6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davetheshrew, Dec 26, 2010.

1. casamassi

casamassi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 GHZ@1202/7000Mhz
    thx, but i returned with the original bios..
    too much errors and problems..and i have no money for a new card..:)

2. AZONIC[rus]

AZONIC[rus] Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6950 DiCuII 2Gb
  3. winston856

winston856 New Member

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr II6950 2GB
    Hello fellow guru3d'ers. I've got myself an MSI twin frozr II 6950 2GB without the bios switch that I'm trying to unlock but keep hitting a wall.

I either get a message saying "cannot erase rom" or "rom not erased" depending on which method I use.

I've tried just using the latest atiwinflash and RBE 1.28 to modify and flash the bios but it ends up with one of those messages.

It's worth mentioning I think that I'm using windows 8 64 bit and am trying to flash in windows. I've tried using the command prompt (run as admin) in windows as well but it also fails me.

When I run the command "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" I get a message saying "rom unlocked". Then I run "atiwinflash -f -p 0 modifiedbios.rom (I've tried renaming it to .bin which produces the same result.)

I'm stuck and I don't know what's wrong, can anyone offer any assistance please?

Edit: I wanted to update this in case someone was following it. I managed to unlock the shaders on this card. I had to make a bootable dos flash drive and was able to flash successfully through that without even having to unlock the rom.

The gpu would only accept a bios that had the shaders unlocked. I was using RBE and editing the overclocking limits along with unlocking the shaders. If I flashed a bios with modified frequency limits the card would not boot into windows.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  4. winston856

winston856 New Member

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr II6950 2GB
    I was finally able to get it unlocked, though I wasn't able to raise the frequency limits.

5. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Today i decided to give it a try and here's my unlocked PowerColor AX6950 :) Voltage bumped to 1.175v, and OC to 890/1390. A quick 15 minutes Furmark test showed no problems. Time to test with some games. Should i increase the power limit..?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    If you get some throttling then I would bump it up.

7. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Got my Far Cry 3 copy today :) so it's a good test. From what i saw on the reviews, the unlock gives 3 or 4 more FPS.. not much :) but hey.. it's for free hehe

8. Mr.Joe

Mr.Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    670DC2-1333/3915-EK~H20
    please DO NOT express performance increases in FPS WITHOUT mentioning neither changed or unchanged framerates to compare it to..........:puke2:

9. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I cannot reach 1 ghz with a voltage bump on mine but iam on the regular air-cooler,maybe if I had them watercooled I might have a chance to do so? So far my highest Oc is 950 mhz on the core and 1450 mhz on the memory! Ive read something about editing your bios and voltages with these cards they supposidly have almost no limit on the voltages but in order to do so you have to edit the bios-I have no clue how to do that! lol. I have a pair of Msi Refrence design Radeon 6970s, both have the bios switch,Ive actually thought about throwing in a Radeon 6990 and going Quad-Crossfire since I already have 2 cards in crossfire,what do you guys think? They are rather cheep now.

10. ErfanDL

ErfanDL Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 Direct CU TOP
    tnx for guide

11. ilflores

ilflores Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD7950/3GB GDDR5
    thanks for the info!!!

12. zzzaaajjj

zzzaaajjj Guest

GPU:
    Polaris 10 / HD 6970
    Hello everyone, new member here. I realize this is an old thread but I had a question regarding my OEM Powercolor 6970 2GB model. I just saw an OEM Powercolor 6950 1 GB model on newegg.com and was wondering how if at all I could crossfire the two. I understand that I can flash the 6950 into a 6970 and either way, the two would be compatible, being 69xx models. However, I wanted to know more about the VRAM in the GPU being mismatched. If I paired the two, would I be getting one, two, or three GB of GDDR5? I just got out of another forum (anandtech) because they don't seem very knowledgable about this subject and we got into a small argument. Can anyone here verify if the VRAM would stack or not? I read a review on this very site that they would work together but nobody believed me. Some clarity would be very very appreciated. Here is a picture of my setup. Please tell me if anything is unsuitable for crossfire:

[​IMG]

^Spare computer btw.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  13. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    My Asus HD6950 Direct CU wont unlock...Atleast it OC quite well. I have 6970 somewhere, lost it in move :D

14. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I have 2x unlocked GPU's here... Maybe it is better that I have it as backup in view of this years' market for GPU.

15. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I found my XFX HD6970 and just chanced thermal pads and MX4 for core... So far so good.