Radeon 5470 1gb display problem, horizontal lines flickering

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by kibbalat, Mar 20, 2014.

1. kibbalat

kibbalat Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5470 1Gb
    Hello World,

I've been having the following problem now for sometime and can not figure it out for the life of me:

I've got a Asus K72dr / Radeon 5470 1gb with Windows 7 64bit OS. It also has the black screen issue with newer Catalyst drivers, which has been well documented here. 13.4 is the last one that it works with. I've been trying pretty much all the older drivers I've found on the web, obv the driver on ASUS's support website, have reinstalled Windows a couple of times, cleaned fans etc. Basically done everything I could come up with.

So the PROBLEM:

For example on VLC and Netflix(all browsers) I get flickering horizontal lines usually on the top part of the screen (basically some horizontal lines seem to be updating on the screen some ms slower than the rest of the screen, on Firefox I get the same type of an effect when scrolling down on web page. My Anysee DVB is practically useless since this effect is horrendous on it whether I use DXVA or not.

The peculiar thing is, Windows Media Player plays my video files just fine, also IE scrolls down web pages just fine.

I do not have the original cd/dvd with the drivers that the laptop shipped with (this problem did not exist before I had to reinstall Windows).

So any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If someone might have the original old Video driver that might also help. If there is someone out there who likes a challenge, I would be endlessly grateful for any help.

2. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    If I were you and I "reinstalled Windows a couple of times," I'd say enough is enough! Just buy the cheapest new (or used via Craigslist) video card you can find [since it seems you don't play games]. Your CPU doesn't warrant a faster GPU. Your problem sounds very odd...

3. kibbalat

kibbalat Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5470 1Gb
    Sorry should have made clear that Asus K72dr is a notebook and video card can not be replaced. It's about 4 years old and has worked well as a media center so far.

btw, if there are any tests that are known where I could start narrowing down the problem, I'd appreciate that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    What version of BIOS is used on that K72Dr laptop?

I see here: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=K72Dr&p=3&s=249 ...that BIOS version 212 is update-ing VBIOS (video BIOS for integrated Radeon 5470 card). If that laptop is using BIOS 206 then I say to try to flash BIOS 212, 215 or 216 and see will that help.

What method did you used when transiting from one VGA driver to another. Try Wagnard DDU: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ ...there is no better alternative for complete driver removal ATM.

5. kibbalat

kibbalat Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5470 1Gb
    I used DDU & also re-installed OS to make sure.

But concerning the BIOS, I actually did update the BIOS right away on the very first Windows re-installation, and now I'm wondering if the newer BIOS is actually the reason for this. I tried to flash back to the original version, but at least Windows BIOS Flash Utility does not allow me to do that. Is there another way I could do this?

6. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I see AFLASH2 Utility V3.03 on Asus download page for that laptop so you can do a BIOS flash under pure DOS enviroment, that's the way I would do it if I had a choice, BIOS flashing under DOS it's much, mush more secure than flashing BIOS from Windows, I have no doubt about that.

1). Make some DOS bootable USB flash drive (FAT32 file format)
    2). after that download BIOS flash ulility for DOS and desired BIOS version for laptop
    3). unzip both ZIP files and copy AFLASH2 Utility V3.03 and BIOS file to that USB flash-drive
    4). DON'T FORGET TO PLUG-IN AC ADAPTOR INTO LAPTOP
    5). boot laptop via that USB flash drive
    6). start AFLASH2.EXE and choose BIOS file to flash and wait for procedure to finish. I guess at command prompt: AFLASH2.EXE BIOSFILENAME ...would also do the trick. Or in laptop BIOS look for option: Start Easy Flash ...many Asus K"something" laptops have that option under BIOS.

Worst case scenario is that Radeon Mobility 5470 chip needs propper reflow, but it's not that hard to do that, but I would leave that for the end if no opther solution helps. I could help you with suggestions how to do that propperly, forget about baking a motherboard in oven...

Did you clean a hot air exaust hole on that laptop? Overheating of Radeon GPU could also make similar simptoms like yours.

7. Braadkip

Braadkip Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I would replace the cable that connects de display with the motherboard.
    I use to repare laptops for Compaq, and problems similar to yours often were fixed with a simple and cheap replacement like that.

8. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Just because of that below I don't think it's a cable related problem.

To OP: when you connect laptop to TV via HDMI cable do you have same symptoms?
    If not: than maybe it's cable related problem
    If yes: than it's a VBIOS, drivers or faulty GPU related problem

As I said earlier maybe reflowing (or better: reballing) of GPU will solve a problem, but let that be your last option.

9. Braadkip

Braadkip Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Ofcourse i cannot guarrantee cablereplacement is the solution, but if have seen weirder things.

10. kibbalat

kibbalat Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5470 1Gb
    Hi again, thanks for the suggestions and sorry it's taken so long to reply.

So basically like a proper idiot I flashed the old Bios (206) using Winflash from prompt with /nodate option, and all went well. Except when I booted up the laptop all I got working was the power led, so bricked.

I found an undocumented way to reflash bricked laptops from usb on Insyde Bioses and after a bit of research managed to flash newer Bios (213) back and now the laptop is working again. Tried to flash using EZFlash from Bios, bricked again. Will try from DOS but guessing the same result will happen. I'm guessing maybe the newer BIOS takes up more space on the ROM and when trying to Flash back to older one it is not properly erased before the reflash.

Checked on HDMI output to monitor, same problem so cable is not the issue. Cleaned airflow, new paste on cpu&gpu etc...oh yeah did a clean format and reinstall of whole system just to be sure

A bit of an impasse, I really would love to figure out a way to get that old BIOS in there before resorting to reflow hacking, though from what I read it does look fun...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

11. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Did you tried with AFLASH2 Utility V3.03 under pure DOS (my #6 message here)?

Once more:
    4). DON'T FORGET TO PLUG-IN AC ADAPTOR INTO LAPTOP (before flash procedure starts)

12. kibbalat

kibbalat Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5470 1Gb
    Tried booting to DOS and Flashing with Aflash2, same thing, computer bricks.
    Only difference was that AFlash2 actually said after flashing that there was an error.

I would need a 3rd party app that makes sure the rom is completely erased and then flash again. Dunno if such an app exists, and it would probably be pretty risky as it might also erase the recovery option on the Insyde Bios.

So alas, no easy solutions. I might try installing Windows 8.1 as apparently new Catalyst drivers work there for 5470, though I have a feeling it's either the VBIOS or a solder problem...