The realization

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by IcE, Apr 11, 2017.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Does anyone else have a horrifying thought every so often, where you realize that your window into this existence is the only one you get? That as far as you know, there's literally nothing else outside this experience as a biological meatbag. I have to say, it almost feels like an epiphany or something, like I'm having an out of body experience. But at the same time, I can't help but feel an abject terror. It's kind of like peering over a cliff and seeing nothing but complete darkness. And no, this is not after taking drugs. This isn't one of those threads.

I have to say, it's really odd coming to terms with all you know, and conceivably all you ever will know. It's like something our brains try to block out at all times, to keep the wheels turning. We become numb to so many day to day activities and the passage of time due to this. How much of life do we truly experience without the fire of existence itself licking our butts? Why is our biology seemingly at odds with consciousness? Obviously you can argue this is evidence that consciousness was just an odd byproduct of our extra brain mass, but it seems like we either don't have enough processing power to realize the significance of being "us", or our brain actively fights such quagmires so we can focus on survival aspects. I dunno.

Thoughts?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You're only limited by your imagination.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, life's a piece of sh1t, when you look at it, life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true!
    Don't you see it's all a show, keep 'em laughing as you go, and remember that the last laugh is on you...

We're just stuck in what we call society and daily routine because we couldn't come up with anything better, besides anarchy. Human society, civilization, and life, is in my humble opinion opposed to evolutionary goals and processes. Hence there's people that don't cope with it easily, feel sad or frustrated, and it's not that much of a surprise to see people quitting on "modern" life and being happy living in the woods or a farm, which is way closer to what we were evolved to live like. At least that's just my opinion.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Is it similar with something like, when you almost died and you happy you are alive?
    There lots of things going on. Lots of thoughts and things to be concerned about. But EVERY living in this universe has amazing feature "get used to".

We don't have to remember to breath, we do it automatically. I don't have to remember how to drive, I do it automatically.
    We take things for granted, that is how we stay sane and keep up with our lifes.

5. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    What's with all these depressing threads, jesus.

6. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    yep...since the 6th grade

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I learned there way too many older people on this forum than me.
    This place gonna turn into eldery home unless we get some fresh blood.

8. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Yes, i question my existance often and find it a nervous exercise in futility.

Life´s a bitch and then you die. And i cant understand death, the act of being dead since life is all i know...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´m thinking exactly the same!... Life is already depressing enough without all the treads remembering us that life is depressing and meaningless!...

C´mon this is an hardware site so talk about hardware! Even a fanboy flame war is better than this...

10. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    We share these topics as humans, its only fair we discuss them and not feel alone. I say, let them speak about death, its part of life after all.

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Check out the hologram thread. It will help you feel even more useless.

12. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    "there's literally nothing else outside this experience as a biological meatbag"

Good chat up line for a one night stand that !

13. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    ice, my man. You spoke words from my own mind. I've been out of alcohol for like months too.

But I too have been thinking of this existential question of perception, possibility and consequences of choices we make each second. What I finally came upon was that, I have utterly little to no experience of the actual real LIFE in its totality. So, I can't know if life is good, bad, neutral, or if there is meaning to all of it and if it actually goes on in circles or is it like a light from a source, blink and gone. Therefore, I chose to not worry if it is this or that, and make it as I want it to be at this moment. If I experience something, I now pause, perceive, analyse, and then go on to volition, according to the response of my emotions at that time. I know its simplistic, but now I am just aware of doing it, instead of it being automated and childlike go-with-the-flow.

Don't worry too much though, and if you start analysing something way too seriously, think about this " Does this analysis make me feel good or does it depress me more " and then choose. Life is what We Choose of it, there is always a choice, I believe.

Cheers mate, for a bold thread. Carry on, without fear.
    Keg

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You are thinking too much.
    All yoga schools (and Buddhism too) do it first - stop the dialog (monologue) inside your head.

15. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Maybe spend some time just staring into the eyes of someone you love (a child, a parent, a friend, etc). If that doesn't give purpose and meaning to life I don't know what will.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I had similar experiences quite a number of times. Oddly enough most of them happened without me being in a brooding/thinking state. I just suddenly felt like I"desynced" with my brain, sort of felt like I was behind myself and slowly drifted in an infinity of thoughts.

I know it's pretty hard/weird to explain and that it might differ from person to person but yeah, I definitely think that there is a lot more going on with us, inside and outside and that here is so, so much that we have yet to discover, let alone comprehend.

And no, I never do drugs/alcohol either, smoked maybe 10 cigarettes in my whole life. So it's definitely not that. :giggle2:

17. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    It's a feeling like no other.Staring at the mirror knowing fully well that what you see is nothing compared to the consciousness lying behind the eyes.

Unfortunately our society has no time to entertain these "non-profitable" ideas, so you push them to the back of your mind and carry on....pay bills/taxes, take care of family and friends, swallow whatever bs authority says is the reason for it all going to shyte, when they're the ones "in charge" and you can't ask critical questions for fear of being labeled "terrorist/instigator' or in some places getting "wacked" by "accident" or "robbery was the motive".

LBGTY community forcing everyone to publicly acknowledge their acceptance of them, even when you personally could care less who they choose to love.Now they want your children to know about it as soon as possible, with or without your consent as the parent.Want to abolish sodomy among males as a crime but neglect to mention where that's going to leave the boy children who fall victim to pedophiles.

Religious extremists (all religions have sects that are prone to violence) who are somehow always incited to violence, but if you're into your religion to the point of being considered "extreme", then why haven't you found God?

I'm ready for AI to take over because I'm fed up of humans in general, not you guys. :)

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's not supposed to be depressing, lol. There isn't even a nihilist slant to this. I'm not talking about the philosophy of life or anything, just this specific sort of brick to the face that this reality is all we know, and possibly ever will know. I'm actually enjoying life a lot right now. It's just that every once in a while, this thought strikes me. Maybe once or twice a year? Solfaur described what it's like better than I did below.

Get off my lawn! While I've been here a while, I'm only 25 years old...lol. The generation after mine though is increasingly choosing facebook groups and other social media avenues over forums, however. So fresh blood may be hard to find.

You basically nailed the feeling. It's so hard to describe correctly. It happened to me most recently while at work, doing nothing remarkable. That's why I posted about it. Glad to see I'm not the only one, at least.

Also Keg, thanks for the input. Glad I resonated with you. I too am trying to squeeze the most out of life that I can. It's just interesting that this thought catches up with some of us, sometimes. It's like a kick in the butt that you need to be enjoying and doing more...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  19. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Just get on with your life. Live, love and laugh. No point sitting around thinking about these things, sure we all have a one point.

But the pub really is becoming a bit "bokey" (Scottish slang) with all these sort of threads coming out.

By all means post them and of course I knew Stewietech would be one of the first to defend them haha.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This is supposed to give you halucinations. :D