    AsusGeForceGTX1080Ti 11gb
    thnx Step :D

hmm

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No i'm sorry , i did not get my TV professional calibrated because the techs for BestBuy never showed up to their appointment with me , i did use the rtings settings ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqb_8r-JDbg ) and tweaked them to my likings , so far i'm more than happy with the outcome :).

Kind Regards: Chispy