Qualcomm 2560 x 1440 Mirasol smartphone screen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 23, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Check out this demonstration of Qualcomm's upcoming Mirasol displays at the SID Display Week 2013 expo. The most interesting prototye was a 5.1" panel with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, a pixel ...

Qualcomm 2560 x 1440 Mirasol smartphone screen

2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Am I the only one that thinks some of these resolutions for mobile devices are kinda stupid?

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Nope, I think it's insanity. On a screen up to 7" in size I think 1280x720 is ideal currently. In 5 years from now perhaps I'll think 1080p is more ideal, but not now. 1440p is absolute overkill which will be difficult to power and will be a serious drain on the battery.

4. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    I can see it both ways. It takes tech like this to push for improvements in other technologies (like batteries). One is always pushing the other. Though it seems like batteries have been the achilles for tech since the smart phone and electric vehicle. They need to step it up!

I think it's a pretty awesome screen. Should make other integrated displays (like in-dash displays for cars) a lot better.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Wouldn't that depend on what you're doing? This screen is designed for color e-readers, not pushing 1440p worth of gaming. My Nexus 10 is 2560×1600 and I get 8 hours of browsing the web and whatnot. This technology, since it uses significantly less power, would see probably near double that. 16 hours is pretty decent.

Apple did the research a long time ago and found out that anything over 320ppi @ 10 inches is pretty much the maximum of human eye. But the technology of the display also comes into effect. For instance Samsung uses a RGBG layout on it's displays which was clearly noticeable even at 300+ PPI from a distance. The S4 uses the same RGBG layout but because it's PPI is upwards of 400+ it's no longer noticeable.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Well yes, I think the pentile displays are horrible. I can't understand why Samsung hasn't already made it standard to have RGB even if one of the colors wears out faster... or whatever the reason is. My Atrix 4G (qHD) was pentile. After seeing normal 720p from my Nexus 4, its like heaven. I've seen the HTC One too, it's even better - if you hold it up to your nose. I still feel like something is lost even with high resolution pentile screens.