About to blow my head off

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Nemesis44, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    Okay, so I have run OCCT in PSU mode and after 15 minutes, my GPU has hit 93 degrees according to GPU-Z (which I understand overestimates a bit, but even so...)

I think it may be the culprit. That's a very expensive fix :(

Thanks to all who have helped, it is much appreciated. I wish I could buy each of you a beer :cheers:

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ try cleaning the GPU cooler and replacing the thermal paste on the GPU core before anything else I'd say.

There are lots of guides online if you haven't done it before and we can help too ;)

95 is the max allowed temperature for 780 Ti so clearly the card's overheating. Normal gaming shouldn't push the temps as high as you got either I think.

3. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    Okay, so with that, can anyone recommend a decent thermal paste. I've always used Arctic Silver in the past and have a bit left from a couple of years ago.

I'm assuming that would be no good after this time and I need to buy more. Recommendations?

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thermal Grizzly, Gelid Extreme, Arctic Cooling MX-4 should be good for example.

Or if you're willing to invest a bit more and be careful, Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra.
    That's electrically conductive though and isn't suitable for aluminium heatsinks (pretty sure the GPU heatsink has copper contact surface though, as usual).

Recently replaced both the CPU and GPU thermal pastes with Liquid Ultra myself and it's very good, shaved a couple of degrees off from Arctic Silver.

5. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    http://play3r.net/reviews/cooling/best-thermal-paste-2015-update/

Pick one that performs well within your budget.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I have switched over the last months so everything I've got now is Gelid Extreme (besides the stock thermal on my HTPC's 1060).

7. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    How do you find it? I've heard it performs well, but can be a bit of a bugger to apply?

Here's the thing though - reading through different thermal paste offerings, it seems like even the best will only reduce my temps by between 2 and 5 degrees, which still doesn't get me out of the danger zone, temp wise.

Does anyone have any insight?

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Can't say I've taken the time to cross test vs. other pastes besides back in the day AC Silver or what it was called... haven't been left wanting either though.

Well, as I'm using the pea method (a small glob in the middle and nothing else), and reseating my CPU / mainboard monoblock as well as CPU coolers twice with the HTPC, it proved to work just fine that way. So I don't really feel it to be troublesome to apply.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Any paste will be a lot better than stock if it's dried out. Difference may be between 10-20 C for properly applied new paste and old or improperly applied paste.

Not saying this would be a definite solution but worth a shot.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Reapplied thermal on my CPU yesterday, along with a thorough radiator / fan dismantle and clean, knocked 10c off my max load temps

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    My cousin had to repaste his CPU because his idle temp was at like 95C at idle and over 100C under load and it was a Phenom II based quad core and I dont know how his CPU didn't burn up. Now everything is working like a charm now. So try repasting and clean your card's cooler and see what happens.

12. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    Many thanks to all.

I will give that a go this weekend. I'm pretty excited to try it out!

13. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    Okay,

So this weekend didn't go well. It seems that the card didn't want to wait to have new thermal paste applied and with a nasty smell and barely audible pop, it went west.

I am now the proud owner of a 1060 card, which is running OCCT at the super low temp of 65 degrees (a big improvement over 94!) and the fans only hit 47% RPM.

Not loving the big lump just applied to my credit card, but needs must.

Thanks to all who've helped in this thread.

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, at least you got something new to toy with, and performance will definatly put a 780 Ti to shame. Enjoy the new card, sorry though it didn't work out.

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Np
    Sorry it didn't work out. However there was a light at the end of your Tunnel with a GTX 1060. Which version did you get the 3gb or 6gb version?

16. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Wow, I hope it was just a faulty card the rest of your system is ok.

Enjoy the GTX 1060!

17. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    I got the 6GB version :)

If I had time to save more, I would've liked to go for the 1070, in terms of performance, but I love the 1060 - it's a great replacement card with no down side.

18. Nemesis44

Nemesis44 Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 1060
    Me too :bugeye: