In Need of a New Cpu + mobo?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Ndimz, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Ndimz

Ndimz Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070Oc
    Hello fellow Gurus

Happy 2016, I'm in need of new complete system build. I feel the need to go Red, get an AMD CPU + mobo but then again which one. Recommendations I have in mind was the 6600K i5 from Intel, budget might leave me facing towards the FX series processors. Secondly the so called APUs vs 8 core AM3+ ones regarding gaming, which one is best?
    Is there any new platform coming out this year from AMD perhaps

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I would definitely go with an i5 6600k + some decent Z170 mb. It would be better than anything AMD has to offer atm and even older gen Intel CPU's like Haswell.

Games will benefit from improved ipc on Skylake and if gaming is your thing that would be a best option.

3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I agree with what the guys are saying here Amd is just so far behind right now its almost a damm shame, Unless you wanna wait on Zen- and like alot of others we are all waiting to see how this new Cpu will fair against Intel. i wouldnt hold my breath to be honest.

You can however build urself a cheeper gaming rig using Amd Fx which I own and currently use, Fx 63oo, I also built my kid a Apu based machine for gaming and to be honest it has suprised me, It feels alot snappier then my 6-core Fx.You can see what I am running on my profile.

I would get Intel or go very cheep and go Amd. Theres no mid-grade anymore it seems.Haha/.

4. Ndimz

Ndimz Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070Oc
    nz3777 I suppose I can always wait and keep stashing till I am able to get an Intel Skylake instead or see performance of what AMD plans to release later on this year as Geryboy said. Undying you're definitely right about the Z170 chipset, it's the best one can get themselves right now

5. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    I am definitely pro AMD, but with a complete new CPU architecture+ platform (AM4) coming this year, the first since 2011, and a new graphics card lineup also somewhere this year, I would suggest to maybe wait for ZEN if you are going to be building a complete new setup anyway. If you really can not wait and you want your new PC now, well... I am afraid I have to recommend Intel then(with a AMD card mwoahaha). Newer intel platforms have DDR4 and PCI-e 3.0, which am3 both does not have (but AM4 later this year will have). I assambled a very good (if I may say so myself) computer for a friend of mine with a 8GB 290X, a Intel 6500, 256GB SSD and 8GB DDR4 for roughly 900 euro's. He can play every latest game on ultra/maxed out. All depends on your budget though.

6. Ndimz

Ndimz Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070Oc
    Sounds Super Garwinski, the newer the tech implemented the better. Now say I'm to get an LGA1151 supported board first what affordable recommendations would you make, I'll the drop a Skylake i5 later?

7. Stigmata90

Stigmata90 Guest

Ur system seems alright mate, get a R9 380 or whatever you can afford and should hold you till the next am4 cpus come out, just take ur vga to your new build then.

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I believe Carrizo is being released on AM4 as a stopgap until the 14 nm Zen comes out, meaning you'll be able to upgrade later. Expect AM4 to out in March...?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  9. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    +1

I thought about waiting for the new intels this year but went forward regardless during the 2015 holiday tech sales. I dont regret it in any capacity.

10. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    happy with my i7 5930K..:)

try to discover Haswell-E -X99 for comparison with Skylake - Z170 :D

11. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    I would wait for AMD Zen in late October/Early November. I will be doing a complete overhaul then pending AMD actually got it right this time. If you need something now look into an AMD 8320 with an Asus mobo. Should be able to do something for like $250 total