Video Card Upgrade need opinion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by antonyfrn, Aug 13, 2013.

1. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Hi right im planning on retiring my good old 460 next month and replacing it with a EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB FTW w/ ACX now im not sure if my PSU will cut it a Tagan BZ-800 watt as im thinking of keeping my 460 as a physx card if not ill just use it and parts to build my old man a pc.

Also what are the full fan specs on the ACX coolers and can they be replaced?

think theses are the correct specs for the psu

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Your PSU will be fine for that card. Have you already bought the 760, and if not what sort of budget are you looking at? Maybe we can find you a good deal. Either way it's a great setup and should work just fine.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    PSU is fine.

I know what Darkest will recommend you but if you already decided can't go wrong there, enjoy your new card.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Haha.

The 760 is still a fantastic card as long as you get a good deal on it. No harm in checking however.

5. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    PSU will be fine. Though not sure if there's any point to keep 460. Maybe you could sell 460 and get GTX 770 instead of 760? 4GB VRAM not too useful on a single 760, but could come in handy when going SLI down the road.

ACX coolers seem to be quite noisy.

6. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Cheers guys ive seen it on scan for £250 what's around the max I want to go could go £300ish max but I wanted to save some of the cash I got coming end of the month. but I think after that next upgrade is my cpu. but doe anyone know exactly what performance difference I can expect between a 2Gb and 4GB variant as with the 2Gb ?

Thinking maybe use the 460 to build my dad a simple little pc seeing I got a 500 watt psu laying about and AM3 mobo in the draw only down side is the ddr2 memory

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. leeaids

leeaids Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
    unless you game over multy screens, you wont see any diffrance between 2gb or 4gb

8. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I second this

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    not yet, although there's a few games that easily go over 2gb vram usage, bf4 alpha uses over 2.5gb @1080p from what I've seen. Next gen ports will be more and more vram hungry. I wouldn't be buying a gpu with 2gb vram nowadays.

10. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Frostbite is known to scale and reserve vram based on the amount of available ram on the video card. Likelihood is that it isn't even exceeding 1.75gb of actual usage at 1080p.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    frostbyte 3? anyway, bf4 is only one of a few games. and don't forget the new consoles are coming soon and their ports will most likely be a lot more vram demanding.

12. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Of course new games will be more vram demanding, especially with the next gen consoles. However, there is no standard metric to measure vram usage, nor is there a way to predict how much vram future games will require.

What do you think the odds are of a current gen 2gb card being able to throw out enough horse power for a level of detail that demands more than 2gb? The GTX680 and other equivalent cards are already being taxed by a lot of games that don't even touch 1.5gb of vram.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yes but with the amount of RAM available on the new consoles devs can now take the liberty of piling up higher-res textures and whatnot in RAM. The demand on GPU is less likely to scale with VRAM usage as much as we see now.

Maybe it'll just be an issue of not being able to run really high-res textures if you have insufficient VRAM.

And good to see you back Lavans.

14. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    There is a problem when it comes to textures though. You can only go so high in texture resolution before the difference in texture quality cannot be seen during conventional gaming. At 1080p, I sincerely believe that most people will be hard pressed to see the difference betweek 4k and 8k textures, assuming that developers even go that high. Honestly, I wouldn't expect developers to exceed 2k res textures in most commercial games for the next couple years, not just because of memory usage, but also because of distribution. Max Payne 3 is nearly a 40gb game, which easily pushes the limits of Bluray disks, and can chew up a lot of bandwidth for those who are bandwidth limited.

What can also eat up a lot of vram is dynamic shadows. Honestly, I see developers dramatically increasing the shadow resolution, and number of shadows in general, more so than texture resolutions.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I agree with what you said. The bandwidth limitations can be overcome by offering a choice. High-res texture packs, like they do in Sleeping Dogs for example.

Interesting remark about the shadows, gotta look into that I guess.

16. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Looks like I'm going to go for the 4Gb in a few weeks thankfully I found the extra cables for my PSU was worrying I've lost them. plus there isn't to much price difference think maybe £30. Still not sure if my 460 is worth using for PhysX as not many games seem to be using it atm think only one would be BL2 I own (not sure if the new batman will use it)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Good to hear. 4GB will at least make adding a 2nd card for SLI a viable option in the future.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  18. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Yeah in which I saw the sli performance of the 760s rival the titan at a low price point it was something I considered too before I went toa 770.