R9 380x Crossfire Issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by millyster, Apr 10, 2017.

1. millyster

millyster Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Radeon R9 380
    Hello,

I was wondering if there's anyone that can help me with this. I recently got another Gigabyte R9 380x and was excited to run crossfire on games like BF1 and CS GO. As soon as I set it up and started to run BF1, I noticed the loading screen is laggy and the sound flickers. Moving on to the game-play itself, it feels like disabling crossfire provides much smoother game-play and more FPS. The game is unplayable with crossfire enabled.I was hugely disappointed with the performance.I then tried CS GO, and its the same exact story. With crossfire enabled, my FPS drops and the game looks a lot worse than when crossfire is disabled. I run at a higher FPS and the game is much smoother with only one card enabled.

When I try to run BF1 with MSI Afterburner on, the game crashes and this error is displayed.

I included two short clips of BF1 game-play with and without crossfire enabled. Here's crossfire enabled, and here's crossfire disabled.

Can anyone help me out with this? I noticed when I turn on DX12 on BF1, it gets better with crossfire on but still, the performance is not as expected, I'm better off with one card than two. There surely is something wrong, I just can't figure out what. I tried swapping the cards around in the PCI-e slots, checking the PSU connectors, reinstalling drivers over and over again. Nothing seems to work.

Here's my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97
    Processor: AMD FX 6300 Six-Core Processor
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    GPU: 2x Gigabyte Radeon R9 380x 4GB
    GPU Driver: Crimson ReLive 17.4.1
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W Smart Zero Fan SLI/CrossFire Ready

2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    For 1, FX 6300 is gonna bottleneck the piss out of that gpu setup with crossfire in BF1.

Second, use DDU and uninstall driver and retry newest driver.

XFire video looks like either negative scaling, which BF1 crossfire works really good or cpu is literally at 100% and cant feed both cards fast enough. Is cpu stock clocks?
    I had a FX 8120 @ 4.8ghz and it barely handled BF4 with GTX 670 4GB sli @ 2560x1080.

3. millyster

millyster Guest

GPU:
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I will try DDU and uninstall the driver and get back to you. Also, yes the CPU is stock, no overclocking. I was looking at the new Ryzen 7 but that means I'd have to upgrade motherboard, RAM, etc. If you think it's CPU bottlenecking, which one would you recommend that would be a reasonable upgrade?

Thanks

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Welcome mate.

Honestly, if you do not want to get a new motherboard and ram, just get a FX 8320, which when I tested one was better stock @ 4ghz then my 8120 @ 4.8ghz and overclock the piss out of it. They oc very easily and it will handle the 380 xfire much better. Ofcourse, a 8 thread Ryzen would destory the 8320.

5. millyster

millyster Guest

GPU:
    I will look into the FX 8320, looks like it's fairly cheap at $150 CND, thanks for the recommendation. So I did the complete uninstall of the drivers with DDU and now somehow it's even worse lol. I uploaded a new video of how it looks now. It's consistently sitting at 25 FPS or so.

Thanks for the help! :)

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    You need to check the cpu usuage in the game.

Something is very wrong.
    And it does not look like its just a driver issue.

What resolution do you play at?

Crank in game resolution scaler to 200% and see what happens. It will force alot more gpu load. 200% would be 4k in game if your on 1080p.

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Personally, I'd save your cash and wait till you can afford a system overhaul.

8. CRTFTW

CRTFTW Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 380x X2
    Crossfire sucks in BF1. Stuttering, terrible frame pacing, you name it. Wait for them to implement multi-GPU for DX12, then it might become playable for you. Right now, if you enable DX12, it only uses 1 GPU.

But really, your CPU is way too weak for the game, even with 1 GPU.

By the way, I have crossfire 380x's and I've been playing a lot of BF1. Been using DX11 with crossfire disabled. DX12 still needs work, and I don't think DX11 crossfire will ever be good. I tested a beta of mGPU DX12 in CTE and ran well on a couple maps, but that was disabled in the latest beta for bug squashing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  9. SPARTAN118

SPARTAN118 Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X TRIX 8GB
    Put Post Processing to medium and turn TAA off.
    Enjoy.

You'll still be CPU bottlenecked however.