Video recording CPU usage reduction possible?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by HeatSurge, Jan 2, 2013.

1. HeatSurge

HeatSurge Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 c216 679/1080
    Hi,

I've been trying to record some Natural Selection 2 footage with MSI Afterburner.

Everything works well as intended, I have absolutely no issues, except I was wondering if there's a way to reduce the CPU usage while video recording.

I've tried various settings - full frame (I play at 1080p), half frame, 720p. I've also tried Lagarith, UT Video Codec, Uncompressed, RTV1.

All of them give me quite a large CPU hit. With other games it wouldn't matter as much, but with NS2 it absolutely destroys the FPS since the game is so CPU-hungry.

I've played with the "multithreading" settings as well; couldn't really see a difference.

I was wondering, is it possible to reduce the CPU usage to almost 0 somehow (even if it results in uncompressed files)? Where is the CPU usage coming from? Can the CPU usage be moved to the 2 CPU cores which have low usage automatically and leave 2 cores on 4-core processors for the game itself?

Also, I have a question for Unwinder: how does the program resample the frame from 1080p to 720p and the other selectable choices. Is the resampling done on the CPU? What method is it (nearest neighbour, bilinear, bicubic, lanczos)? Can the resampling be moved to the GPU, or at least offloaded to another core from the main game thread core?

Thank you for making a great app! It's absolutely awesome.