Vector 2D Mode causing low GPU Usage (and FPS)

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Emar, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Emar

Emar Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD HD 6870 1 GB
    Hello everybody,

I'm used to monitor my gaming sessions with MSI Afterburner + RivaTuner OSD.

Yesterday I was experiencing low fps while gaming, so I decided to reinstall the drivers (latest AMD ones) and doing some benchmarks with FurMark. No way, low fps. I dissasembled, cleaned and reassembled the pc but nothing. Accidentaly I turned off Afterburner (and so RivaTuner) and suddenly I doubled the FPS in FurMark Test. Initially I taught was Afterburner, but I tried to disable RivaTuner OSD while benchmarking and I saw the difference, OSD on -> low FPS, OSD off -> all normal.

I tried some combo and I see that the cause of this is Vector 2D mode in RivaTuner.

Furthermore I see that with Rivatuner in Vect2D mode my GPUs (either single or crossfire) won't hit 99% usage. In Vect3D or Raster its ok.

So, summarizing:

1) Single GPU (6870), FurMark benchmark:
    • Vector 2D -> 23 FPS, GPU usage ~ 96%
    • Vector 3D/Raster -> 27 FPS, GPU usage ~ 99%

2) Crossfire (2x 6870), FurMark benchmark:
    • Vector 2D -> 24 FPS, GPU1 usage ~ 50%, GPU2 usage ~ 50%
    • Vector 3D/Raster -> 54 FPS, GPU1 usage ~ 99%, GPU2 usage ~ 99%

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

RTFM. Help system says the following for this option:

On-Screen Display : vector 2D rendering mode

On-Screen Display can be rendered using either vector or raster fonts via hardware accelerated 2D or via hardware accelerated 3D DirectX / OpenGL functions. 2D acceleration based implementation provides the maximum compatibility with the most of existing game 3D engines, however it is not supported in DirectX10 and newer games when multisampled antialiasing is enabled. 2D acceleration can also be poorely optimized in some display drivers, so 3D acceleration based implementation can be much more effective in terms of performance hit on such systems.
    However, 3D implementation has more chances to be incompatible with some game 3D engines. Try to disable 3D mode if you notice any rendering anomalies in a game while running it with OSD enabled.

Hints:
    - Anticheat systems of some games may treat game code hooking required for application detection and On-Screen Display rendering as possible cheat and block connection to multiplayer server. To troubleshoot such issues try to add a profile for such game and disable On-Screen Display support, or if it doesn't help, try to decrease application detection level.
    - You may disable user interface tooltips via <User interface> tab in advanced properties.

3. Emar

Emar Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD HD 6870 1 GB
    Ok, I feel a little dumb. All is explained now, thank you!