Frame limiter causing CPU Temp increase?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Linxa, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Linxa

Linxa Guest

GPU:
    980ti 6gb
    Hello guys,

I recently noticed something strange... When playing many different games, specifically call of duty infinite warfare, my CPU temp was unusually high, even higher than my GPU, this made no sense to me so I investigated. I went into my BIOS and defaulted everything and updated it then re-enabled XMP, that is all, rest is all preset. FOR SOME REASON when I limit my FPS to 60 the CPU temp on my PC goes 10 degrees higher than if I have it 130fps+ then it's normal. this is what happens with call of duty specifically. Other games they make the CPU run overall a little higher when limiting their fps to 60 but then when I unlimited the fps the CPU temps also go down. Overall I've noticed a very clear and instant correlation and it doesn't make sense to me, please can someone clarify this?

Thanks,

Sorry for query being badly written, I was sleepy...

WINDOWS 10
    I7 6700K
    EVGA 980TI
    1TB SSD SAMSUNG FOR OS
    6TB WD BLACK FOR GAMES
    ASUS V3 HERO MOBO
    16GB RAM

2. Linxa

Linxa Guest

GPU:
    980ti 6gb
    UPDATE

Tried to use Nvidia Inspector to limit the FPS.

Resault: Managed to cap the FPS at 60 as desired WITHOUT affecting CPU temp, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT! :D Except it now causes input lag ever so slightly.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Precise frame pacing for maximum smooth frametime require CPU wait loops. So it is up to you to choose the tool depending of your reasons of enabling frame limiting.