Cant install latest AMD Catalyst on Win 7, system crashs and blue screen

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asifah30, Nov 27, 2012.

1. santana3

santana3 Guest

GPU:
    Thanks! worked like a charm on a inspiron 5559 6th intel! old thread but still works.

2. claw106

claw106 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 2400 XT
    I know this is an old thread, I'm not even sure if the entire forum website thingo is still active, but this needs to be stickied.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
  4. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Indeed this is an old thread, have something to add here though.

I used to get this exact type of a problem back with my 5870 Crossfire setup, later on my Fury-X (under Win7 only for a few releases), and what I did was just install drivers from "safemode" manually. I'd run the setup shield, immediately cancel the installation after the drivers got unpacked, reboot to safemode, install them manually, reboot normally, then install CCC.

Have a suspicion that this would achieve the same end goal, although both require unpacking the driver installer as is and thus are probably the same amount of work.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Just as a side note you can use 7zip to extract the drivers without having to fake install them just to get the files extracted.

6. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    In regard to having issues installing drivers, anyone can help me prevent Windows from installing a default driver before I do so myself?

I've been having BSODs recently and I'm not sure if it's because of the newer AMD drivers. All I can tell is that when I reinstall drivers, it seems to keep the BSODs away for a while. I've wanted to try going back to 16.11.5 since it has been the most stable driver for me, but Windows automatically install 17.1.1 before I get to do anything and this prevents me from going back to 16.11.5. I've tried telling windows update not to get involved in drivers, I've tried using gpedit to stop windows from installing drivers (which works as long as I block it, but AS SOON as I unblock it windows installs it). What's the simplest way from stopping Windows from installing anything, and allowing me to install the first display driver?

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Do a fresh install of Windows while not connected to the Internet. Have the desired drivers on a USB stick, or whatever. Run DDU to disable automatic driver installs.