Software industry leaders urge the general population to take up programming

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by deltatux, Feb 27, 2013.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Today, the non-profit group, Code.org is encouraging students to take up computer programming. Needless to say this in a tech forum, but only 1 in 10 US schools teach computer programming to students.

Watch this short movie and encourage those around you to learn to code too. If an NBA super-star loves to code, anyone regardless of their passion should program too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=dU1xS07N-FA&hd=1

deltatux

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Maybe when it becomes a bearable task to do, I'd consider it.

3. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    I did it for 2 years and then i stopped, i disliked and ahd no idea what the hell i was doing

4. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Like many things taught in school some of it is barely ever used in the real world unless your job requires it. (and ffs no, I'm not saying school is bad and you shouldn't know how to read or do basic math etc)

Saying that, they should at least offer it for sure but not force it. Probably having kids make a game or something that would peak their interest or some outcome that they'd actually like which would take the boring sting out of it. That'd make a lot more sense than having to suddenly learn it when you enter college.

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    [​IMG]

Would places hire you even if you don't have a degree for it?

I learned the basics in high school, but now have forgotten it. I do have fun messing with a game editor, but that's about it.
    When I think of the term "general population"...I don't have a positive image.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Many children go into a school computer lab with Sheldon Cooper-esque expectations of being able to do the programming equivalent of 'splitting the atom' straight away, and come out bitterly disappointed when all that they were shown was a BASIC three-liner on how to put 'HELLO' on a monitor screen!
    Perhaps schools would drum up a bit more interest in the topic if they were a lot more adventurous. ;)
    Not every child goes to school knowing that his/her dad has a high-end rig at home to practice on.
    That pic of yours really sums up the situation, FULMTL!

7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Well, i clean at a school and all they seem to learn is how to stuff there faces with sweets,chocolate and fizzy drinks then throw the rubbish under there desks,so learning the basic...

1 rem HELLO
    2 print"HELLO"
    3 get"";end
    4 goto2

ENTER

HELLO
    HELLO
    HELLO
    HELLO
    HELLO
    HELLO
    HELLO

is all you can probably expect but why bother...i learnt that at home on my ZX81 back in the early 80`s,teach them something useful like how to sign on at the job centre cuz
    the way things are going thats what they will be doing

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I couldn't think of a more more mind numbingly boring job than programming...

9. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Good programmers are hard to find.
    WBP (wanna be programmer) are the 90 % of the market offer.

BTW, good programmers are really well paid.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Always wanted to give it a go, but how hard is it?

11. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Pretty much these two posts. I studied Software Engineering (fancy way of saying programming w/ some clue on how to work as a group) and didn't enjoy it at all, dropped out before I dug myself in a hole.

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I was planning on programming or game developing.

but then companies only hire u for a project then let you go.

I was also considering computer engineering, but the cost too much for me. and I could not get good funding

13. ibitato

ibitato Guest

it depends.

For me, it's 80% thinking, 20% coding.

Normally, it's the other way around, thus, problems and frustration arise

you need education to get started, but after that, its up to you to
    get better and better.

once you know the basics, you can pretty much jump from one language to another, concentrating on knowing the libraries, the functionality they provide
    and strenghts/weakness for each one.

Engineering software its a complete different story.

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I been really great with programming but my math skills havent been great. and these school look at the math skills.

Had trouble with entrance exams. and I chickened out when I saw the math test.

15. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Did it as college and hated it, maybe if they did games programming I would have given a damn.

16. ibitato

ibitato Guest

programming games is not that fun, believe me.

17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    its fun to program computers to insult the user....

yeah I got suspended for that.......

18. ibitato

ibitato Guest

I've been implementing DRM for my company's product ,
    and the one getting insults its me LOL

19. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    A better idea would be to have mandatory typing courses in school. While most won't use programming, nigh near everyone ends up typing in their careers. I was fortunate enough to have typing classes in my junior high and that is the one skill that has stuck with me from that long ago and it set me up with a brilliant base for touch-typing. I think word processors should be used so as to offer no distractions yet give more capability than simple typewriters. It's just so maddeningly annoying to go some place where the person taking your information is doing the two-key-punch at 5 words per minute because they never learned how to touch-type.

20. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Even though it wasn't mandatory, I remember my first computer teacher back was I was around like 6 or 7 making us all take typing lessens on older computers from the 80s (and this was in the 90s and we eventually got newer Windows pcs years later). She'd even cover the keyboards with a black sheet of paper which would hide ours hands and force us to almost muscle memorize the keys.

But

Now I type one handed fairly fast (I think from wasd in gaming) and have to look at the keys so, go figure. Whatever works in the end I guess, and this works for me.