Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

Old
  (#1626)
Constant
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS HD7990@1000 1.114v
Processor: Intel i7 3770K@4.4 1.248v
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: Corsair DDR3 4x4g 1600mhz
Soundcard: Onboard + Logitech
PSU: Tt Toughpower 1500w
Default 10-15-2014, 07:17 | posts: 100

casual japanese owners almost never service their cars , they usually hold em for 60.000kms and then trade them for new...

most imports and halfcuts have 100.000+km and still the same gearbox oil , battery , coolant etc

the best japanese imports i ever had where those used for street racing with light modifications etc.... even though the drivetrain had been abused , engine wise they were still better than those owned by casual drivers. A differential or gearbox overhauling costs less than a new engine...

Old
  (#1627)
nm+
Don Cappuccino

Videocard: 6800gt (2xDVI) 2x172x
Processor: 2500-M(2.4Ghz@1.72v)
Mainboard: nforce2 ultra 400
Memory: 1GB Mushkin (2-3-3) PC-32
Soundcard: Sndstrm, Promedia U5.1,de
PSU: Shuttle Silentx 250W
Default 10-16-2014, 00:26 | posts: 10,373 | Location: Not Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Monster View Post
More research reveals strong argument from both sides over 300ZX reliability. Engine version and maintenance history seem to be an important factor..

Makes me wonder if the imports we got were poorly maintained by their original Japanese owners...
High performance (sometimes turbo charged) cars in mostly urban environments strikes me as a recipe for problems. The VG wasn't a bad motor generally.

Old
  (#1628)
Tom F
Ancient Guru

Videocard: X1950 Pro
Processor: Athlon X2 3800
Mainboard: Abit AN8 Ultra
Memory: 4096
Soundcard: AMB γ2
PSU: Akasa 460W
Default 10-16-2014, 22:08 | posts: 2,754 | Location: Gloucesterestershire

I think the issue is non-enthusiast owners in general.

High performance cars will be fine if looked after - but the average person who doesn't bother to ever change the oil and generally treats it with contempt is always going to be a recipe for badness.

Often hear it said that with a Wankel it needs to be caned regularly to burn **** off the apex seals - like Constant says, one that has been thrashed all the time but properly maintained would be a much better bet, I imagine.

I love the 300ZX. Would really like to own something like that, but the fuel costs here would be crippling. I imagine you're sub-20mpg most of the time

Old + Japanese + turbo = win. I can imagine that there's a lot to go wrong with those!

New rad on the 900 and now that and the Panda are doing alright with no looming disasters. First time in about 2 years that that has been the case