Megapixal question.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Scorch666, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Apoligies for a retarded question.

Lets say a camera is 20 megapixels and takes average pictures, would lowering it to say 8 megapixals in the settings menue improve on quality with the pictures?

Hope you get what am asking.

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    It may see so at first because it would average the pixels and mask the noise a bit.
    But if the quality issue is that the colors are not right or that it's not focusing right/taking pictures fast enough, then no it won't help much.

3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yea I get what OP means, but no, most phones will simply discard info or crop the 20mp shot into 8mp, you can downsample them on your pc though, it will act as an anti aliasing of sorts

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Decreasing the resolution of the pictures saved shouldn't improve the picture quality. The camera will still effectively take the picture at 20 MP, but will save it at 8 MP. The main reason for wanting to do this is to save room on the storage card. If you had a true 8 MP camera with the same sensor size, type, brand, and generation as the one in the 20 MP camera, as well as the same image processor (so an 8 MP version of the same sensor) then the 8 MP picture should look better. This is because there is more light per pixel for the 8 MP picture than the 20 MP picture.

By choosing 8 MP in the camera options, the sensor still has a physical 20 MP size, the camera processor will either drop pixels to get down to the 8 MP size or do some form of downscaling. It is better to downscale on the computer with the right software, as any picture modifications you want to make would be best done on the 20 MP photo. For general use though, setting to 8 MP may be advantageous simply because you take up less room for the crappy images.

5. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    OK i understand.
    Thanks for your replys.

6. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Better quality lens and sensor...

7. gamehunter

gamehunter Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
    Yes, I support this anwer. The image processing unit will downgrade that initial picture to 8mp. compare the image sizes of both 20 and 8 mp images. I belive that 8 Mp will has low file size