Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

Old
  (#26)
H83
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus ROG Strix GTX1070
Processor: I5 7600K @5.0Ghz (1.28V)
Mainboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F
Memory: G.Skill DDR4 16G 3200Mhz
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX
PSU: Corsair RM850i
Default 05-19-2017, 11:03 | posts: 1,834 | Location: Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undying View Post
Witcher 3 came out in 2015 so...
Funny everyone drools over Witcher 3 but i donīt think itīs anything special. Itīs a good or very good game but nothing else, for me of course.

As for the best PC games era i think it was before 2007...

Old
  (#27)
XenthorX
Maha Guru

Videocard: Inno3D-AIO 980-ti@1500Mhz
Processor: i7-5820k@4.55ghz, H100i
Mainboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4
Memory: Gskill4x4Gb 2400Mhz cas15
Soundcard:
PSU: CORSAIR HX1000i
Default 05-19-2017, 11:28 | posts: 1,696 | Location: France

The era of Battlefield 1942 and its various mod, Desert Combat for instance, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault... LAN games and dedicated servers. I might be biased because this is truly my childhood passion but i feel this early 2000s /2003 era had something special on PC.

It was before the Dark time, before the Empire of console domination and nowadays smartphone domination.

Last edited by XenthorX; 05-19-2017 at 11:30.

Old
  (#28)
ramthegamer
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
Processor: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.0 GHZ
Mainboard: Asus Z170-K
Memory: 16Gb Ballistix DDR4
Soundcard: Realtek High Definition
PSU: Corsair CS 550w
Default 05-19-2017, 12:34 | posts: 2,569 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by H83 View Post
Funny everyone drools over Witcher 3 but i donīt think itīs anything special. Itīs a good or very good game but nothing else, for me of course.

i agree , the best modern pc gaming era was btw 2002 and 2007 i would say, so many great shooters and pc games in that period

Old
  (#29)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 970 ACX2.0 4GB
Processor: Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2400
Soundcard: Creative Sound Core3D
PSU: Thermaltake Evo-Blu 650w
Default 05-19-2017, 12:53 | posts: 8,070 | Location: Kansas, USA

Quote:
2004... FarCry, Painkiller, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2.

But, for me, 2011 was one of the best years in gaming.
Dead Space 2, BulletStorm, RAGE, Skyrim, Serious Sam 3, DX: Human Revolution... Arkham City, Portal 2, Uncharted 3, Saints Row: The Third, Dead Island...
And there were many other titles as well. Truly a great year.

2007 was okay, but.. I was disappointed by BioShock. Crysis was okay. And STALKER was really cool.
But really, none of the big releases that year really "wowed" me.

Old
  (#30)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe v2103
Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: XFX PRO Black Ed. 850W
Default 05-19-2017, 13:58 | posts: 14,792 | Location: England

This thread 'inspired' me to load up both Crysis and Crysis Warhead on my new GTX 1080 Ti last night. Both games were originally installed from disc and I used a NoDVD hack to bypass the need to use said disc to play the game. Yesterday, I decided to just install the games from Origin, which simply detected both games on my D drive, verified and updated them and I was able to play them both, including having all my saves uploaded to EA's cloud service.

However, while Crysis Warhead's 64bit executable loads fine, the one for Crysis doesn't and causes the game to crash during loading before I even see any of the loading screens. The 32bit executable for Crysis works fine though running the game in DX10 (as is Warhead).

Does anyone know why Warhead 64bit works fine but not Crysis? They both use the same engine as far as I am aware (Warhead is basically a standalone expansion). I've seen various posts about getting the 64bit executable working for the Steam version (since it only installs with the 32bit version) but the Origin version, like the disc version, includes both the 32bit and 64bit files.

P.S. I still think the game (Crysis) looks fantastic and running it at 4K with maxed out settings and 4xMSAA yet still getting pretty much a locked 60 fps (bar autosave/checkpoint hitches) is a real eye opener when I think back to 2008 when I could barely run the game above 20 fps on medium settings at 1024x768!!!

Old
  (#31)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe v2103
Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: XFX PRO Black Ed. 850W
Default 05-19-2017, 14:03 | posts: 14,792 | Location: England

Quote:
It *is* special even if you don't appreciate the gameplay. For starters, it raised the bar for what open world RPGs should be like in terms of story-telling, quests, voice-acting, writing and cinematic direction. It's the most immersive game I have ever played and even now it still amazes me how much attention to detail the game has and how superb all its quests are. There literally is no filler here like your average BioWare or UbiSoft game has yet the game, even without the excellent expansions, has tons of content and hundreds of hours of gameplay.

It is even more amazing that the game came from a relatively small studio, one that managed to shame Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series (great games for sure but definitely not in the same league as The Witcher 3 even though they clearly inspired CDProjekt Red when they created it).

Old
  (#32)
Teisco
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
Processor: i7 5930k
Mainboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme
Memory: Corsair DDR4 16 gig
Soundcard: Nothing special
PSU: 1000 watt
Default 05-19-2017, 15:16 | posts: 605 | Location: Out there in Iowa

Witcher 3 is the most beautiful game I have played in over 20 years of gaming. I am not really into the combat but the detective work and the way Geralt's voice over while looking for clues is right out of my favorite game of all time, LA Noire.

Old
  (#33)
Alex13
Maha Guru

Videocard: Nvidia
Processor: i7 4820k - @4.4
Mainboard: Gigabyte ud7 x79
Memory: 16GB Quad@2.4 CL9 Mushkin
Soundcard: Z-5500 / Cloud II
PSU: Supernova 1000W
Default 05-19-2017, 17:52 | posts: 1,836

Quote:

PC is better than ever. It's a much bigger and profitable market than it used to be.

Old
  (#34)
SerotoNiN
Maha Guru

Videocard: nVidia GTX 1070 8GB
Processor: Intel i5 6600k @3.5GHZ
Mainboard: MSI G1 Gaming Board
Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200 G.Skill
Soundcard: SB X-FI MB3
PSU: CoolerMaster 700-Watt 52A
Default 05-19-2017, 19:36 | posts: 1,928 | Location: Chicago

1.) People hold this games nuts too hard. Crysis looked way watered down compared to it's bullshots in 2007 and plenty of people complained. But like everything with humans, revisionist history happens accordingly. The game was boring and basically an interactive tech demo. If it was as amazing as people make it out to be today, it would have done better, sales-wise. The game looked great for it's time. By no means is it even in the same breath as titles that are even on consoles, like Horizon Dawn, much less PC games...

2.) My favorite year for PC was 2004. FarCry, Half-Life 2, Doom 3.

3.) PC may be healthier in terms of sales, but until it gets some AAA exclusives, it will never be the same. Extremely powerful hardware is gimped by console ports or low level graphics hooked on iap's. What's impressive about Crysis is it was a PC exclusive for it's time, as was it's expansion, ironically, thanks to Cervi crying piracy and epic games following a long, rather than both admit their games at the time sucked (UT3 from epic) they went on a tangent of piracy claims and PC hasn't gotten jack squat in the way of high-profile exclusives since. Aside from Blizzard, who ports to console rather than from console to PC. And they seem to be very successful...hmmm..in the end Crysis almost pisses me off now, because of the piracy fuel it added to the fire. A stigma that PC has yet to wash off even as the platform has become extremely financially lucrative.

Old
  (#35)
glock38
Maha Guru

Videocard: Radeon R9 285 2GB
Processor: Intel i5 2500k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68 B2
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Realtek HD
PSU: Corsair CX750
Default 05-19-2017, 23:23 | posts: 1,765 | Location: London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
It *is* special even if you don't appreciate the gameplay. For starters, it raised the bar for what open world RPGs should be like in terms of story-telling, quests, voice-acting, writing and cinematic direction. It's the most immersive game I have ever played and even now it still amazes me how much attention to detail the game has and how superb all its quests are. There literally is no filler here like your average BioWare or UbiSoft game has yet the game, even without the excellent expansions, has tons of content and hundreds of hours of gameplay.

It is even more amazing that the game came from a relatively small studio, one that managed to shame Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series (great games for sure but definitely not in the same league as The Witcher 3 even though they clearly inspired CDProjekt Red when they created it).
Completely agree with this, in fact I loaded it up and started a new playthrough today. Missed frolicking about in Novigrad.

I'd have to agree with the general consensus in this thread though, PC gaming's golden era was in the 2000s.

Old
  (#36)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Default 05-20-2017, 05:23 | posts: 8,070 | Location: Kansas, USA

Having been some time since I had played them, I reinstalled Crysis today.
Downloaded it through Origin, then... hunted down the patches and installed them. And started playing.

While still very visually impressive, it doesn't have the "WOW" factor it used to. Specially when it comes to character models and animations.
But, I'm going to keep playing just... to see how it holds up. I remember really enjoying the first half, the second through... about fifth levels were great.

Would be nice if I could add Crysis: Warhead to Origin.

Old
  (#37)
ramthegamer
Maha Guru

Default 05-20-2017, 06:00 | posts: 2,569 | Location: Dubai

i agree with having fun with the first 5 levels, because of the setting and the openness of the area, it feels as ur free to go by land or by water or through the bushes, it's this what makes it fun, this was the first time we get a game with good graphics with sandbox gameplay, that s why many people still hold it as a special game, and it is, it raised the bar of gameplay in the shooter genre, first game to raise the bar was farcry in 2004 with that pc exclusive game, i wish we are still getting aaa games like those, but as people have already mentioned the problem of not having AAA titles for pc,
i'm happy with battlefield 1 and some of the heavy titles we got lately, but wish to have crysis 4 as AAA title.

Old
  (#38)
TR2N
Master Guru

Videocard: AMD
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 1000W
Default 05-20-2017, 07:45 | posts: 526 | Location: Your PC

Kudos to Crytek.

Anyone have a time machine?
Bring back the PC developers.

Old
  (#39)
Redemption80
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
Processor: i7-2600K @ 4.7ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67
Memory: G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB
Soundcard: Nvidia - HDMI
PSU: Corsair GS800
Default 05-20-2017, 08:37 | posts: 17,596 | Location: Glasgow

I was never that impressed with how Crysis looked, it might have been because I played it a bit after release so was subjected to people hyping the visuals and the physics to over the top levels.

It was definitely ahead of it's time, but the main reason it looked so good because of the setting, similar to how i thought Lost was a great looking TV show, and the physics started off ok but then annoyed me a few hours in.

It definitely doesn't stand out now though, no idea how anyone can think that, even the mods consist of people looking at rocks with extreme DoF applied lol.

Last edited by Redemption80; 05-20-2017 at 08:41.

Old
  (#40)
Zenoth
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSi GTX 970 4GB
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro B3
Memory: G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeMusic
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Default 05-20-2017, 09:46 | posts: 855 | Location: Canada

This is obviously very subjective.

The first Crysis was extremely impressive at release, and it became a 'standard' for following years. I remember that even when Crysis 2 came out, hardware reviewers in particular were still using the first game for benchmarks (the second too, of course, but the gist is that the first one was never put aside). I haven't played it myself, although I've seen a few gameplay videos on YouTube (so of course, lower resolution mostly and encoding, etc, wouldn't do it proper justice), but Crysis 3 seems to be better-looking than the first, and certainly better than the second. I'm referring to default here, no mods involved (otherwise it's different in all three cases).

However, with this said, I do believe that as far as 'photo-realistic' / 'real-like' / 'gritty' graphics and visual styles goes, that the original Crysis along with Crysis 3 were very recently surpassed by Star Wars: Battlefront. And I suspect that BF2 will look even better than the first. But, as I said... it's very subjective. Still, in retrospect, looking at the first Crysis and understanding what hardware we had at the time and thinking that the developers used that to create that game is mind-blowing. It was definitely far ahead of its time. And, on a side note, I'm probably one of the few select in the minority who actually liked the zero gravity 'alien' level, in fact it just blew my mind (in a positive way). Indeed, overall, a pretty good game with an interesting story and a sense of mystery about the aliens. Then, Crysis 2 came out... oh well.

Last edited by Zenoth; 05-20-2017 at 09:49.

Old
  (#41)
S.T.A.R.A.C.
Master Guru

Videocard: HD 7970 3GB WindForce
Processor: Intel i7-2600K
Mainboard: Asrock P67 Pro3
Memory: Kingston DDR3/16GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX620W
Default 05-20-2017, 09:51 | posts: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post

Where did you get this from?
TW3 is influenced by Gothic and some Bioware games, and developers even stated this. There is zero Skyrim in TW3.

Old
  (#42)
Undying
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 280X Vapor-X
Processor: Intel i5 @ 4.8Ghz-1.38v
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Memory: HyperX-16GB @ 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek onboard
PSU: Tt ToughpowerXT 775W
Default 05-20-2017, 10:19 | posts: 9,556 | Location: Serbia, NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.A.R.A.C. View Post
Where did you get this from?
TW3 is influenced by Gothic and some Bioware games, and developers even stated this. There is zero Skyrim in TW3.
Indeed.

CDProjekt Red even said they are huge fans of Gothic series and its one of their best rpgs of all time.

http://www.techradar.com/news/cd-pro...es-of-all-time

Old
  (#43)
S.T.A.R.A.C.
Master Guru

Videocard: HD 7970 3GB WindForce
Processor: Intel i7-2600K
Mainboard: Asrock P67 Pro3
Memory: Kingston DDR3/16GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX620W
Default 05-20-2017, 12:05 | posts: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undying View Post
Indeed.

CDProjekt Red even said they are huge fans of Gothic series and its one of their best rpgs of all time.

http://www.techradar.com/news/cd-pro...es-of-all-time
Konrad stated many times how Gothic is their main influence. And this is visible in TW3, especially with environment design.
They have however criticized Skyrim about bad unmemorable characters.

Old
  (#44)
the9quad
Maha Guru

Videocard: 1080ti MSI Gaming-X
Processor: i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth X79
Memory: 32GB G.SkillTridentX 2400
Soundcard: ASUS XONAR DGX/Sennheiser
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 1200W
Default 05-20-2017, 12:08 | posts: 828 | Location: Wilmington, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerotoNiN View Post
1.) People hold this games nuts too hard. Crysis looked way watered down compared to it's bullshots in 2007 and plenty of people complained. But like everything with humans, revisionist history happens accordingly. The game was boring and basically an interactive tech demo. If it was as amazing as people make it out to be today, it would have done better, sales-wise. The game looked great for it's time. By no means is it even in the same breath as titles that are even on consoles, like Horizon Dawn, much less PC games...
Except you would struggle to find PC games that look better than HZD.

As far as TW3 goes, that game has some of the most dull and boring game play ever, but is on every GOAT list because of graphics and its quests. People always say game play>graphics than worship games like TW3. I only mention that because you called Crysis an interactive tech demo, but at least it had some somewhat compelling game play. TW3 is nothing more than an interactive book with zero compelling game play.

Last edited by the9quad; 05-20-2017 at 12:13.

Old
  (#45)
H83
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus ROG Strix GTX1070
Processor: I5 7600K @5.0Ghz (1.28V)
Mainboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F
Memory: G.Skill DDR4 16G 3200Mhz
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX
PSU: Corsair RM850i
Default 05-20-2017, 19:20 | posts: 1,834 | Location: Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post
Except you would struggle to find PC games that look better than HZD.

As far as TW3 goes, that game has some of the most dull and boring game play ever, but is on every GOAT list because of graphics and its quests. People always say game play>graphics than worship games like TW3. I only mention that because you called Crysis an interactive tech demo, but at least it had some somewhat compelling game play. TW3 is nothing more than an interactive book with zero compelling game play.
HZD doesnīt look anything special from what iīve seen. In fact the graphics are on par with the one from Witcher3, in my opinion.

Regarding W3. the reason why i donīt think itīs anything special itīs because the combat is boring and depends too much on using magic, the story has some interesting points but in the end revolves around saving the world and a lame love triangle... Not to mention they transformed Geralt in the Bond of RPGs...
For me the worst part that really "kills" the game is the "open world" syndrome that affects lots of current games, where you have to go to A to talk to someone, then that guy tells you to B, C and D, that are usually on the other side of map, to fetch some items then back to A to talk again to the guy that tells you to E to kill the monster and then return again to the beginning to receive some prize!... Itīs so ****ing boring!!!

Thatīs why my favourite Witcher game was the first, it was different from other games and didnīt have the open world that ruins the game...

Sorry for the long rant but iīm sick of empty open world games and their fetch gameplay...

Old
  (#46)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Default 05-21-2017, 01:50 | posts: 8,070 | Location: Kansas, USA

Damn Crysis... crashing. Randomly.
Killing any motivation I have to play it at the moment.

Old
  (#47)
KissSh0t
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS RX 470 Strix Gaming
Processor: AMD FX 8320
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeMusic
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 05-21-2017, 02:07 | posts: 4,876 | Location: 0.0.0.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post
TW3 is nothing more than an interactive book with zero compelling game play.

Old
  (#48)
ramthegamer
Maha Guru

Default 05-21-2017, 02:46 | posts: 2,569 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Damn Crysis... crashing. Randomly.
Killing any motivation I have to play it at the moment.
set comptibility to windows vista

Old
  (#49)
ramthegamer
Maha Guru

Default 05-21-2017, 02:47 | posts: 2,569 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
HZD doesnīt look anything special from what iīve seen. In fact the graphics are on par with the one from Witcher3, in my opinion.

Regarding W3. the reason why i donīt think itīs anything special itīs because the combat is boring and depends too much on using magic, the story has some interesting points but in the end revolves around saving the world and a lame love triangle... Not to mention they transformed Geralt in the Bond of RPGs...
For me the worst part that really "kills" the game is the "open world" syndrome that affects lots of current games, where you have to go to A to talk to someone, then that guy tells you to B, C and D, that are usually on the other side of map, to fetch some items then back to A to talk again to the guy that tells you to E to kill the monster and then return again to the beginning to receive some prize!... Itīs so ****ing boring!!!

Thatīs why my favourite Witcher game was the first, it was different from other games and didnīt have the open world that ruins the game...

Sorry for the long rant but iīm sick of empty open world games and their fetch gameplay...
i agree with u on this, thats why i didnt feel th urge to continue playing actually

Old
  (#50)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Default 05-21-2017, 03:41 | posts: 8,070 | Location: Kansas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthegamer View Post
set comptibility to windows vista
Or... just play the 32bit exe instead of the 64bit one.
I tried compatibility earlier, didn't do anything. But, switching to the 32bit exe worked.