Can't Boot Into Safe Mode (Windows 8.1)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Tyler Dalton, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Hi, I am posting this because I have a problem that has me stumped. My system is running fine, I can boot it normally, no problem. My problem came when I went to reboot it into safe mode to uninstall some drivers. I go to boot it into safe mode and it flashes the safe mode screen (SAFE MODE in all 4 corners, no icons, cursor in the middle) for a split second and then goes to a black screen. If I move the mouse cursor, the cursor reappears for a few seconds then disappears again. I saw my HDD activity LED blinking so I gave it 10 minutes but still a black screen. During all of this time, I can still move the mouse and get the cursor to reappear, sometimes reappearing with the "loading" cursor.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and how I should go about fixing it? There is nothing else wrong with the system, it just doesn't want to boot into safe mode, and I don't want to not be able to get into safe mode if I have a serious need to in the future. Thanks.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you did not disabled fast boot feature then cold boot process differs from reboot process. Try enter safe mode from restart.

3. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Tried both, no go.

4. Derragon

Derragon Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670/2GB
    Do you have more than one monitor attached to your computer? If you do, I'd try unplugging one of your monitors temporarily while you're trying to boot into Safe Mode.

First, I'd try using CTRL+ALT+Del to see if the system is responding at all. It might simply be that the Explorer process isn't starting, which would mean you would get the cursor but without any actual menus. Getting into Task Manager via CTRL+ALT+Del and starting the process "Explorer" (File > New Task > "explorer") might resolve that portion of it.

Otherwise, I'm not 100% sure what would be causing this. Sorry!

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  6. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Only one monitor, CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work, only hitting the power or reset button the the computer. And I am using Option #2 to boot into safe mode that was listed.

7. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Also I've ran sfc /scannow and no problems were found.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sounds like the default VGA driver isn't working properly in safemode

Do you have a remote desktop app/program / other PC you could use to reinstall it while in safemode with networking ?

Or just use remote desktop to do whatever you need to do in safemode

9. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Well, I seem to have fixed it. Did a non-destructive repair of Windows and now it boots into safe mode just fine. Now that I actually got into safe mode, it seems it was freezing as it tried to load the welcome screen with my user icon and such. Maybe something had gotten corrupted, I don't know, just know it's fixed. Thanks to all that offered help.

10. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    try removing power cables from your GPU card
    and boot to safe mode without the power cables