Real world difference (Memory quesrion)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by johnathonm, Aug 31, 2015.

1. johnathonm

johnathonm Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 ti 12GB
    Hi,

I am considering upgrading from DDR4 2400 to DDR3000 or so. I was thinking though, is there any point? Can someone more knowledgeable tell me if there will be any real world performance gains or will it just be epeen points?

My epeen is already dragging on the ground so I don't need or want anymore points there. :)

Thanks in advance.

J

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Depends on what you do with your rig of course. If it's gaming only, you won't see much difference. If you're rendering, you might see some gains, but they won't be astronomically high.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    For benchmarking purpose yes, if you think your gaming experience will improve with faster ram your wrong.

4. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Not at 2400 to 3000. The gains will be insignificant at best, even for rendering video or in 3D/CAD environments. In those cases, brute CPU power and ample RAM is needed to fill the scene, however, speed of the RAM does very little. GPU assisted cases will see even less benefit. Save the money and spend it on a better & larger SSD or other parts.

Encoding performance example
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/5519419

As for typical tasks and gaming...
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/10

5. johnathonm

johnathonm Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 ti 12GB
    Hi everyone who replied,

Thank you for the info. I am going to be stick to what I am using.

Thanks again!

J

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There is extremely little difference in performance between 2400 and 3000. DDR3-2133 is the sweetspot for Ivy and Haswell for price and performance, with DDR3-2400 being the sweetspot if focusing more on performance than price. On Skylake DDR4-2400 CL14 seems to be the sweet spot (performance and price).

The caveat here is that you have a Sandy Bridge CPU. The memory controller on that is older than Ivy, and does not benefit from faster memory like Ivy. By that I mean you could get away with 1866 and not have any real loss over 2400, but only because it is pre-Ivy. Ivy and Haswell have similar performance gains/loss between different memory speed and timings.

In short, there will be zero benefit for you.

HOWEVER:
    Your signature seems to have a different memory listed than your query, so what is the system specs of the system you are enquiring about? The answer will still be the same; you won't have any benefit, but it's an important consideration for other hardware and recommendations on how you could improve it (as that is what it appears you desire).

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Not meaning to hijack the thread, but:
    do you think I would benefit from upgrading to faster RAM (now DDR3-1600 per specs)?
    I've always thought that the amount of RAM is more important than speed, but I keep hearing with Haswells RAM speed can and does make a difference.

Gamingwise, of course.

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Personally, after testing my 12GB 1600 vs 16GB 1866 I noticed a little difference.
    But not with a single gpu setup.
    In multigpu, I avg 3+ fps more.
    Games felt just a tad smoother on faster ram.
    I currently run my ram at 1920mhz though.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, Haswell benefits from faster than 1600 RAM, just like Ivy. I believe you would have benefit going to a good set of DDR3-2133 or good DDR3-2400 modules, even more so going 2x8 GB. You could then sell off your current RAM, not that you would get much for it...

Just be careful looking at old reviews comparing the difference. Many of these reviews were done using a Sandy Bridge CPU, the real benefits only started showing with Ivy Bridge + Z77 platforms, and these same benefits show in Haswell.

Don't expect miracles of course, but if

10. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    See if you can find some deals on 2x8 2133 - 2400 RAM. It'll give you the best performance/cost ratio (and more than enough RAM for now). However, like others have said, don't expect large increases other than in CPU limited games. Only get it however if you plan on sticking with DDR3 based platforms.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

A quick look at his specs and I think that the intention is to last for a little while at least. The most benefit will come in situation where the graphical settings means the game is borderline playable. By that I mean completely, not good framerates 99 percent of the time and have it a little slow in action scenes where it is actually important! Also it could possible reduce a little bit of stuttering or jerkiness as a result of texture streaming etc, although that is a hard thing to measure. You could have very similar frame rates, but with 2x8 GB DDR3-2400 (for example) you could have the game nice and smooth whereas on 8 GB DDR3-1600 it is not consistently smooth at basically the same frame rate... if that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  12. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    I really doubt it'll make that much difference. RAM speeds really don't affect gaming all that much other than very CPU-bound games. Yes, there might be some improvement no doubt, but nowhere noticeable without benchmarking and runtime fps measurements. (The placebo after installing it will always be nice though).

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks, that's pretty much what I'm hoping to accomplish with a RAM upgrade. There are some instances/games which run at solid 60 fps most of the time, but have occassional fps drops.
    I have monitored GPU/CPU and VRAM usage and they don't show any remarkable difference (either drop or peak) in those scenarios, so I started thinking maybe faster RAM could help.

And yes, I'm keeping this build for a while. I had my previous Core 2 Duo build for 5+ years and I expect to have the same lifespan with this system.
    I'll start looking for deals in 2x8 GB 2133/2400 modules. I'll keep my current ones as backup, as you said probably not worth much resold.

14. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    I had the Kingston Hyper X predator ram in this build it was temperamental and buggy (all this before my cpu overclock) turned out to be compatability issue so I ended up with the slower Fury (and a refund :D ) and it has made absolutely no noticeable difference in fps in any games , if there is a change it'll be miniscule.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, but what speeds etc were those RAM? Also, you're comparing quad channel using DDR4 vs dual channel using DDR3, so they can't really be compared.

16. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You wouldn't, and it's not what I said! You were saying that you got no difference in fps when dropping RAM speed, apparently from 3000 to 2666, but that isn't directly relevant to Asiju (who made the query) as they are on a different platform, using a different memory controller, dual channel ddr3 vs your quad channel ddr4. The faster fps is by diminishing returns. I would guess if you ran your RAM in dual channel underclocked at 1600 MHz that you would have a drop in performance. I'm not saying to do that, just that it would make for a better comparison.

18. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    erm I thought the op was jonathanm? and unless my eyes are deceiving me hes running DDR4 2400 currently

Ive been away from pc gaming and these forums for years id forgotten just how argumentative you lot can be :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Actually that's an interesting idea.
    So if either of you would be so kind as to try quickly out your system running in 1600 Mhz (timings 9-9-9-24, if possible) and report back to me is there a notable difference? I'd appreciate.

Not in fps per se, but in general smoothness. For example Crysis games seem to be major "hickupers" for me so if you have any, those could be a good place to start.
    You needn't give any stats or so, just an overall yes/no impression would do.

A 2x8 GB set of Kingston HyperX Savage 2400 MHz modules would cost around 110 EUR atm, the best deal I could find. So a bit too much for just trying out...

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Nevermind guys, struck a deal with a local dealer and got Corsair Vengeance Pro Gold modules in exchange for my old GTX 560 Ti graphics cards and some money.