Searching for Small & Light (But Sturdy) USB 3.0-Equipped ATX Case

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PR-0927, Mar 4, 2013.

1. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    Well, I had created a thread like this back in September and completely failed to follow up. Thread got buried real fast. Anyways, it's about time for me to buy a replacement case, so this time I'll do a better job being cognizant of this thread.

Here's what I had written in the prior thread:

So far I've tossed together the following list of cases which I'm seriously considering:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=26908527

Anything I should be considering? Anything I should immediately disqualify from that list? Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

- PR-0927

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I've built in a couple of Corsair cases including a 200R for a family member a little while back, and you honestly can't go wrong with them. Given the option of the cases listed I'd probably go for the 300R without the Window. Works out cheaper, and I'm not a big fan of case Windows anyway. You could also consider the Fractal Design range.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Had my share of Lian's. Can't say a bad word about them. Things are built like a brick **** house.

4. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

I'm really liking the Corsairs, yeah. Why the 300R without the window, aside from aesthetic preferences and price? I do like windows so that's why I had listed that. Can you speak to the quality of the 300R in terms of durability?

Just checked out the Fractal Designs, and one caught my eye at the acceptable price point/specs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352026

Seems to be a USB 3.0-equipped variant of a prior case. BUT, people are saying that prior case felt very flimsy/cheap. Anyone have any insight on this?

That's what I'd heard, yeah - and that's good to hear! I've heard they're also fairly light because of aluminum materials.

- PR-0927

5. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    As it happens, newegg has a promo on Lian Li aluminium cases going on. All of these are USB 3.0 equipped and ATX:

PC-A05FNB $70 AR
    PC-A55B $52 AR AP !!!!
    PC-7HX $80 AP (not so small)

Just go with the A55B it's incredibly good bang for buck and small as well. The PSU is front mounted which allows for the low height.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Looking at the 300R without the Window is mostly preference to me, although you do save money. There's also the benefit of a solid sheet of metal being more rigid/strong than a panel with a window, which may or may not be of benefit to you. Speaking of the lesser of the Carbide line (The 200R) it was very well built for the price. Wire management was an absolute dream, plenty of mounts for fans, or even a custom water setup. It also included a dust filter for the PSU, which was a nice touch for the entry level price. The case was finished to a pretty high quality overall.

Fractal Design I can tell you less about. The case in question has won a number of awards, might be worth checking those reviews. I've heard a lot of good things about the R/Arc Midi lineup however.

As for the Lian Li cases, while I like their products and they are very well built, I find the options available in their cheaper cases don't always match those from other manufacturers. If I was buying a Lian Li I'd want to spit down a little more money I think. That said, I really do like the LIAN LI PC-A05FNB.

7. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

I was very much intrigued by these and grew fond of them in the short time that I researched them. However, huge problem: I have a Prolimatech Megahalems and an Antec TPQ-850, both of which exceed the size requirements for CPU HSF and PSU dimensions for the first two cases you listed.

:(

Appreciate the input! I've badly wanted to buy something Corsair 800D-like in the future, and seeing as how currently I don't have the funds or necessity for one, it's nice to perhaps get something that's a "runner-up." The 300R seems to be something like that.

Fractal Design I'm finding to be very beautiful!

- PR-0927

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
  9. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

Not bad, but exceeds my weight/height requirements. I considered the C70, but same issue there, plus the price.

- PR-0927