Help me finish an over 8 year long project

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by itelite, Dec 8, 2016.

1. itelite

itelite Guest

GPU:
    Variable
    On another forum we have been working on an MXM Card swap in the HP HDX 9000 (Dragon) 20" Laptop.

The cards being swapping in are the HP Quadro FX2700m, and FX3700m.

It was long thought impossible, but last year i successfully completed the physical modification required and all but one aspect of the card works perfectly.

For some reason the brightness is very very low, though not off, and does not respond to increase or decrease via hardware keys or operating system methods. This is true of several different windows versions as well as Ubuntu Linux.

I am 99% certain this is a setting/flag/DCB issue i the vbios rather than a physical or electrical limitation. This is evidenced by the fact that i can flash a variety of incorrect bios to the card, and the brightness works correctly. In this case though other important things do not work correctly and in most cases it crashes in under 5 minutes.

So that all being said i have ruled conclusively ruled out the following possibilities:
    Hardware/wiring issue
    Driver issue
    OS issue
    CCFL Inverter issue (i have used an external powered inverter)
    PWM into stock inverter issue (fed in external PWM signal)
    EDID issue (i have modified edid values such as GAMMA and others)

There is something in the Quadro Bios (both 2700 and 3700) that is causing this brightness issue. As much as i have tried, and boy have i tried, i cannot determine what it is.

I hope there is someone out there that can help bring this mod to close finally.
    It is so very close.

Please let me know what you need and i will do all i can to provide it

it seems i cannot yet post links, but i have plenty of relevant files that i can share.

Thank You

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. 3DTraveller

3DTraveller Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800M GTS
    I have the HP Dragon...a unique laptop, with a fully adjustable 20.1 inch screen. It's only hampered by the flawed 8800M GTS. You're so close to making it work. Probably someone on this forum with Nvidia VBIOS expertise will be able to solve the problem. I only joined the forum recently, but have searched for information on it many times.

3. 3DTraveller

3DTraveller Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800M GTS
    If you want to experiment with trying 3700M VBIOSes and drivers, I found a computer other than the more known HP and Lenovo laptops which used the 3700M....the Eurocom W870CU Cheetah.

Unlike the Dell, which had a single lamp display, and the Lenovo which had a dual lamp like the HP Dragon, the 3700M in the Eurocom drove an LED backlit 17.3 LCD.