Fried agp slot?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Yakspawn, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Yakspawn

Yakspawn Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 512
    ......so i dropped a screw on my videocard near the agp slot and the comp froze and when i restarted there was no video. The screw hit some metal pins on the card and i think it could have fried the slot. Im currently running on an old geforce2 mx400 and it really sucks. I tried a 6600gt in the slot and it didnt work, so do u think it is fried? If so, th mb is an asrock 939 dual sata which has a pci express slot, so do u think i could just buy a pci express card and it would work?

also do u think my 6800 is fried to, i cant test it cause my other agp system is a mini case and it doesnt fit

2. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Hard to say what is fried and what isn't. The only way to really do it practically is to just try a card. I guess you could test resistances of each pin, but that would take forever as there are tons of pins to test.

I'd try to find a friend that had the hardware you need to troubleshoot your system. Trial and error is the way to go here.

And even if your other AGP system is in a mini case, take it out of the case and test your card.