Unable to reach BIOS

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by aSoggyOrphan, Apr 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. aSoggyOrphan

aSoggyOrphan Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon RX480 8G
    Hello there,

My first time posting but a friend recommend I could maybe get some help here.

So, basically, I've decided to upgrade my CPU (Ryzen 7 1700) and Mobo (ASUS prime X370-PRO).

I've installed everything as best I can (relatively inexperienced but I did build my Pc originally and it all went fine so I feel like I've not gone wrong anywhere wiring wise) and as topic says I'm. It getting any signal from my PC to my monitor. I've tried swapping the RAM slots around, also tried another GPU I had laying around but nothing.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks in advance

(Nb. Sent from phone to apologies for any grammar/spelling etc)

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What connection are you using from GPU > LCD?

What display is it?

Is the machine powering up?

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Well first I would get the small speaker such as this LINK and connect it to audio header.

See if you can get any post noises, might help you pinpoint the issue.

Those usually come with motherboards so check the box.

4. aSoggyOrphan

aSoggyOrphan Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon RX480 8G
    Ilyama ProLite GE2488HS, using a HDMI cable. My monitor and GPU are fine as I was using them this morning on my old mobo and cpu prior to getting the new parts and installing.

Machine is powering fine, all components light up, fans spin etc.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  6. aSoggyOrphan

aSoggyOrphan Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon RX480 8G
    Thanks for the responses.

No such luck with a speaker in the box and I'm not hearing any beeps otherwise at all on boot.

I'll grab one of the speakers suggested.

Any other suggestions in the meantime appreciated. I did read about these mobos "bricking". Could his be it?

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I edited my post, it looks like you need to update the BIOS before your Ryzen CPU is supported

Check the Crashfree method

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    1. What version of the bios is listed on the sticker near the ram slots? Mine said 0404 but when in bios it said 0502. There was a sticker on one of the SATA slots that I did not know what it was till after I found out what bios version was actually on the board.

2. Best thing to try if have not already is to switch off the psu and unplug it. Then find something metal and short the two cmos pins and pull the battery. Place the battery back, plug in the psu and fire it up.

3. The initial boot will take a while; what seems like an eternity but is more like 40 seconds to a minute. Freaks me out each time I have reset the bios. The screen will be blank during this time. Sometimes I have had to turn off the monitor and back on again and the press "F1" to enter setup screen is there.

Like Agent linked, buy one of those speakers. My case came with one and has been a peace of mind.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  9. aSoggyOrphan

aSoggyOrphan Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon RX480 8G
    RESOLVED

Firstly, I've no idea what got it to work at all...

I just reseated the GPU for like the millionth time and POW. It's working...

Secondly, greatly appreciate all the help that was offered and the speed at which I got responses. Much appreciated!

Jake

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah well, nice one, I'd probably update the BIOS now you're in anyway

Pleased it's sorted

11. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I was going to post that on my motherboard I had to switch the RAM to different slots for mine to post the first time.... I'm glad to hear it's working for you. :)

12. PhantomGamers

PhantomGamers Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 EVGA FTW
    For me, I wasn't posting because of my RAM and it would sometimes work but 99% of the time didn't. If it messes up again it might be that, the prime board was a nightmare for me.