MJPG codec - some questions

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by maxio, Dec 28, 2014.

1. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    A few questions:

Any hope for 4:2:2/4:4:4 YUV? Not planned at all?

Is color matrix REC.709 always used for RGB <--> YUV for all resolutions or is itchanging automaticaly to REC.601 when using < 720p material?

From what I saw it capture full PC range 0-255, output 16-235 right?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Most likely built-in MJPG will not evolve, it is in the past and left for backward compatibility, sorry.

3. TroyTheTech

TroyTheTech Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2x(GTX560Ti)SLI
    If I may make a suggestion, you could try MJPEG2000. It can do Lossless, but if you want, can also compress twice as efficiently as MJPEG. I have been yearning to try it out myself for a long time, as it is still under active development under the open-source format OpenJPEG (which is JPEG2000). It is even soon to be recognized officially by the Joint Pictures Experts Group - I just can never remember to try it out :bang:

With all due respect to the knowledgeable Unwinder, MJPEG and related codecs are the most compatible and low-overhead recording codecs out there, allowing for very high speed recording (cameras still use it for that reason) - and with the OpenJPEG development continuing on into the future, I don't think there should be a problem for finding utilization ongoing, Maxio, even if it isn't in Afterburner...

Good luck with it