AMD Fury X Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Fox2232, Jun 25, 2015.

1. AHPD

AHPD Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6800 XT
    Display corruption.

I won't go with details, but try to get rid of most monitoring software as you can.

It's a driver + collision issue, not a GPU issue.

It's a VERY OLD issue, since launch.

2. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury

I kind of figured it had to do with the driver, seems this is an ongoing issue with amd.. Is this something I should return the card for or try to wait it out...
    I think I might have had fraps running in the back ground.. I'll close out fraps and turn it off completely and see if the corruption repeats...

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD will not solve this thing for you. Return card, get nVidia. Good luck. Or remove all monitoring software. Collision of such software is more problem of microsoft than anyone else. In windows 10, more monitoring chips you access, more problems you get with any hardware. Even IRQ micro freezes/several second freezes may happen with certain aggressive monitoring applications.

But I have not seen that kind of corruption or any other corruption caused by monitoring software.

Check your power delivery to monitor, ensure that it is not plugged into other power socket. That some of things you use with computer are behind UPS/protected socket while others are not. Measure that everything is properly grounded. Measure voltage difference (both AC/DC) between grounded part of monitor and grounded part of PC (Your monitor is likely to have USB ports and those are grounded.)

Edit: Mate, Maybe you should pull those serious connections in HW industry you are using for over a year and maybe they will deliver you some seriously working hardware...
    i5-6600K is officially out since Q3-2015 (HH review came in August-2015).
    That "Gigabyte GA-z170x-gaming 5" has 1st official BIOS dated "2015/07/17" Q3-2015, Gigabyte made unboxing video in September 2015. 1st Pictures of that board are shown in our local g3d news "07/07/2015".

I am not sure what you define as "Same Computer" or "over a year".

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  4. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury

I bought this monitor over a year ago, It has been on an fx8350/r9-290 based computer for most of its life. I built this I5-6600k system about a month ago,ran the same monitor on the integrated graphics for 2 weeks with not one issue, ran it on a hd6850 for one week with not one issue, ran it with an r9-290 for the past week.. The only issue I had with the r9-290 was the power limit issue, after I increased the power limit that gpu ran fine, and the monitor ran fine for that week and a day with no issues whatsoever..

This is a Fury architecture or driver issue or both.. This is now my second Fury based card that has had issues.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    A second card might be just bad luck. Have you tried upgrading the motherboard bios? If this was so widespread there would have been a mess. Also, do you have any other PCIe devices on the motherboard? On which slot is the Fury?

6. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury

bios is the latest bios, no other pcie devices in the machine...

The gpu is the only pcie device, its in the top slot..

The only other thing in this computer is the m.2 drive and its in the top m.2 slot.

The case fans are powered off the psu, didnt want the fans plugged into the mobo yet..

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think it is time for you to create separate thread for your particular issues. Because I bet that if I put my Fiji based GPU into your system it will manifest same issues in very short time and maybe incur permanent damage.

And I guess that if you had damaged IMC in CPU and added another 2 memory sticks which would finally reveal problem, you would replace "faulty memory sticks" 3~5 times before you would actually look for problems elsewhere.

What you are facing is not bad luck on Fiji GPUs, because that would mean incredibly bad testing on AMD's manufacturing lines (read TSMC) and even worse testing on AIB's sites. But if you believe that there is like 10% of defective GPUs made per wafer and 10% of those bad chips get to AIB and then 10% of those bad chips manage to pass through AIB's quality control. Then you have 1 in thousand chance that you receive faulty GPU.
    Guess what's your chance then to receive 2 faulty GPUs one after another? And what's chance to get 3rd faulty GPU. I think you should make bet in lottery, because you are already breaking through probabilities. And with next GPU, you are going to touch chance 1 in 10^9.
    But we both know that defect rate is much lower and multiple testings of chips prevents bad Fury (non-X) from reaching customers. Because if those had that bad problems, Full Fiji would have even worse problems. AMD would not sell them at all, because one working chip alone would cost more than entire Fury X does today.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  8. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury
    Your wrong.. I was somewhat correct.. Its a driver issue or Windows 10 issue or both.. I believe the above poster has nailed it.. I turned off Fraps and turned off the power efficiency setting in Crimson and the card ran 6 hrs continuously of unigine heaven maxed out with extreme tessellation and never went over 67c. I also cycled off the computer and changed the hdmi cable out to display port cable and ran Unigine Heaven another couple hours, then just let the machine set idle on the desktop and it ran like it suppose too all day... In the late night hours I put a 4% overclock (1060 gpu clock) on it and ran Unigine Heaven 3 times with no issues and seen a noticeable improvement on the minimum fps count.. It seems to be running pretty good for now, I seriously think it was the overlay of Fraps that was causing it..

Is 54fps a decent score with a Fury in Unigine Heaven at 2560x1080 Ultra settings, 8xaa, extreme tessellation?

9. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury

I think that was it... I turned off Fraps, which had the fps counter overlay and it ran perfect today, actually ran very good.. Thank you for the suggestion.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is not about people being right, partially right or wrong.
    It is about people having PICNIC, blaming hardware or its manufacturer. Leaving negativity for given hardware all around for eternity. Returning working hardware which poses cost to entire manufacturing chain as it has to go back to source for tests. Wasted time of engineers doing tests. ...

And then declaring victory as you finally look into possibility that you are wrong from start.

Damage is already done...

11. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury
    Well this first card was DOA so I wasnt wrong from the start, Doa or non working most current amd drivers, take your pick, when you cant log in to windows because the driver continually crashes its an issue.... It deserved a negative response for certain, a $500 gpu should work with no issues whatsoever, $500 for a gpu is a lot of money these days, new architecture or not, that is what their r&d cycle is for... The public isnt there to be beta testers..
    As I said , I would like to see the failure and return rates on these r9-3xx/Fury/Fury-x gpu's.. I bet its way higher than it should be, especially when you see guys post they are on their 4th gpu after having to rma them continuously.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What he's telling you though is that you blamed the hardware three times all the while you had a problem with your software setup, specifically a 3rd party program.

13. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Well, if the problem is because of third party software, nothing to do with drivers or hard, u cant blame hard manufacturer because of your crappy config on the PC.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Public should not be buying GPUs (on any other separate parts), public should be buying pre-made computer where OEM tests everything and guarantees it will work upon arrival.

Anyone who builds his own machine is not public, should be responsible for his own actions in selecting hardware parts and software. And should not return HW if he/she damaged it while installation or overclocking. Because it was again their decision to run HW out of specifications.

Nothing personal, I just do not like when people create this shadow pointing towards wrong source of problems. At least you did not damage HW intentionally. But we had cases like that here where people asked with what kind of ***** they can get away with.

Some funny (and big slap worthy), like that guy who thought that he buys card, places new cooler from it to his old card and returns old card as non working while keeping new card with old cooler.
    Some sad where people OCed and burned thing down with Voltage, but could not afford new part.

So, I am happy that things are working for you now. Do not OC for sake of OC. If you need few more percent from that HW, do it at your own risk.
    But Fiji GPU does not respond in linear way to OC as there are other limits in play which sadly includes HBM1 speed and latency.

Edit: As for return rate, I can do a little about that, as one of our bigger shops keeps statistics...
    GTX cards
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G - return rate 3.7% (3 years warranty here and on stores for only 18 months, so it may grow)
    ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 - return rate 4.3% (3 years warranty here and on stores for only 18 months, so it may grow)
    GIGABYTE GTX970 G1 - return rate 4% (3 years warranty here and on stores for only 18 months, so it may grow)
    MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G - return rate 1.1% (3 years warranty here and on stores for only 18 months, so it may grow)
    ASUS STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3OC-6GD5-GAMING - return rate 3.4% (3 years warranty here and on stores for only 8 months, so it may grow)
    MSI GTX 980Ti GAMING 6G - return rate 2.9% (3 years warranty here and on stores for only 9 months, so it may grow)
    Radeons
    MSI R9 390X GAMING 8G - return rate 4.0% (3 years warranty here and on stores for only 9 months, so it may grow)
    They have not sold enough of Fijis to get single statistical information, too bad.
    Sapphire NITRO R9 380 - return rate 0% (2 years warranty here and on stores for only 4 months, so it is bound to grow)
    MSI R9 380 GAMING 2G - return rate 1.4% (2 years warranty here and on stores for only 9 months, so it likely to grow)
    SAPPHIRE NITRO R9 380X - return rate 3.0% (2 years warranty here and on stores for only 4 months, so it is bound to grow)
    GIGABYTE R9 380X, 4GB- return rate 2.3% (2 years warranty here and on stores for only 4 months, so it bound to grow)
    Funny thing is that when you see 0% vs 4.3% it does not mean brand or chips are bad, it is easy today to get 2 people in 100 to return card because they had issue somewhere else.

But there are exceptions where cards prove to be reliable (resilient to OC) or simple enough to (low power draw).
    That exception is GTX 750Ti, guys here OCed living hell out of it and it lived. All cards and that shop lists 23 types of them have return rate between 0~1.8% more often closer to 0% than not.
    And then there is GIGABYTE GV-N75TWF2OC-4GI with 3.6% which is noticeable bump over rest of bunch.
    And Gainward GTX 750 Ti 2GB - return rate 6.1%. That's where one can say something went wrong.

But with higher end parts, people often have different reason for returning card than defect.

15. brucer

brucer Guest

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury
    Im not overclocking the gpu much at all.. The stock clock for the Sapphire Nitro Fury is 1050mhz.. The stock settings for the current 16.3.1 driver from amd is 1020.. I increased the stock clock 4% which comes up to roughly 1060mhz, I dont think 10mhz is going to hurt anything ;) ...

Why not overclock? Overclocking is free performance, AMD should get off their rearends and get these things lined out so people can overclock them or the Fury-x will never catch up to the 980ti that is in the same price range.. AMD marketing is acting like Nvidia marketing right now..

That 4% overclock I put on the gpu increased my minimum fps in Unigine Heaven over 20fps.. which is actually just a 10mhz overclock to Sapphires own specifications for my gpu..

Free performance is a good thing, It makes people want to buy from that manufacturer again..

16. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Not sure if i fit here at all with my nano card, but it is a fiji after all and wanted to share and compare my scores to those of others here.

Stock clocks:

Valley:

[​IMG]

Heaven:

[​IMG]

Firestrike:

[​IMG]

Overclocked 1050mhz on the core:

Valley:

[​IMG]

Heaven:

[​IMG]

Firestrike:

[​IMG]

1070mhz on the core crashed on dying light so i just took it as unstable, and as far as the memory goes, i haven't really tried to overclock it since it sets too close to the core that it would just raise the temps which might have caused throttling. Anyways, i wish to know how my score compare to a stock furyx. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Hmm, Now i have for Nano/Fury-Pro (but i will continue to save for POLARIS HBM :nerd:)

Nano is a really Great GPU and now when that price drops -> it's BEST GPU for The Money you can GET :) and Last very Long :infinity:
    Even for 2-3 years Gaming up to 1440p

18. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Well i like the fact i get furyx performance for almost 200 euros less, just with slight oc to 1050mhz. But since i get 2 weeks time to return the gpu without giving a reason, i am going to torture this card, and if in 2 weeks time decide it is no good, ill just send it back and hold on till the next gpus come out.

19. DeathOnAll

DeathOnAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon FuryX/4GB
    So guys, I'm back again (was on here some weeks ago)
    still the problem with my gigabyte consists of giving me too low performance (in heaven benchmarking, while using photoshop or vegas pro, and even in gaming, especially in guild wars 2 where I get ~10 fps. I tried overclocking my CPU, tried overclocking my GPU as to prevent an underclock, but nothing, nothing, and nothing again. Is the card broken, am I dumb, or is my PC build bad?

20. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    thats interesting.
    i just did oc my cards today to a stable oc that works out for me.
    thats what i get...

[​IMG]

i use the valley crossfire profile, everything else is default
    the oc can be seen in cpuz/gpuz.
    although i think 100mhz cpu oc does almost nothing in this case tbh.

if i dont oc the cards (1070 / 1400) then i get ~2950 score

so for me that means... apart from 4gb vs 2gb... and apart from chipset optimization in special use cases... per rule of thumb 2x 270x equals 1x nano in graphical compute power

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016