Im an idiot

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by scipio, Jul 1, 2016.

1. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I made a thread about my corsair paste not being good, so i reapplied some new paste which brought down the temps, I could bench at 4.6 but in aida 64 it would get into the 80's on the stress test. Other tests i was fine at 4.5.

So i'm an idiot, my backplate wasnt aligned with the notches that go around two screws on the back of the motherboard.....

Now at 4.7 it cruises in the 60's on any stress test..... begin throwing rocks now:stewpid:

Ill try 4.8 soon:)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Least you got it sorted

But anyway, here, catch

[​IMG]

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If the temperature starts going up noticeably with 4.8 I'd stick with 4.7. Water cooling could be a bit deceiving, not sure whether the excess heat will create stress on the pump etc to keep up? Is the pump a fixed speed one or variable?

How are other tweaks going, like RAM timings, refresh period, the 1T/2T timing? What about FSB (whatever it is called now) overclocking? If it is 100 you can really only go to about 102. The thing is, 48 (multiplier) @ standard clock 100 (makes 4800 MHz), is roughly the same as 47 @ 102 (4794 MHz), except with the later you overclock every other part of the computer as well. It's why it is a fairly sensitive setting. However, even if at 101, you could potentially have better performance (including frame rates) at a 47 multiplier than a 48 multiplier due to everything else being overclocked as well.

It's a very sensitive setting which is why it isn't normally 'recommended' to use, especially some idiots ignore advice and go to 120 etc :S. Some have zero luck with it.

In any case though, seem you seem enthusiastic to overclock I would recommend you trying realistic numbers like 102 or 101. Just keep in mind that at 102 you are overclocking the interconnect by 2 percent meaning graphics bus, memory, chipset etc. Even if you go 101 and leave it, it still can be beneficial.

Does Skylake have a separate overclock function for the cache like Haswell? What have you set that to?

4. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    The cache is set at 4.1, i will try and tweak it now that im at better temps, i tried a 103 clock speed before and my usb went screwy, but ill try again now that im stable.