Setting Up Samsung 840 Pro SSD in Raid o configuration??

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by bluride, Apr 3, 2013.

1. bluride

bluride Guest

GPU:
    G.SKILL RipjawsZ F3-19200
    I am attempting to build a new Gaming computer with the following Hard ware:

1) Intel i7 3930K processor

2) Video card PNY VCGGTX6804XPB GeForce GTX 680 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

3) Motherboard Asus Rampage 1V Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 Sata 6GB/S USB 3.0 extended ATX motherboard

4) Memory G.SKILL RipjawsZ F3-19200CL10Q2-64GBZHD 64GB 8X8GB DDR3-2400 CL10 240PIN Memory Kit

5) Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD

6)Hard drives 2 SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) in raid 0 configuration

7) Storage Hard drive Western Digital Black WD4001FAEX 4TB 7200RPM SATA3/SATA 6.0 GB/s 64MB Desktop Hard Drive (3.5 inch)

8) Power supply Corsair CMPSU-1200AX 1200-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 140mm Fan, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Model#: CMPSU-1200AX

9) Blu-Ray burner LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back (WH14NS40)

10) Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Liquid cooling system

11) Cooler Master HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel & Plastic ATX Full Tower Gaming Case (Black)

I want to setup the Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB SSD with Windows 8 pro and other apps.
    The 2 SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) I want to setup in in raid 0 configuration.

The Hard drive Western Digital Black I want to use for storage.

My question is this: I have seen it mentioned that
    TRIM needs an OS capable of initiating the command and also needs to be passed through to the drive (AHCI). RAID does not allow this command to passthrough with the exception of Intel 7-series chipset and RST 11.2 drivers and above... and this only works with single disks under RAID... still does not work for RAID0 disks."

Is this correct. That in a raid 0 config with the 2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB disks trim will not work using Windows 8 Pro??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    TRIM will work in RAID 0 on Windows 8 when running a 7 series chipset, just install the newest RST drivers and make sure you Option ROM is 11 or higher.

3. bluride

bluride Guest

GPU:
    Thank you pimp_gimp for your help. Was not sure if trim would work, now I can proceed.

I have a quick question If I may. I have never built a computer before but I do try and read a lot before attempting to do anything

I have read that these Samsung drives cannot update the firmware in Raid 0 configuration. So somehow I might have to update them before I raid 0 them.

What do I do first?? Install Windows 8 first on the Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD then setup each SAMSUNG 840 Pro 256GB SSD as a regular drive and uddate the firmware on each drive then set them both up in the Raid 0 configuration??

Appreciate the help.

4. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    Actually, the order of doing should be:

Put one ssd i your system. Then you can update the firmware.

Shut the system down and replace the ssd with the second ssd. Now update it's firmware.

Now they are both updated, you can formate both of them.

Now, you can set your raid type and so on.....

Remember, like motherboard bios's, there is always a rick of bricking an ssd by updATING THE FIRMWARE.

YOU CAN NOW LOAD WIN 8...

5. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Not worth an afford imo, unless it will be also used as server database storage. Or for photo editing or similar.
    U will c no gain in normal use, only benches. Gaming included. OFC u can c 1 or maybe....maybe 2 sec gain in loading level, but i don't think so...search the web man.
    And...
    If 1 of them will fail, u will loose ur data/system.

Besides...and more important....U r limited to sata3 bandwidth, which is near max of the speed 1 of those ssd...
    Which makes it completely insane to do....
    Edit - if u wanna speed in gaming try PCI-e SSD solutions, not regular...800-1200mb transfers, lots of IOPS. Problem is, don't bothering me personally, if this solutions can boot system :p

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What is 64GB doing in a gaming computer?

You're burning so much cash on other components the graphics card budget is becoming relatively puny.

7. Syidi

Syidi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780
    a Z77 setup will do the same performance with a X79 platform with less cash

8. bluride

bluride Guest

GPU:
    Thanks to all for the help and advise. Yes I did go crazy on the memory but that is only because I bought it at a great price. This computer is mostly going to be used for video encoding with occasional game playing.
    If my son gets serious about game playing then I could always upgrade the GPU.
    Appreciate all the help on what order I need to set this up. I am sure I will have quite a few questions as I set it up. Thanks.

9. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I ran dual 840s in Raid0 as my steam volume. Games loaded a couple of seconds quicker and it wasn't really worth it to be honest.

10. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    used modded bios with OROM 12 with IRST 12. I have 2 x intel 520 in raid 0 but the intel toolbox trim does not work. I heard that the toolbox works on windows 7. I'm running windows 8 so im sure that trim is working in the background. Like some here say don't really see any real time difference with a single ssd.