Unreal Tornament Behind a big wall of fire

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Andy, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Andy

Andy Guest

I want to host UT IP games from behind my firewall. Ok sounds easy (well kind of), I just find out what ports I need to open on the firewall, give the contestants your firewall's ip number and way you go. Hum... so what ports do I need to open on the firewall?<br>
    <br>
    Does any one know? Or has even got this working?<br>
    <br>
    I hope this is possible, I think it is as I can host Red Faction games ok, but their website give you the ports to open.<br>
    <br>
    Oh, I can join other peoples games, not on the internet but by knowing there ip number, which is what I want to do.<br>
    <br>
    Thanks<br>
    <br>
    Andy

2. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    Ok, here is the info you need so that you can open up ports on your firewall. UT can be configured to change the default ports.<br>
    <br>
    Client Information <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    UDP Ports 2000-2009 for Pinging Internet Servers<br>
    Unreal Tournament attempts to use UDP ports 2000-2009 when pinging servers. If your networking configuration does not allow it access to these ports or if another execution of Unreal Tournament is running on the same networking connection and pinging servers, your execution of Unreal Tournament will not be able to ping servers, at all.<br>
    <br>
    LAN Beacon Port (8777 by default)<br>
    Unreal Tournament uses this port in communicating with servers on a LAN.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    In UnrealTournament.ini add these lines:<br>
    <br>
    [UBrowser.UBrowserServerList]<br>
    MaxSimultaneousPing=10<br>
    <br>
    The default is 10 but you can set whatever you are comfortable with. 15 is 50% faster, 20 is 100% faster, but be sure you know your system and network limits. I use 20 and it is much faster.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Server Information <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Server Query Receive UDP Port (7777 by default)<br>
    UDP Port 7777 is the default port which an Unreal Tournament Server receives ping/queries from clients. It is also the port which Unreal Tournament uses to negotiate a network connection for online play.<br>
    <br>
    This port can be set by editing your UnrealTournament.ini file and finding the section, usually at the beginning ...ents on a LAN.<br> <br> <br> Hope this helps.

3. Andy

Andy Guest

Hum.... Cut and Paste perhaps.... I looked at that site last night. But will double check the settings again.<br>
    <br>
    I tried packet sniffing whist connecting to the UT servers and the TCP ports seemed to change every time. A bit strange I thought. I opened them anyway but nothing. I did this about 3 times with about 5 ports a time. Believe me it took a while and still nothing.<br>
    <br>
    Will continue trying I am sure it will be worth it. Keep you posted.<br>
    <br>
    Andy<br>

4. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    ofcourse it was a cut and paste. Didnt think i was gonna do all that typing for a few measly ports did ya ? lol.<br>
    <br>
    What type of fire wall are you running ? On mine you can allow a program complete access to all ports. If you edit the .ini files like that website (and others) suggests then you can specify which ports to use.<br>
    <br>
    They shouldnt keep changing if those .ini commands are correct. I dont think the designers would delibratly publish this info if it wasnt correct.<br>
    <br>
    My CS server had access to only 20 ports but only uses 5, so i just edited the command scripts and changed the firewall to suit.<br>
    If you have any more probs just post.<br>
    <br>
    Ant