Dual setup or Triple setup with a single 1080Ti?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by pistol44, Mar 19, 2017.

1. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    Hi guys,

I have a few questions actually. I currently have a single monitor setup with a Asus 24", 1080p 144hz monitor. I have a 1080Ti which I use mostly for 4k on my 4k TV.

But I think it's time I look at upgrading my old 1080p screen to either one nicer 30" or larger widescreen with all the bells and whistles like G-Sync, 165hz and 2k resolution.

I've also been interested in doing a multi monitor set up. 3 might be overkill right now but 2 could be good. But I also don't want to break the bank on this whole thing and not sure I can justify buying 2 Acer Predator Z35BMIPHZ 35" monitors at $1400CAN a piece.

I'd like to find something a bit more budget friendly. G-Sync I guess isn't a must. I'd like 120hz minimum and a 2k screen. I've also heard some people that have a triple monitor setup and something about using low resolution monitors on the side monitors and having the better one in middle? I just assumed you'd want 3 identical monitors. Is this something I can do if so how does that work properly?

As mentioned I have the GTX 1080Ti so I'm not sure it's powerful enough to run two 2k monitors. I'd like to avoid treading into SLI land. Definitely not looking to buy a second video card either if I can help it.

Also, any suggestions on a half decent 2k monitor with a higher refresh rate? I saw the AOC C3583FQ 35" Curved 144Hz 2k Ultrawide Monitor. Not sure if that's a reputable brand but it's only $750CAN vs the $1400CAN for the Predator. Open to other suggestions. Prefer something under $1000.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    1440P with 144/165hz and gsync(it's very nice to have) is the best option.

Models such as Acer XB270hu/XB271HU, ASUS PG279HQ, Viewsonic XG2703-GS, AOC AG271QG etc.

As for dual or triple setup, what are you planning on using them for?

If it's games, don't bother.
    1080Ti is not fast enough to drive 3 165hz displays unless you want to run games at lowish settings.

This website gives you a list of gaming monitors where you can view the different specs to fit your needs.
    http://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-monitor-list-120hz-144hz-165hz-200hz-240hz/

3. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    Thanks for that info, I'll definitely check it out.

I would be strictly using these for gaming only. There's definitely some beautiful single monitor options out there. So wondering if I should invest in one nice one, or 2 pretty good ones. I think 3 monitors would be overkill.

4. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    two monitors is terrible for anything other then games like EVE online, as your focus is directly in the middle looking at the bezel when playing FPS games, if you are going to be playing games you kinda HAVE to go for 3 monitors unless its a game that doesn't require you to focus in the middle, for example EVE online you use one monitor to display your ship and surrounding environment and targeting and all that, and have the second monitor showing all the other stuff you use while playing EVE like spreadsheets and character optimization charts e.t.c. If you were playing an FPS or an RTS (if the RTS even supported dual monitors a lot don't) or any other game that would need you to focus in the middle, you just end up staring at the plastic in the middle between the monitors, it doesn't work well and you end up using one monitor for gaming and the second monitor to watch youtube or something, which is fine but you wouldn't buy two gaming monitors to do that, generally you would buy a new gaming monitor and use your old monitor as your second monitor and not use it for gaming.

TLDR = 3 monitors works for gaming but needs a lot of power to run them at decent settings (SLI 1080 or better if running 1440p or higher monitors).
    2 monitors works best with one used for gaming then an old or cheapy monitor being used as a webpage viewing monitor to check stuff while gaming.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

5. Orestis Kotopoulos

Orestis Kotopoulos Guest

GPU:
    980 ti
    I want to buy a 1080 ti and 3 asus pg278qr 2k 144/165 hz. Will i be able to run all the 3 of them (in windows ) in 2k 144hz with a single 1080 ti.? I will be playing only using the middle screen

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It'll work, but buying 3 GSync panels to just play on one is overkill imo. Why not get one pg278qr, and add a couple of 4K panels? This way you get more desktop real estate.

Also prices right now are lolwut, but you seem to have $$$ to burn.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Racing and flight simulators are actually the prime uses for triple monitor setups.