Are You Going To Purchase a 4K Monitor?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by LtMatt81, Jan 8, 2015.

?

Are You Going To Purchase a 4K Monitor?

1. I plan to buy a 4k monitor within the next month or so

2.4%
  2. I want a 4k display but can’t afford it

11.2%
  3. I want a 4k display but my graphics card/s is not powerful enough for it

15.0%
  4. I'm happy with my current monitor

48.5%
  5. I want a 4K display, but the monitor is not suitable (refresh rate/TN etc)

16.0%
  6. I already have a 4k display

6.8%
  1. Haz-RT

Haz-RT Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070Ti SC
    Not getting a 4k Monitor until a $300 or less single card solution is viable, not any different than 1080p now.

4K monitors are just a waste TOO ME, not enough content.

2. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    No 4K for me until monitors can do 4K 144hz Gsync and cards can keep up with em.

2K until then.

3. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Voted : I want a 4K display, but the monitor is not suitable (refresh rate/TN etc)

Main 4K screen buying requirements for myself:

120+ Hz & LightBoost or better tech for flicker free viewing.
    Freesync
    Good viewing angles (use screen for movie with friends also)
    Low power usage (LED backlit)
    Usual other img quality concerns
    Good stand

Why you Need 120Hz + LightBoost (are newer versions of this tech now) : http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

I really don't like seeing my screen look like this when I am concentrating (happens in desktop or games, but worse than this image shows. There is nothing "wrong" with my screen as others cannot see it):
    [​IMG]

Some 4k screens claim flicker free at 60Hz, not tried and don't really trust it, but lets face it if you can see the flicker that bad, 60Hz looks **** too.

I might fold and buy one anyway to try in the next month or so (that flicker is so bad & only just discovered flicker free 60Hz 4K screens exist) then trade up to a better 4K screen later ^^
    - programmers will appreciate my desire of 4K also ~_^

I would Much rather 4K res and turn down a few options like reducing AA levels etc. I think folks are making Far too much of needing to game at Ultra detail settings, really -.-"

I am on my 1st high end GFx card (was at least when I got it) so am used to tweaking settings. Its pretty amazing how good games can look and run with high fps (60+) look with the right tweaks.
    Some visual settings have barely noticeable improvement tied with high performance impact. Once you are used to what to tweak I find most games can run Great at 1080 on mid level cards.
    So I don't see running a 4K screen on my 290X @ 60fps+ to be much of an issue... certainly on games I have check performance reviews of.

That said, AMD's 390X is looking to be a beast going by leaked performance charts, saving for one already :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    When we get more crossfire profiles or a single GPU solution that can run them maxed.

5. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    Saturday bought a 4K monitor, ASUS PB287Q.
    Is a spectacular display, is another world.

:)

6. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I'm sticking with my 50" 1080 KURO (plasma) until there's a decent 30" 21:9 non-TN monitor for under $500.

7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I'm happy with my current monitor and won't buy a new one before the price have been cut by 90%.

8. Pandora's Box

Pandora's Box Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
  9. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    Will i need another gtx 970 to go with the one i have run 4k or run a monitor like that lg 34 um 95?

10. Pandora's Box

Pandora's Box Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    2 cards are needed for 3440x1440 and 4K

11. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    I won't change soon my 1440p for now is good enough. Unless a major change happens when 390x comes and its indeed 50% better then my 290x or equal to my 2x 290x then maybe. But no game justified this to switch to 4k gaming.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I want a 4K monitor but won't be buying one in the foreseeable future due to the main problem being getting 60fps at that resolution. Then there's the issue of getting one which is a decent quality IPS or PLS at a sane price. No such thing exists as far as I know, and even if it did it's back to the "stop making my GPU cry" problem. I'll be sticking with my 10 bit 1440p panel. Too bad nVidia are douches and lock off 10 bit colour in all but their professional cards (through the drivers/BIOS last I checked).

13. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Not in a couple of years, it simply requires too much horsepower. I´ll probably go with 1440p freesync IPS or similar.

14. A7ibaba

A7ibaba Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Matrix R9 290X
    4K is ok,but I'm satisfy atm with apple thunderbolt monitor

15. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    I want one but not enough money in the future I hope to have a GPU that can VSR games in 4k smoothly though but at this time I only have an R7 260X I play many lower end games in 1440p.

I prefer Ultra wide screen over 4k.

16. c3k

c3k Member

I have 3 gaming rigs running at home, atm.

One is in a HTPC case, driving a 55" 1080p TV or, when I push the right remote control, a 110" 1080p projector. I sit about 12 feet away.

Another uses a single 24" 1920x1080 lcd.

The final uses dual 24" 1920x1200 screens.

My next purchase will be a 27" 1440 screen to replace the single 24" 1920x1080.

I distrust multi-card solutions. (I have used multi-card rendering in the past. I don't like the hassle or lack of support.)

For me to move to 4k would be a large investment. The new display; gpu's; content. And then, which machine would run it? Not my HTPC. The cost for a 4-5 foot 4k screen would be prohibitive. Okay, would one 4k replace my dual 1920x1200's? Probably not... That leaves the (soon to be) 27" 1440 display. Would I gain enough resolution for that to really be worthwhile?

Again, the single card solution to render 4k appropriately would be too expensive.

It'd be nice to have...but only if single cards can drive them and the price would really need to plummet.

I only buy IPS screens. The TN field of view issues are too restrictive. A 4k display would have to have similar field of view to current IPS screens. Refresh rates, color, etc., would all need to be top notch. I'm sure the price would be, too.

Drivers for dual cards are the biggest handicap. Yes, AMD, that includes you. (Hey, Nvidia, just because I didn't mention you by name doesn't mean you're doing well at this, either!)

I don't buy the top tier product. I usually look one or more steps down. The 390X is not going to be a player (unless AMD really drives a good bargain). The 390 may be. (In the same way I purchased a GTX970, not a GTX980.) I'm in the market for a new card. I hope the 390 fills the cost/performance requirement I'm looking for. Otherwise, I'll buy another GTX970. (Maybe eventually pair it up with one I already have to see if multi-card drivers have improved to the point I'd use them?)

Shrug.

4k is a bit too expensive right now.

17. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    Ill wait to buy one till they stop releasing a new 4k/6k/8k every year. Just doesn't pay. Now if you guys did something like Atmos...but with height and depth/down, THAT'd be something..

my triple 29" Ultrawide setup is quite sufficient for me at this time. :) less than zero interest to go to 4k with freesync and whatnot coming out currently as well. Last i heard, 4k was severely limited in refresh rate anyway, unless they have since corrected that somehow, 30hz, as I recall?

18. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    The poll is missing the 21:9 option some people have. I have one myself and would not go back to a smaller screen. Also the poll is missing the option '4k, no way i am going straight to 5k'. (This all imho).

19. proteinfolder

proteinfolder Guest

GPU:
    6x r9 290x
    to poor boo

20. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Yes, but it will take time. The graphic-cards are too slow for 4k.

And the screen needs to be IPS 120/144hz, low input lag and with free sync. 24"-27"