Sapphire AMD R9 280X DUAL-X AND PSU

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xartemporas, Mar 7, 2014.

1. xartemporas

xartemporas Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DUAL-X
    Hello!
    I just installed this card before 2 weeks but my system seems to have a problem when GPU is on full stress. This happens only in 3 games (COD Ghosts, Red Faction Armageddon and Assasin's Creed Liberation HD) at random times when I play. My other games( f1 2013, fifa, pro, trials evolution, assasins creed black flag, battlefield etc) are fine.
    At first, this was happened more often, and now that I underclocked my cpu to 3.6ghz with less voltage, It seemed to be a little more stable for 2 days, until it crashed once again last night while i was playing. My screen just goes black and the system crashes(sound remaining at first moments) and the only thing i can do is restart.
    My thought is that I have a PSU problem(I have THERMALTAKE TR2 550W). Sapphire says 750watt supply is required, and also i have read in forums that this card needs almost 350watt in full stress! Really hungry.. If this info is correct, I feel that I need a new PSU.. I hope it is that way, I dont want to think that card is damaged. I must mention that I dont have any other problems, like flickering or black screen, or crashes when i dont play games. And this happens only in these 3 games I mentioned above. Also PSU is really noisy when I play games..The same thing happened with my old 7950, but now I have these crashes,too. I haven't tried another psu till now, I just want to ask your opinion. Any help from you will be valuable.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    A decent 500W PSU is all you need. More likely to be the GPU anyway, black screens are quite common with that particular GPU card...check event viewer for messages.

Btw why do u have a 280x when your old card was a 7950? Do you know they are nearly identical?

3. xartemporas

xartemporas Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DUAL-X
    I forgot to mention that I bought this card because unfortunately my 7950 died after I tried to install Gelid Icy Vision-A cooler on it... :/

Anyway I have also read about issues with these cards..But it happens only in these 3 games for me.. and PSU really becomes very noisy.. So you think it is not the psu? The only sure thing is that my 550watt psu is stressed a lot while i am playing. I thought it could be the problem.

How can i check event viewer?

4. Ripshod

Ripshod Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7950 FAN 3GB
    Thermaltake TR2 = dual rail if I'm not mistaken. A 550 should be able to handle that card so long as you ensure each power plug is connected to it's own rail.

As xartemporas pointed out a 500W should still do it, but as everyone recommends must be single rail.

I've saved many peeps RMAing with this little snippet of info. Surprised more peeps don't pick up on it :s

*edit*

If it's not the RX version of the TR2 then it's what Thermaltake class as a 'value' psu. So it could still be a power issue specific to that range. Best to stay away from anything 'value' if you're gonna load it.

5. xartemporas

xartemporas Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DUAL-X
    Thanx for your answer!
    Yes it is dual rail.. It is not the RX model.. I have it since 2009. Something i forgot to say before is that sometimes after shutting down the pc after crash(holding the button), it turns on back again itself immediately(and u can still hear its fan.. it is very noisy when I play games, maybe overheating, it seems very stressed, thats why i think it is the psu..but i am not 100% sure because other people have similar issues with these cards)
    I would buy another psu anyway, not only for this card.. I cant hear this jumbo jet sound on my room anymore.. I chose XFX Pro 750W Black Edition

6. Ripshod

Ripshod Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7950 FAN 3GB
    When I quoted you I meant to quote Pill Monster, soz.

Never use XFX PSU's but good name so should be good for ya.

Let us know how you get on ;)

7. xartemporas

xartemporas Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DUAL-X
    hehe no prob ;) i understand it
    Yes as i have seen in some reviews, this PSU is very good. I will install it next days when i got it and see...If problem continues I will start thinking RMA..
    For now, I will test the machine , underclocking my cpu to stock settings, trying to see if it is a power issue or not.

8. Ripshod

Ripshod Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7950 FAN 3GB
    You'll have to underclock a fair bit to see a change. Maybe disconnect all drives except the OS drive. Disconnect the CD-ROM. Anything that uses the 12V will add to the load.

9. xartemporas

xartemporas Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DUAL-X
    well.. i underclocked cpu at stock, and i removed secondd hdd and dvd-rom and crash happened again.. 2 times. At second time i had no blank screen, sound crashed too..

According to Event viewer i have this info:
    Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 3/9/2014 5:28:27 PM
    Event ID: 41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level: Critical
    Keywords: (2)
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: Home
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>3</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-03-09T15:28:27.938140000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>5892</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Home</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

I googled and after reading microsoft support site about this event I suppose it is more likely to be a power supply problem..

I am on this scenario:

" Scenario 3: The system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive (hard hang)

Click here to show/hide scenario
    The Stop error code and the PowerButtonTimestamp are listed as zero. For example, consider the following scenarios:
    The Stop error BugcheckCode value is listed as zero. Circumstances can prevent writing the Stop error BugcheckCode information before the computer restarts or shuts down. In this case, a BugcheckCode value of zero is logged. Also, perhaps no Stop error occurred, and the shutdown resulted from a power loss. For example, on a portable computer, this could mean that the battery is removed or completely drained. Or, on a desktop computer, this could mean that the computer was unplugged, or a power outage occurred.
    The PowerButtonTimestamp is listed as zero. Circumstances can prevent writing the PowerButtonTimestamp information before the computer restarts or shuts down. In this case, a value of zero is logged. This can occur if the power button is pressed and held for at least four seconds when Windows has an operation running that prevents writing the event to disk. You might also see this scenario if the computer is “hard-locked” and therefore unresponsive to any input, and the computer has to be powered off. To determine whether the computer is unresponsive, try pressing the CAPS LOCK key to toggle the CAPS light on the keyboard.
    To check whether this scenario is occurring, press the CAPS LOCK key on the keyboard. When you do this, if the CAPS LOCK light on the keyboard does not change when you press the CAPS LOCK key, the computer may be completely unresponsive (hard hang).

This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. To help isolate the problem, check the following items:
    Overclocking: Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system is run at the correct speed.
    Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
    Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
    Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
    Defaults: Reset the system back to the system defaults to see whether the issues occur when the system is running in its default configuration. "

Any info/opinion would be useful , Thanx in advance

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  10. Ripshod

Ripshod Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7950 FAN 3GB
    41 is just a generic error you get when a system hasn't been shut down properly. If there's no relevant errors previous to this it kinda reinforces my suggestion that the PSU can't handle that card. Is there any way you could get hold of another single rail psu say 650W just to test with?

11. xartemporas

xartemporas Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DUAL-X
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

There is no revelant error before that.. This is my case:

The PowerButtonTimestamp is listed as zero. Circumstances can prevent writing the PowerButtonTimestamp information before the computer restarts or shuts down. In this case, a value of zero is logged. This can occur if the power button is pressed and held for at least four seconds when Windows has an operation running that prevents writing the event to disk. You might also see this scenario if the computer is “hard-locked” and therefore unresponsive to any input, and the computer has to be powered off. To determine whether the computer is unresponsive, try pressing the CAPS LOCK key to toggle the CAPS light on the keyboard.
    To check whether this scenario is occurring, press the CAPS LOCK key on the keyboard. When you do this, if the CAPS LOCK light on the keyboard does not change when you press the CAPS LOCK key, the computer may be completely unresponsive (hard hang).

This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. To help isolate the problem, check the following items:
    Overclocking: Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system is run at the correct speed.
    Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
    Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
    Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
    Defaults: Reset the system back to the system defaults to see whether the issues occur when the system is running in its default configuration. "

As u say, there is stll hope that psu cant handle the card according to these..
    As for overheating, my sys temps are fine. gpu 67max, cpu with stock speed max 45(with coolermaster hyper212 evo) and when Overclocked 65.(I dont know if VRM temps of gpu are ok, cause this model dont have a sensor for vrm). Unfortunately I dont have another psu now, but i will see what i'll do next days, until my new psu arrived. Thank U anyway. ;)

12. xartemporas

xartemporas Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X DUAL-X
    I finally took XFX 750w psu(it runs fine until now) and I have the smae problem with black screen In Assassins creed Liberation which I tested. I also have this problem when running furmark stress test and try to launch gpu-z after that. 80% of times I do It, system crash with black screen.. :/ .. I also saw that core clocks dont stay at 1020 constantly they drop to 870 and then go to 1020 again while gpu stressing.. I am thinking to go to the shop i bought to get another card but I dont know If they can find the problem cause it is on specific games and in the case of gpu z and furmark.. I also made a ticket to sapphire support after registering my product, explaining them my situation and waiting for their answer.