Will ssd's ever go the hell down in price

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TonyR, Mar 7, 2012.

1. TonyR

TonyR Master Guru

GPU:
    RADEON HD 6850 1GB
    Yes its in caps , its in caps because im shouting to all the major outlets that produce these harddrives to have them released at a affordable price for someone on minimum wage.

I know the price has gone down in the last year or so , but they are still so pricey!

Anyone got any idea when the prices will drop to say , 300gb 100 pounds or in dollars i think thats 160?

Cheers all.

(It was in caps but the forums changed it back to lower case! Imagine the title in caps for be blasted with the message!)

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    When will it be cheap to get to the moon.
    Maybe never.

My SSD is 2/3 of the price last year.
    Seems they are dropping in price quite nicely.

3. Lukc

Lukc Guest

GPU:
    MSI gtx970
    just go with 128gb where you have OS and games/programs you use. everything else goes to hdd you already have..
    that should cost you about 160-200eur...

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I can afford them np, but am waiting for them to have a large capacity and lower price

5. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    But they are cheap? http://www.scan.co.uk/products/32tb...d-pcie-20-(x8)-sandforce-2281-mlc-flash-read-

In all seriousness though I think the prices are dropping at a decent rate. A 120Gb for around £110 doesn't sting too much, just put the most used apps and what not on it and you're sorted with a standard HDD for everything else.

I don't think they will ever get dirt cheap, maybe when something even better comes out which makes sense. I imagine by this time next year they will be much more affordable.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not any time soon.. But imo def worth the price. Ill never go back. Use 2x 60gb ssds in raid 0 for os and a few games and another 256gb for my other games

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Same. I can afford them but I simply don't deem them worth the cash just yet, for those 2 reasons.

8. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    Yep, agreed.

If you want SSD start small like I did........60Gb
    and added a second......64Gb

You wont look back......I know they are not cheap, but the benefits are worth the price............

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The manufacturer's/vendors aren't concerned about people on minimum wafe being able to afford them. If they were, they'd be priced accordingly. They're worried about making maximum profit and keeping shareholders happy.

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB

11. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I'm more worried about the prices of the standard hdd's then of ssd's..

12. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    +1
    You've said it all for me..

13. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Unless something comes along to rival SSD'S, I doubt they will drop in price very fast.

But that's marketing, no competition, no need to drop the price.

14. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Even though they are pricey they are one of the upgrades you can do that is actually worth the money. Daily computer usage is so much better using an ssd for your OS, intensive apps and some games. I could never go back to using HDD for a boot drive and I doubt many who have SSD's would want to either.

If you only use your PC for gaming your mileage may vary but for me it was the biggest boost in overall system speed (not frames per second) that I've ever had since I started computing.

15. Lukc

Lukc Guest

GPU:
    MSI gtx970

16. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Seagate has the hybrid HDD, the Momentus line.
    It's a 2.5" drive, and had a performance between standard HDD and SSD.
    Even after the Thai flood it still has the greatest price per [performance + storage] for its size.

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I'm with Anubis on this one. Was kinda shocked and appalled when i saw a 1TB Green Power hard drive on Newegg for $100. Wasn't a 1TB hard drive like $60 before that whole flood and such? I believe i remember almost splurging on a 2TB/3TB hard drive because they were practically dirt cheap... but not anymore.

As for people looking for a massive SSD... you're wasting your time waiting. They're awesome for your OS, but for games, they're not entirely worth waiting for a drive that you can install EVERY game you've ever owned on. It doesn't help gaming performance... it doesn't help you play the game better.... all it does is MAYBE hack a few seconds off the loading time. Kinda like how i noticed that in the demo for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, the loading time from when you're in that whole building at the start, to when you exit into the wilderness and meet your drunken companion was significantly shorter when i played it on my PC than it was when i played it on my PS3.

I'm using a 120GB OCZ Agility 3, and i only ever really have a few games installed at one time. Hell, i'm more likely to format and reinstall my OS than i am to reinstall a game that i've entirely played, or lost interest in. So i just have my OS and a select few games on my SSD, and a 640GB and 1TB hard drive for storage. I even hacked 20GB off of my SSD's space (by uninstalling Skyrim) so i could try out Windows 8... and have yet to miss that space.... even though i've barely tried Windows 8 yet.

As for the price...... i'd say they're substantially better than they were. At least now it's down to roughly the $1/GB ratio, SATA bus and features varying. Which, coincidentally, i think is now better than what the cost ratio was for a blank writable BluRay disc when they first came out.

As for the comment about "wanting to please shareholders, blah blah blah".... you do realize that HDD's haven't really had any sort of major technological innovation in quite some time... the biggest of which being maybe NCQ and increased platter density? Yet, in the past what... 2-3 years... SSD read/write speeds have at LEAST doubled... among other things?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I ONLY use for my pc for gaming and watching movies, what good will an SSD drive do for these?

For web browsing and other tasks I use my laptop.

I need a minimum of 300gb. I currently have 2 WD 300gb 10,000 rpm hard drives in my pc, both of which are almost full with games...

Interesting, what is the approximate cost for a 300gb 2.5'' drive?

Would using this in Windows 7 still give you a maximum score of 5.7 for primary disk transfer rate?

Should this option be more affordable than an SSD I may consider buying one.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My SSD (Vertex 2) is great for games.
    The pause going into/out of buildings in Skyrim is much less.

Get an SSD big enough to keep the games on that you are playing.

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    If you have 300GB worth of games INSTALLED... then you seriously need to reconsider what you're installing. How many of those games haven't you even really touched in a while? I'm willing to be the majority of them. Especially considering that even some of the more recent and MASSIVE games only clock in at around 10-15GB.