PAL vs NTSC Gamecube ( or Wii ) purchase inquiry

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by (.)(.), Aug 7, 2014.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hey all,

Im wanting to purchase a gamecube or wii with gamecube compatibility, but i would like to get an NTSC version of the gamecube as to avoid the PAL issue of being locked at 25fps/50hz vs the NTSC's 30/60fps (which is important for Star Wars Rogue Squadron/MGS TS (imo).

Two questions:

1. Do you think its worth it or do you think im just having a moment of materialism?
    2. Is the PAL Wii with GC compatibility affected by the 25/50Hz issue?
    3. Is it worth the effort of locating NTSC games, or would i have to look at modding the console.

I can emulate pretty much all the games i like from the GC on my PC ( except Star Wars Rogue Squadron ), but i agree with OP and the other posters in keasy's thread about how its nice having the OG kit on hand.

Cheers.

Edit: Ive just found this site in regards to imported games and playing them.
    1. http://uk.codejunkies.com/
    2. http://uk.codejunkies.com/Products/GCNWii-SD-Media-Launcher-2GB__EF000311.aspx

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I wouldnt bother, id just emulate, there is only a handful of games that dont work. If your still after a GC well ive got one in the attic. I doubt ill ever use it again.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    The PAL wii has the option between 480i, 480p and 576i, so it's up to you if you want it in PAL or NTSC mode.

Unsure how that translates into gamecube games though, forcing progressive scan would put it into NTSC though.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hey thanks for the offer Veteran, but i think your right, i'll just stick to emulating.

Thanks for that info scatman839.

Also, for anyone else who's had the issue with Resident Evil 0 not going above 25 frames or frequent drops from 30, the latest master build has the game running a constant 30 (game itself is hardcoded to 30).