R9 280X runs horribly bad

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Xrider, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    I just bought Gigabyte R9 280X and I'm getting really poor performance and low fps in games. I've had GTX560Ti and honestly it ran faster than the R9 280X.
    I'm using the beta 13.11 driver.
    I can't return the card to the store, wish I could. :bang:
    I've tested many games ( Battlefield 3, Assassin's Creed 3, NFS Most Wanted 2012, rFactor 2, Sleeping Dogs).
    Please help...

My specs are:
    Intel i7 920 @ 3.2
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Mobo
    Gigabyte R9 280X OC
    G-skil 8 gig of 1333 ram
    Thermaltake 700 watt PSU
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    That hapends for not to wait until see if is a good card or not, hope you can return that thing or swap for something else.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    *facepalmus supremus*.

@OP: tried wiping out older nvidia drivers with something like driver sweeper? If yes, then we need more info, clockspeeds is a good start.

4. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    superzeus, What are you talking about? Have you seen benchmarks of this card and what it is capable of? I'll wait to an answer from guys who want to help.... Thank you

Yasamoka, I deleted the nvidia drivers with a regualr uninstall, not with driver sweeper. It is factory clocked at 1100Mhz. Any more suggestions would be much appriciated.

5. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    Did you completely wipe your Nvidia drivers? There is no way a 560 will give you better performance than your new card. I just got the same card and its about 3-4 frames better than my Xfired 6970s (which is STILL a fast setup). So either the card is borked (Unlikely, but possible), or you didn't clean up before switching brands.

@ superzeus : As for waiting to see if it's a good card, it's basically a 7970Ghz edition. It's a good card.

edit after ops edit: regular uninstall is seldom good enough, pick a driver sweeper of your choice ( I'm partial to DriverCleaner).

6. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    I don't think the card is broken, it's just doesnt deliever the amount of fps it should for some reason. I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers from the programs menu, not with driver sweeper. Yeah, I know it's basically 7970..

7. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    See my edit, regular uninstall is seldom good enough when switching brands. Couldn't hurt to try a sweeper. Nothing to lose really. Leftover bits can wreak havok. Been there, done that.

8. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    That's strange. My 280x is awesome. Chews through everything.

Try:
    1. Do a total remove as stated previously
    2. Run GPU-Z and see what speed your PCI-E bus is running at.
    3. You MSI tool to check gpu and ram speed in game.

9. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    I ran Driver Sweeper 3.2.0 and deleted all nvidia drivers related to my system, then deleted ATI drivers as well and after that installed AMD 13.11 beta driver. This did not help me.

Let me explain what I'm facing with. In Assassin's Creed 3 when I'm in city and graphics settings are on low as possible I'm getting minimum of 34 fps. This is a 2012 game and the performance is horrible...
    I'm willing to reformat my pc and install everything fresh but my windows 7 is two months old and this will be my last step I guess.
    If you have anything I try please let me know... Thank you

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That what I was going to suggest. I also did fresh install when I changed from nVidia to AMD.

but before that, make double check everything is connected properly. (pci-e power cables, etc...)

11. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Probably wouldn't hurt to try give your CPU an overclock. i7 920 is still plenty fast enough and hitting 4GHZ on it should make it that little bit better.

12. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    Driver Sweeper didnt help.
    GPU-Z says I'm running PCI-E 2.0 x16
    GPU is clocking 1100Mhz and ram is at 6000mhz

13. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    I don't think it's my CPU that holding back the card's performance. It's true that if I overclock more it will gain me some fps but that's another metter. My GPU isn't working the way it supposed to...

14. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    Yeah. I checked the 6 and 8 pins and try different cables. Didn't help

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It is, essentially :) There are a few little tweaks with it. It's basically the equivalent of a new stepping in a CPU, but also has some other reference design improvements. Of course, the non-reference cards also have improvements over the equivalent HD7970 GHz edition (for example, Gigabyte R9-280x Windforce vs Gigabyte HD7970 GHz Windforce).

At a complete guess, it is possible that the card for some reason isn't upclocking (it's still running in the power saving mode). You need to use a program that you can view the history of GPU and memory clocks with (MSI Afterburner for example), and see whether this is the case or not. The cause of this is, if this is the case, is probably remnant settings of some shape or form... I have seen that before!

What version of 13.11 beta are you running? The older 26 Sept version or the newer, just available, 7 Oct (preferable):
    7 Oct 13.11b3: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=382660&page=1

16. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    ^^^^ This is my guess.

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    super wild guess: Could it be also of old mobo bios not supporting new video cards?

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would try a fresh Windows install just to make sure there's no leftover Nvidia thingies left.

19. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    That would be the best bet.

20. Xrider

Xrider Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    Installed the new driver, still same issue and low fps...

I noticed that my windows run faster without any GPU driver, when I install the GPU driver it runs slower, everything loads slower on boot up. Weird stuff.