Headphone talk

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by FULMTL, Feb 23, 2013.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  3. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
  4. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    About time I upgraded to be honest, I'm on the very budget but quite pleasant HD201s. They certainly perform better then their £15 price tag tho lol Bit muddy in the middle tho.

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    You be much better getting a headphone like the AD700 that was mention from Eclap that he mention he would sell you or AD700x and use a modmic or a cheap clip on mic since you have a Asus Xonar sound card. Amazon.co.uk should have a deal on the AD700 and AD700x.

neither headphones benefit from being amp so you be all set. In the end you will be getting more audio performance and more value from your money if you go this route.

6. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
  7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Nope, I've read great things on the X1 though and almost pulled the triggers. I know these are supposed to fix the X1 shortcomings. I haven't read any reviews though. I'd read through HeadFi before purchasing, but I'm sure you've done your research if you're thinking about pulling the trigger.

They will definitely be a great set of cans.

8. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    just caved and ordered the Alessandro MS Pro...confirmed that it will have the new "e" series drivers from an Aussie online store for AUD$729...amazing price considering it's USD$699 from Alessandro directly!

can't wait

9. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti

I will be very interested in hearing your impressions of these.

i almost bought a pair.

I have had the Grado RS1i and it is a wonderful headphone.....plays very very nice with rock music and any kind of guitars.

Congrats on your purchase.

10. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool mate, me too and I bought a pair of Denon AH-D600 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones, Black http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-d600

Can't wait either lol :)

regards
    ,RagDoll.

11. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    thanks buddy! i am very much looking forward to trying them out...coming from ms1 (still have it) -> shure 1440 (found buyer) now to ms pro...will be interesting, i listen mostly to rock/guitar music so grado/alessandro is an easy decision when it comes to headphones for me...even comparing the ms1 to the shure 1440 the shure without doubt is the better headphone technically speaking (better details, soundstage and deeper bass) but there is a "fun" factor that the ms1 has compared to the shure

been doing a lot of reading and it seems a few people that have tried the RS1e coming from RS1i actually felt underwhelmed and thought in some ways it went backwards...but ms pro has always been tuned differently though so i am not too worried, general feedback seems to be that the new drivers gives the grado's a more refined sound and fuller mids

congrats on your new purchase too mate! where did you buy yours? i ended up getting mine at minidisc.com.au and considering how bad aussie dollar is performing right now $729 for the ms pro really is absolute steal (which is one of the main reason i caved lol)...they replied to my inquiries very quickly too and free shipping just sealed the deal for me

waiting sux lol

12. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
  13. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Congrats Rag Doll

The waiting is the hardest part :p

14. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    looks great mate :)

also gridiron, i noticed you said you had the rs1i, do you mind me asking why you don't have it anymore?

15. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I bought a Senn HD800 and I needed the cash to help fund that purchase and I also wanted to buy a new amp and a new dac, so something had to go :)

I loved the RS1i and it was my go to can for quite a long while.

Once I get my system all in check....my plan is to buy a used RS1i again at some time....it will probably be awhile though.

I have my new dac but am currently waiting for my new amp to be built and that will not be until sometime after Christmas.

If I could have kept my rS1i...I definitely would have.

If i had to live with just one headphone, i could live with the RS1i with no problem what so ever .

16. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    that's fair enough, good to know how highly you rate the rs1i though!

17. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    so...to my (pleasant) surprise my MS Pro arrived today already...and here are some early impressions, do keep in mind i am no expert so hope this makes sense xD

first of all it is definitely the new "e" series drivers, easily identified by looking through the grill and seeing the new red drivers

build quality wise it looks good, i've heard that there are some subpar or even dodgy ones out there, since they are hand made and all, but i can't really find any real fault with mine thank goodness, did find one little kink along the cable (and that's being anal) but that's about it, headphone itself surprisingly light and cable surprisingly thick and heavy lol, and them beautiful mahogany wood cups, everyone loves wood

comfort wise it's ok, what you'd expect from a grado, i remember reading that they may have made changes to the material on their pads, the L cushion on this pair does feel bit softer and less scratchy compared to the G cushion i bought long time ago to try on the MS1, my biggest complaint though is that the adjustment stick thingy on the drivers are even shorter than the MS1 (it seems, haven't really compared it side by side), i have them fully extended and it still only just barely fit around my big fat head

now to the important part...sound quality

the MS Pro is running off my Creative ZxR and JDS Labs O2 amp

first of all, before getting into the specifics, it sounds absolutely fantastic, even out of the box

compared to my old MS1i and Shure 1440 the MS Pro is a warmer sounding headphone, warmer than i had anticipated actually, not sure if this is to do with the updated drivers, the warmer sound also made it less "grating" sounding compared to the MS1i and Shure

it has a big, full body sound, even compared to the Shure, the feeling is like when i first got the Shure compared to the MS1i

sound stage wise it's nice, i wouldn't call it big nor small, it's not as big as the Shure (by memory, it's already sold haha) but definitely not quite as in your face as the MS1i, though i would still consider this a more forward sounding headphone overall, the intimacy is still there

detail wise it's fantastic, already picking out stuff i didn't notice before compared to the Shure (which was better than the MS1i), one thing i noticed though is that i do feel the MS1i and Shure sounded "faster" compared to the MS Pro, maybe it's because the MS Pro is warmer sounding as discussed earlier

mids are just awesome as expected, treble is so smooth, but what really impressed me early on is the bass, whereas the MS1i was fun and had a bit of punch it was lean, the Shure had more presence and depth compared to the MS1i but i felt it was missing that fun mid-bass "bump" that the MS1i had and i would still consider the Shure more bass light overall, then along came the MS Pro, the bass has that impact and punch and now with the weight and body to go along with it, the bass is really jumping out and it sounds fantastic, i understand this headphone is supposedly no bass monster nor does it go really deep or anything like that but so far i am absolutely loving how the bass sounds on the MS Pro

so that's my early impressions, will chime in again once i've listened to it for a couple weeks to see if the sound changes much, will definitely post some photos once i get around to it :D

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  18. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Great little review, there.

I would like to hear the "e' series and probably will in the future.

I have always wanted to hear the MS pro, but never have....the RS1i had wonderful mids alao, and I agree 100% with you.....the RS1i was in no way a bass heads headphone, but did it ever have wonderful tight controlled bass, I loved it.

They should just get sounding better and better with the more hours you put on them.

Again, congrats on a wonderful pair of cans and I hope you can post some pics....I would sure enjoy seeing them.

19. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    thanks gridiron :)

i wish i've had heard the RS1 before to be able to give a direct comparison, i would love to hear your thoughts when you do get around to trying a pair of the MS Pro

i will definitely get some pics up eventually, waiting for my headphone stand to arrive too, hopefully won't take more than a couple weeks from china lol

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Well I found a set of Bluetooth in-ears for work that fit the bill nicely the sound profile is decent and the battery life is excellent. I get about 7 1/2 hours out of them and they only take 2 hours to charge. They weight almost nothing and stay in my ears without any issue they do get a bit uncomfortable after 4 or so hours but all in-ears do. Over all very happy.

http://www.amazon.com/JayBird-BlueBuds-Sport-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00AIRUOI8