I need help in deciding which television to buy.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by TheDigitalJedi, Feb 4, 2004.

1. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Hello all,

There are two televisions that I have my eye on. One is the 40" RCA Scenium and the other is a 46" Sony. Both are $1000.00 at Circuit City and they both have features that I like. (The Sony is actually $100.00 more.) I'm having a hardtime deciding which T.V. to pick. Here are links that show the specifications of both T.V.s.

http://www.thomsonscenium.com/Produ...9DFEEACCE358,00.html?gLevel=2&gID=1&gParent=3

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...plateName=item/sy_item_b&ProductSKU=KP46WT510

I have the RCA in my apartment now but I can switch to the Sony if I want. I know for a fact that the RCA has better sound and it comes with a built in progressive scan DVD player. The RCA also has a headphone jack on the front panel which I find very cool. It even has equilizer options specifically designed for the headphones. The sound system is the Dolby II virtual surround sound and it sounds excellent. The RCA doesn't support 720 progressive scan which is the main disappointment I have with this television. It only supports 480p and 1080i. The picture in picture options on the RCA are not as good as the options built in the Sony.

The Sony television has a bigger screen and it supports all progressive scans such as 480p, 720p and 1080i. The salesperson allowed me to connect my XBOX to the T.V. and we tested games that support 720p. Soul Calibur 2 looked absolutely amazing! I know future gaming titles will support 720p and in widescreen format. The picture in picture options on the Sony were far superior than the PIP options on the RCA. It had so many neat features that caught my eye. The sound system is impressive but it doesn't quite sound as good as the RCA. It doesn't have a built in DVD player either but I have one that I can hookup to the TV anyways.

So I'm at a crossroads and I don't know which path to take. I need the opinion from someone who is good with HDTVs or heck, anybody's at this point. :D I'm very confused in which decision to make. Please take a look at the links I provided and give me your thoughts.

Thanks Gurus,

Digital

Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  2. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
  3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hehe, I don't know much about TV's. Buut, I have bad experiences with tv sound in general, and Virtual Surround doesn't sound good at all in my opinion. My parents have something that on the tv at home, and to put it nicely, it doesn't impress me. So they bought a real surround system instead ;)
    Just a suggestion. why don't you do that too? IMO real surround can only be achieved by having a real 5.1 speaker setup.
    As for the tv itself, I'd probably pick the Sony, basically because I know they are good at making different types of screens. I'm very confident that they are able to make a high quality tv of that type/size. And after all, it is bigger, and as we all know, bigger is always better :p
    Anyway, Good luck on the purchase, I'm sure you can't go wrong with either of those ;)

4. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC

5. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Hm.... I've always been leaning towards Sony when it comes to devices like that. And for the prices being "only" $100 think you should go to Sony. (personal opinion thought)

6. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    I'd definately go with the Sony.

7. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Thanks everyone,

I'm leaning towards the Sony. The option of having 720p is definitely something I want. Before I asked for help, deciding which TV to buy was giving me a headache. The RCA Scenium has a beautiful picture and it looks so good in my living room, but the Sony may look better. :)

8. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Palit 7300GT DDR 550/1500 ^_^
    JVC museè is good

9. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Hello all,

Thanks for the replies in this thread and the private messages. Both TVs are great but I decided to purchase the Sony. I just couldn't ignore the 720p option. I also purchased the Onkyo sound system because I was due for an upgrade. Thanks again to everyone.

10. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Well..i have to go work about 5month without paying a single bill and i woud have money to buy 40+ tv:D

11. SaNTaCRuZ77

SaNTaCRuZ77 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3450 512MB
    Hey Jedi, how's it going?? :)
    Definately go with the Sony, they're known for high end picture quality as you mentioned, and I wouldn't touch a TV with a built in DVD. What if the dvd stops working, then is the whole system gone to ****? Yeah..just an oppinion haha. The Sony is listed at 1.6k you said you could get it for a grand? That'd be a sweet deal. I have a gateway 42" HDTV and love it. That extra picture quality is worth it..who really needs headphone equalizers on your tv, most are built in dvd/surround sound systems. Do yourself a favor and go get the Sony :) Cheers

12. s3R!4LK!LL3r

s3R!4LK!LL3r Guest

As you described... I would buy the sony one you know... built in DVD or some other devices are not that good, cause if you have problens with its hard to fix and everything (of course there is the garante, but when its over... you will know what I mean), I would look first at image quality than sound, you can improove the sound later with some extenal Home Theather device and good 5.1 sets...
    By the way... I would love to plug my PC in TV of those ... =)

Hey, plug your pc and take a pic of it for me and for us plz !!!

PS.: Sorry I am late on this topic.... I just saw the DigitalJedi sing on the sky and came over to help him ! :p