The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    This is GTX1070 thread, not general QC thread.

2. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Strange happenings...?

Hiya all...

I've had my 1070 for about 2 months now and up till a couple of days ago it's been running very well. However those couple of days ago my game performance has seemed to decreased. I loaded up Dying Light the other day and it was playing fine and then all of a sudden I got this big ol pause and stuttering and my fps dropped 100+ to 45-55. I had MSI AB running and noticed my temps were reaching 81c+ and gpu usage was really low, around 54%. Seems this is happening to me in all games I try to play, gta 5 being another.

I had the latest drivers installed(381.78). I tried going back to a couple of previous versions(used DDU) and it still is doing it. Is my card defective or am I missing something? Running Windows 10 Pro Creators Update, btw. Thanks for any help.

3. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Can't say for sure. Sounds like a bad card but did you install creators update just recently? As in; did the problems start occurring after installing it?

4. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    ???

For some reason my card is only being seen as x8.
    Why do you think that is?

5. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I had my card exchanged because of the same error. Tried a 750Ti and now a 1080, both work fine at 16x.
    Whatever caused this, I couldn't revert it either.

6. No1True

No1True Guest

GPU:
    Hey guys, i was kind of curious - when its the best time to change gpu? While the current gpu still has warranty or maybe 6months 1year, 9months etc. periods or when the next gen gpu gets released?

7. wyldmagik

wyldmagik Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA-1070-FTW
    Just got a 1070-FTW, seems to be fine. Boost its like .10 shy of 2000mhz on its own boost this card. I am not really ofay with the whole voltage changes on cards to overclock, before this card I would just slide power up to max on msi afterburner for example and clock.. Always worked fine that way for me. Do the 10 series need the voltage change perse' or is it more of that it's to cover stablilty ( just incase ) type of thing?

Some small pointers to try as a small overclock for my own curiosity would be great if anyone could assist.

Cheers.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  8. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    I am getting the same problems as you have described i am now on my replacement card and i am still getting the same issues.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If you are only doing a small Overclock then I wouldn't think you would need any voltage change. With my 560 Ti card I didnt need any voltage change for the OC that I had with that card. With my 1070 FTW card I have all of sliders set to their max but I have a hefty overclock. It depends on the card because not all cards OC the same. If you hit the silicon lottery then you might not need to adjust any of the sliders.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I just learned this from doing some reading online about the Dual BIOS setting that the EVGA GTX 1070/1080/1080Ti FTW edition cards have. That the 2nd setting which is marked slave has a power target of 122% up 10% and has a more aggressive fan curve. Not sure if how much effect that the extra 10% power will have on Overclocking the card.

11. wyldmagik

wyldmagik Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA-1070-FTW
    That is a good point forgot about that, Well maybe I should not fiddle its more to do with seeing what is capable of ones card but getting 85-105 fps in Ghost recon wildlands ( not really optimized game either ) on ultra is nothing to gripe about :D

I guess the 2nd bios at 122% will be good, my strix 970 had 120% and did initially think the 112% on the ftw was odd, I suppose its already boosted and they feel its not really needed to oc for gaming anyhow, but if there is a nice gain on minimum fps by doing so with the 1070 then I might look about trying.

12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I just started using the "curves" function of MSI AB and, from what I've seen so far, the high wattage some cards draw isn't really justified.
    Even though I'm on a 1080 now, the behavior should be about the same.
    My new card boosted to slightl above 2050MHz at default, and I was able to raise that a little to roughly 2100MHz. It would always dip though as the temperature target was being met due to the slow-running fan. For that frequency, the card delivered 1.062V.
    Now, I set 2050 as my baseline and used a fixed fan rating of 60% to stay below the temperature limits at all times.
    Without any further issues, the card runs this frequency fine at 0.943V. The power target, which was around 100% before and sometimes shot up to ~110%, now hovers around 70%, even slightly lower.
    No way I'm going to sacrifice 40% of power to gain 4% of performance.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah with my GTX 1070 I used a custom fan curve to make the fans spin at all times during idle at a low RPM rather them start to spin after the card reaches 60C.

14. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I've had my EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB since feb and it still runs great and plays every game I have without a problem and Ghost recon wildlands only brings my temps up to 60 Celsius but I may just need to clean out the fan to help reduce temps.

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    That's something different. My fan was still on auto :D

I changed the voltage/frequency table/curve with MSI Afterburner. Much steadier frequency and far lower power consumption.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Oh ok. I get ya.

17. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Hii to all, i judt get an msi 1070 gaming x from amazon and i get the micron memory and i am upset but i manage to oc to
    Core +105
    Mem +700
    In fire strike but i try the time spy bench and i start to have a lot of issues the card clock down and simple wont run the bench so i lower the oc ram to 500 and pass whit no problems, so i download the bios fix from msi page and i was reading the instructions and says the card wil up grade this bios 86.04.50.xx but in gpu z shows i have the latest bios just out of the box but i decided to run the actualization but nothing happens nothing change i believe the card came whit the bios up grade already installed, well any way i will keep testing my card.

18. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    Can someone help?
    I've had my 1070 for a few months and from day one I've noticed short horizontal lines randomly flicker on the screen. It doesn't happen often and is more noticeable on the desktop. After some research I have read that 1070 cards that have GDDR 5 micron ram could have a voltage issue. Apparently an updated firmware addresses the issue.

My card has this type of ram, so my question is has anyone else had this problem and if so, did the updated firmware fix it for them?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  19. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Mmm don't know really but if was me i will updated the bios to the latest , check in the page of PNY

20. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    I hav micron and i don't have that problem, so far i know the problem is on the oc with micron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.