What are some soundcards with multi client ASIO drivers?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by devhda, Mar 26, 2017.

1. devhda

devhda Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750Ti / 2 Gb
    Basically, I want to be able to play (and record) a guitar while listening to some backtracking file. My old Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium with ASIO4ALL drivers doesn't support this.

I have tried installing Steinberg's Multi ASIO without success.

Hence I'm in the market for a nice sound card around 150$ that can do this.

Which ones would you recommend me to buy?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Why do you need ASIO for that? Can't you record without ASIO?

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Does yours board have PCI slot if yes then I would go with M-AUDIO Delta series or Audiophile 2496 or 192 which are very good sound cards, used both and they can be find over on eBay for good money

Other cards like USB, have look on early Mbox or Focusrite Scarlett, Presonus

If budget allows then I would suggest RME Babyface or any card from RME

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
  6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Cause of latency?
    With ASIO you have proper aligned playback an recording tracks at the same time.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Hm, I would think that a guitar, not being a software synth, wouldn't be affected by this. When using a keyboard for example, pressing a key has too much lag without ASIO. But a guitar wouldn't have any such issue?

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    It does, but instead of that I try to explain why here is an article that goes into depth regarding audio latency.

http://www.michalkaszczyszyn.com/en/tutorials/latency.html

Latency upon key presses has nothing to do with it, it is about ms of latency when recording to one or more tracks.

And a video if you don't like reading wall of texts; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l0BsPKpi-Y
    Also gives some tips to get even better recordings, for electric guitar I prefer microphones setup against an amp though, 2 mono channels with offset between them mics, like one cone center and one cone edge.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I see. Although latency should be constant, so in theory you should be able to just account for it in your DAW. For example if latency is, say, 150ms, you just shift your guitar track by 150ms.

You can find out what the recoding latency is by tapping to a recorded metronome. In your DAW you can count the samples between the metronome ticks and your recorded taps.

But getting a good ASIO card is probably the better long-term investment anyway :D

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Kinda difficult when hearing guitar and tracks that are played are out of sync.
    You can of course try to fix it afterwards but it's so much better if what you hear actually is in sync all together so you don't need to have the brain compensate for latency as well.
    If you know anyone who has Rocksmith, try to set the input and output audio interface frequency offset, then try to play along to a busy guitar or bass track. :)