1440p Gaming - More Future proof solution

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by dataer, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dataer

dataer Guest

GPU:
    GTX-580 1.5GB
    Hey everyone,

I have an EVGA GTX-580 1.5GB at the moment and i am thinking to switch in either GTX970 or R9-390.
    At the moment my card plays the games, in medium in most of the cases and with 2,560 x 1,440 analysis in my 27'' inch monitor, but i surely need an upgrade. I was fully sure to go for a GTX-970 but reading the probs that exist with 3.5 and 0.5 vram and the fact that i see many of the games going to need more in the next 2 years, i am thinking if the best way is to go for 970 with 4GB (3.5+0.5) or R9 390 with 8GB (seems more futureproof) or just wait the 980 to get cheaper.
    The idea is to buy something that can hold off at least 3 years again (like i did with GTX580, which lasted in fact 5 years).

Thanks for everyone going to spend some time to reply me

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Are you planning on reducing AA, settings and fps @1440p?
    What games will you play? Do you have a screen with more than 60Hz?

Just as a little comparison, I had a i7 950@3.2GHz and a 580 Lightning XE with 3GB vram. BF4 at 1080p ultra ran with 30-40fps... now with my current rig I'm playing 140+ at 1440p ultra BF4. A 980 thus would grant you about 70 to 80fps I guess, maybe a bit more.

3. dataer

dataer Guest

GPU:
    GTX-580 1.5GB
    Thnx for your time.

The monitor i have is this is PB278Q (i can't post the link)

I don't mind reduce a bit the AA, Settings and fps, just need to be sure that with this upgrade i would be able to have a more smooth experience than the one i have now with the 550. my recent games was Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Metal Gear V, Division (beta), Xcom.

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I personally would say you should opt towards AMD, probably looking for a sale on the 390X 8GB or a 390. 980 isn't that well priced at the moment, and the 970 is great for 1080p but for 1440p I wouldn't want to bet my money on it.

5. dataer

dataer Guest

GPU:
    GTX-580 1.5GB
    Thnx again, yes i am towards AMD at the moment, propably the Sapphire one.

Just a question. My PSU is 730 and Sapphire on their site, write that the recommended PSU must be 750. Do you believe that i will have issues with that?

My psu is the following HIPER Type M HPU-4M730-SS 730W (can't post links, damnit)

6. Mugsy

Mugsy Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    If i were you i would wait until the summer. The new AMD lineup will be released then and it will be definitely better than the current lineup.

7. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Any hints what is coming in........................

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    the 390 8g gets my vote, vram use will skyrocket if my predictions are right, the 970 is not a good bet today when compared to the 390 which tends to be a tiny bit faster overall without the vram limitations, and cheaper to boot

730w is plenty for your rig with that card, but considering you mentioned a 5yo gtx580 I suppose that includes the psu being 5yo? might have to take that into account

9. dataer

dataer Guest

GPU:
    GTX-580 1.5GB
    Ty for the replies, a sidequestion:

As you can see my PSU doesn't have the pins R9 390 Sapphire card need to. If i use a cable 6pin to 8pin so i can connect the card to it, i will have any losses of the optimal performance of the card? Or it will be used full power?

Ty in advance

Ps
    I understand that the optimal way was to change also my psu, but i am in a pretty tight budget atm, so if i can avoid it, will be awesome

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    People have figured out that the additional two pins aren't really carrying any power, you should be fine with the 6 to 8 adapter. Back in the day there used to be PCIe power cables that had 6 on there, and two seperate wires going OUT of the 6 and made two additional pins, so you could hook up 8 in total with 6 wires in the cable.

If it will be sufficient to power in total to run a 380X or 390, I honestly can't tell. Maybe another guru could make an educated guess?

11. Osjur

Osjur Member

GPU:
    Radeon Fury X
    It has the overall watts but it is one those multi-rail junks. Four 12v lines and they only give 16amp (192w) per line. And it seems the line distribution is bizarre as well because all the lines (12v1-12v4) are sharing something with PCI-E power connectors.

Let's be frank here, 390(X) may work with that junk, or it may trigger OCP the instant you fire up something which puts enough load on the card. Also, it doesn't really help that the PSU is already old.

Ps. Sorry if you are offended when I'm saying junk. I just have a personal grudge and crusade against multi-rail PSU's :eatme2:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  12. dataer

dataer Guest

GPU:
    GTX-580 1.5GB

NO offense at all np. In the meantime i asked Sapphire (very helpfull in their support) and they said i won't have any problems. We will see next week when Amazon delivers. My plan is to put it with that psu and then in a year or so change only the psu witha brand new one. Thnx for the answers guys!