R9 270X Gaming card: only runs in safe mode

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Geekomatic, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Geekomatic

Geekomatic Guest

GPU:
    Onboard HD4600
    Hi all- new user here!

1stly-- I want to jam a stick in my eye I'm so over this card!!!!!!!!! :bang:

Now. I have tried the card in three different desktops- all easily capable of powering this R9. It does the same in all of them- black/bluish screen after showing the Windows logo.

I used DDU driver uninstaller, CCleaner, a registry search, etc...in-between tries.

Reset CMOS in between tries.

I tried about 5 different versions of CCC/AMD drivers, together & separately (no CCC). Each install says it completed the install successfully & do I want to restart- upon restart- nothing! The on-board LED troubleshooting lights are all green (meaning, no issues).

I tried 3 different monitors- trying to get output on the DVI.

I updated the mobo BIOS (Asus P8P67 Pro).

I tried different PCI-e slots.

I ran sfc & chkdsk. I also tried it w/o HDD attached & then attached HDD & ran diagnostics from drive maker- all good there.

Prior to this card, this same system was running, in the 16X slot, a HD6790 flawlessly.

There's so much out there about this issue I just cannot believe that AMD is turning such
    a blind eye/deaf ear!!

Full specs on this machine:

Asus P867 Pro w/newest BIOS
    i5-2500K (stock speed)
    Coolermaster GXII-750wt PSU (new)
    4GB RAM
    Win 7 Ult. 64 bit
    1TB WD Black
    DVD/RW
    MSi R9 270X Gaming 2GB (BF4 bundle, if it matters)

Help??

Edit- btw, it's my daughter's PC, not mine! ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I'd say it has to be a bad card. My Sapphire R9-270x is perfect

3. Geekomatic

Geekomatic Guest

GPU:
    Onboard HD4600
    Well yes, I'm sure some people have no dramas...but there are many who do?

It runs fine in safe mode- it's the drivers that cause the issue. So, I'm asking if anyone here might've run into this & solved it? I've read a few & following the steps didn't get it going as yet- but others, experiencing exactly the same, were lucky in the individual "fixes".

I'm hoping mine's still out there...

Cheers

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    After all I've read in your first post my bet is on faulty 270X card. In Windows Safe Mode GPU drivers are not initialized so card is not working as it should. If that 270X is not accepting drivers in Windows Normal Mode and BSOD appears after drivers initialization then most likely problem is on GPU side. You've tried DDU so there is not much you can do.

Just to be sure problem is on 270X side try that card in some other rig, if same problem happens again then you know what to do with it... either RMA or :knock:

edit
    Before hammer-time try to download adequate BIOS for that card from TechPowerUp and flash it in DOS mode to se if that will change something:

for BIOS backup: atiflash -s 0 nameoftheBIOSROM
    for BIOS flash: atiflash -p 0 nameoftheBIOSROM

edit #2
    I've missed that thing about trying that 270X in three different desktops, headache is killing me atm. BIOS flashing is your only hope now, or to RMA that card if it's still under warranty.

5. Geekomatic

Geekomatic Guest

GPU:
    Onboard HD4600
    Yep, already planned to try a flash. I think it's the 103.rom for mine + ATIFlash.

Can't hurt what's already not working, right?

Will let you know how it goes!

Thanks

Edit: any chance it could be heat? Doesn't seem hot to me, but I'm not afraid to pull it apart & re-do the compound (assuming it's standard arctic silver)? That's all I have atm.

6. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Heat could damage BGA solders between GPU & graphics card PCB, you could try reflowing GPU via this procedure: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4655623&postcount=13
    If you can use heat gun it's much more better (and secure) than baking that card in oven. With BIOS reflash probably this is most you could do by your own hands.

I doubt that reaplying thermal compound between GPU and heatsink will do any good atm, but if you decide to do GPU reflow you must reapply new thermal compound between two of them.

Any damaged/bulged capacitor on graphic card PCB? Wait, I see all CAPs on that card are Solid CAPs, chances are weak that any of those Solid CAPs is bulged...

One more thing... Before trying all above on the top of the card near two 6-pin PCI-Express power connectors you can find dual BIOS switch. Turn off PC, move switch to possition 2 and see if that changes anything.

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    If this is all on the same dvi cable try another.

8. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    OP, make a pic by phone or tablet of that: "...black/bluish screen after showing the Windows logo...", upload it to tinypic.com and send us link here with few spaces in that link because post count yet doesn't alows you to post links here.

9. Geekomatic

Geekomatic Guest

GPU:
    Onboard HD4600
    I tried to take the pic, but it ends up a mirror of the background in my house (even w/shades drawn)...Basically, it's a decent 27" Acer monitor (other was a nice Dell)- screen is not black, as-in no signal, but instead the dark-blue you get just before you'd normally boot to the Welcome screen/desktop/tiles, etc...

Have successfully flashed the 103.rom to both BIOS's via switch-- nada.

Tried the HDMI, thinking maybe the DVI's were somehow screwed- nada.

May be a baking is the final solution-- unless anyone has any other possible thoughts?

10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Are the reported problems only for that MSI card or for others as well?

11. Geekomatic

Geekomatic Guest

GPU:
    Onboard HD4600
    Contacted MSi- we'll see what they say. It's a gift, so I have to hope they are lenient.

Will let you know.

:)