Laptop battery revival

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Marringu, Sep 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Marringu

Marringu Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1070 OC
    Goodmorning fellow gurus.
    I have an older T400 which I use for linux. It got the 9-cell battery which is quite old aswell. It lasts for about 40 min. to 1½ hours which is good for a thing of this age. I'm going to try the freezer trick. Freeze it 3-4 times for 12 hours, charge it each time and discharge it ofc. I'll repport here if it blows up or succeeds. :D

I'm currently having a T431s, but it's a work laptop so I can't really use it for linux. :(

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Degradation of batteries can't be fixed by freezing them, if you read up on why batteries begin to lose their ability to hold charge, you'll see why freezing them will do nothing

New battery is the only fix

Of course now I have said this, OP will report back that the freezer trick has given him an extra hour of charge ;)

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, technically, and depending on the construction, technology and materials used, there might be a chance to regain the battery's original capacity. Such a process involves reading the output voltages of each of the batteries cells with special equipment, and recharging each cell with different voltages and ampers and whatever, depening on the different cell's status. I've learned this at a business visit to a battery construction company. This needs special know how, testing and charging equipment, that not everybody can claim his own :)

Most of the time, the freezer trick will help easier and quicker anyway hehe

4. Marringu

Marringu Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1070 OC
    I'm currently decharging it for the 2nd time; there have been no improvements so far.

5. Marringu

Marringu Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1070 OC
    No change of the battery life after 4 cycles. Freezing it has no effect, it won't revive this old battery. ;)