Sapphire r9 290 Tri-X Can't OC

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Fender178, Sep 18, 2014.

1. mtdew332

mtdew332 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390x
    I'm the one from the original thread linked at the Sapphire support forum that uploaded the new bios(s) to TPU. (that's why it says they were already uploaded...because they were.)
    And don't worry, both bios(s) were labeled correctly...LOL
    W1zzard is pretty backed up right now and tests all the bios's manually before making them available for download....so it could be a while yet until they show up on there....its already taken him a very long time since I originally uploaded them as you can see....makes me wonder if he'll ever catch up...or if he just skips some and moves on to newer cards/bios(s) that he feels are more important.
    I can imagine the amount of time it takes to test each bios manually....so who knows.
    Maybe I'll PM him again and explain why these bios(s) are so important to get added ASAP....I just don't wanna seem annoying as I'm sure he gets mountains of PMs every day requesting the same thing.

Anyway, as others have said, its easy to get the new bios elsewhere.
    Here is the original download LINK that was posted by the OP in the Sapphire support forum thread to download the new bios(s).
    (NOTE: This is the link that Sapphire support made the OP poster remove from the thread..its not my link, I just grabbed and saved it before it was removed)

It comes with the instructions that sapphire support gave him.
    But I don't like them, because they have you basically flash both your bios(s) at once.
    I did one , then tested it before flashing the other just to be safe/sure.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  2. Alien_Zero

Alien_Zero Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Are we talking r9 290X or R9 290...I ma a little lost!

3. Nurmi

Nurmi Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X
    R9 290, you and Hisenburg are the only ones with R9 290X. :banana:

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well I finally got a final OC of my card for now. It is 1060/1400 @ 25mv.

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    seems a bit low...

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah It seems to me that my card isn't that great of an OCer because from what I noticed I got artifacts at speeds @ 100mv he posted pics of.

7. saberwolf

saberwolf Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290x x2
    I too am having problems overclocking my TRI-X R9 290x

8. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    not sure these cards are the best cards to overclock with I mean the R9 290/290X in general ? .. at default voltage they run hot enough, does the volt increase give much heat difference ? and really the 25mv bios is just a work round, not a real fix, a real fix would be AMD deafault voltages 100% stable no voltage mod or overclock, as far as im concerned if they have to start tweaking voltages from default then its not a real fix to the problem of "why does it not work at default voltages?", probs why you have to ask for the bios and its not made public :(

im not saying my thoughts are correct although I cant help feeling that way, I am starting to think some of the gpu cores that came off the production line are less than steller but demand was grate at the start of production of this gpu by crypto miners so they just got through the testing?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014