Thinkpad X220 overheating issue - solved

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by anticupidon, Jul 10, 2016.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello gents!
    A while ago i purchased a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad X220, which i use as a secondary computer.
    Since i have bought it, i noticed a slight temperature increase, but it grew worse.
    While in idle mode, the laptop was responsive, but somehow a bit warm for my liking.

[​IMG]

Running Prime95

[​IMG]

So i fired up some temperature monitoring test and that's what i found.Not happy at all, laptop was burning my lap and started to become a bit unresponsive..

So,time for a new thermal paste and some cleaning.

When i purchased the laptop, also i bought a new thermal compound, the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

[​IMG]

Open up the laptop internals, cleaned the cooling heatpipe and applied some fresh TIM.

[​IMG]

And the results are :

idle

[​IMG]

Burning test :

[​IMG]

Now, the laptop works as it should, the temps are lower.Having a room temperature of 34 C and being in the middle of spanish summer, i have to declare myself happy with the overheating issue of my Thinkpad.

Cheers !

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Good to hear that reapplying the paste helped ya out. My cousin's desktop had high idle and load temps and he had an AMD CPU and he had to reapply the paste and it solved his issues as well.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Thanks, i really didn't expect too much.I saw this TIM brand being in top in many reviews, but still.
    Now i am a believer, german quality top notch TIM.
    Did your cousin used the same brand , or another?

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I don't know what brand he used but I would assume what ever thermal compound he had lying around would be my best guess.