Nvidia Shield

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stereoman, Aug 31, 2015.

1. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    So my brother just got his replacement shield and it's working fine but he's given me his old one, nvidia says to return it for disposal due to the defective battery but that's not mandatory so I'm thinking if I can find a replacement battery I could get pretty nice tablet for free, it's still functions as is and I opened it up to check the battery and it seems to be fine but obviously it's a fire hazard if it does become defective over time, Nvidia says they will remotely disable the old tablets as well so I will probably have to flash the rom if I do decide to keep it but does anyone know where I could find a replacement battery? I checked ebay all they seem to have is batteries for the handheld not the tablet, seems a shame to just trash it.

2. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Same here got the recall tablet and tweaked my old one

I basically did this
    1 - rooted my tablet
    i used a guide in the shield tablet androidfirst you need to root your tablet
    i used a guide in XDA, shield tablet android development called "[ROOT] Root NVidia Shield Tablet - Lollipop (also locked bootloader)"
    Note: in step 11 - There is no need to flash the custom recovery if you don't want to, just do a fastboot boot recovery <recovery.img>
    (You can flash a costum recovery later with flashify like i did, if you want)

2- then simply deleted the tegraOTA folder using root explorer or es explorer after root.
    (note: if you use es explorer you need to give it root permissions first, theres an option for that)

3- Reboot tablet and in the settings menu the "check system pdates" option should be gone by now
    now the first option should be "send nvidia feedback", something like that

Worked for me

You can read why deleting the tegraOTA avoids the nvidia kill switch issue and you even have a site to check if nvidia pushed an ota with a kill switch on your old tablet
    (They took a couple weeks but my old tablet its flagged for a kill switch, still working tough ^^)

All in" kill the kill switch" nvidia shield tablet xda thread
    They also mention replacement batterys somewere in the thread

I sticked with stock rom, but will probably change it in the fture because mine its ofc unable to update any further, its android 5.1.1 so i wont really care for a longtime :)

In geforce forums (shielf tablet section) i also read something and saw links for replacement batterys btw

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  3. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    cool cheers for the info will check all that out :)