Going Nvidia or AMD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DiceAir, Feb 7, 2015.

1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Hi there.

So I'm not a total noob with PC's but I don't know what to buy. now first off I play at 2560x1440 @ 96Hz. I want to upgrade my graphics cards to something better. So I can go GTX 980 and then another one later or the next AMD graphics cards coming out soon. I know it's to soon to talk cause we don't even know how it performs but maybe someone can enlighten me what to do. Should I rahter wait for the next dual gpu from either amd or nvidia. I was thinking of just getting a single card first and then maybe another later.

Everything else is fine don't need to upgrade again.

2. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
  3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
  4. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    Hi

Wait for R9 300 series

GTX980 is very expensive and not worth the money.

If you not wait grab AMD R9 290x

5. Madhatstand

Madhatstand Active Member

GPU:
    Palit 2070 Super JS
    I would personally wait to see what the price and performance is of the new AMD cards - that's what I'm doing

I'm running SLI 680s which should be very similar in performance to the 2x 280s you have. Going to a single 980 for me isn't worth the costs as I bench very similar to the 980 at the moment anyway! So basically for a lot of money all I would essentially gain is better performance in non-sli games and more VRAM.

The next top of the range AMD card should beat the 980 hands down (if not then WTF have AMD being doing!). So if the price is right then I'll get their top card myself as I don't mind the wait - for you though, if moneys not important and you can't wait then get the 980, if like me you want to get the best bang for your buck then wait to see what AMD come out with - shouldn't be too long now!

6. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I will rather wait than to get the r9 290x now

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You work for AMD or something? Continuously telling people to avoid NVIDIA and go AMD instead?

8. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I think I was actually stupid asking this question cause I know AMD cards are coming soon but I was just asking here to get some more opinions.

I just spoke to one of my clan mates coming from r9 290x and to gtx 980 and he said was amazing jump. He was actually running r9 295x2 and r9 290x in tr-fire but then he sold the 295x2 and went with the r9 290x. He told me it's so much smoother so now I'm also worried that the new AMD cards might not be as smooth as Nvidia. I also see lot's of games starting to use Nvidia gameworks.

Also another thing about AMD cards will most probably have higher bus than Nvidia 900 series so that might help in my resolution. But hey let's wait and see.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I came from 290 to a 295X2 to my current 980

980 wins

The 290 was an amazing card, the 295X2 was a fail because CF barely works in anything other than benchmarks, so I basically went from a 290 to a 290X, which is 1 GPU of the 295X2 (CF disabled)

Then sold the 295X2 and got the 980

I noticed the difference immediately, optimisation for NVIDIA is what does it, AMD has enough power, but not the optimisation, and without that, gaming suffers

Games that stuttered and lagged with the 290 / 295, run smooth with the 980

Not to say all games were bad with AMD, far from it, but TWIMTBP (NVIDIA titles) games, definitely run a sh1t load better, and the games that ran fine with AMD, also run fine with NVIDIA, so for me, it's a no brainer now, enjoyed AMD while I was with them, but will be sticking with NVIDIA from now on

Nothing worse than spending loads of cash on a GPU, to be crippled by one sided optimisation

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Wait and see what AMD bring with the 300 series.

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Wait for the 300 series, then get the 980 when prices drop or 300 if it kills the 980 by a hefty margin. You win either way.

13. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I see so many games using Nvidia Gameworks and TWIMTBP. For example my clan mate told me no lag in advanced warfare not even defender, instinct where I have to put everything on low to get playable frames. He alos told me that other games that's Nvidia titles runs like butter on his pc except for Dying light.

When the AMD r9 3xx release I would like to get some more feedback from people with both 980GTX and r9 390x to see if TWIMTBP (Nvidia titles) runs really smoother on Nvidia.

I can also say that on my Old GTX570 sli setup Games made for Nvidia cards ran good although not super great but when I lowered the graphics it was so great. It was actually before the Nvidia gameworks thing went mainstream.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015