Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section
Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything GeForce driver related. GeForce ForceWare and GeForce Exerience drivers are for NVIDIA Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.

Old
  (#76)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX1080 Arctic Hybrid III
Processor: i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Memory: 4x8GB @ 2GHz
Soundcard: HyperX Cloud + FiiO E6
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
Default 10-04-2013, 00:24 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

Sucker? har har. I did all the work making the guide in the first place, no problem.

Old
  (#77)
wheeljack12
Master Guru

Videocard: zotac gtx 1060 6gb mini
Processor: intel i7-6700k
Mainboard: gb z170 gaming k3 rev 1.0
Memory: 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Soundcard: creative sbzx,Z506 5.1
PSU: Antec 80pp 750 watt
Default 10-20-2013, 17:20 | posts: 281 | Location: Hamilton,Ontario,Canada

you need to update your device id's to windows 8.1 for us 8.1 users.

Old
  (#78)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 10-20-2013, 17:26 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

The device ID's do not change, just the section you put it in.
In this case NTamd64.6.3.

Old
  (#79)
iDoraemon

Videocard: NVIDIA GT650M DDR3
Processor: Intel Core i7 3610QM
Mainboard: Asus N56VZ Series
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Soundcard: Bang & Olufsen ICEpower
PSU: ASUS Adapter
Default 11-06-2013, 13:28 | posts: 7 | Location: Vietnam

Is modding 186.82 driver for GT 650M possible? I've tried to follow exactly the instruction in the 1st post but no go. The installation encounters errors all the time. Seems like I have to dig in the Section part in the inf file, while I have little to no experience about that. Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Old
  (#80)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 11-06-2013, 18:06 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

I mean, it technically should work. But who knows what could go wrong on such a new GPU with such an old driver. Why on earth do you want to use that driver?

Old
  (#81)
iDoraemon

Default 11-06-2013, 18:49 | posts: 7 | Location: Vietnam

I did some research on the internet and found out that 186.82 driver has the lowest DPC latency among others out there. The later ones are somehow "unoptimized" and cause stutter. It's not a big deal to me, however, just an experiment which I'm eager to do.

Old
  (#82)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 11-06-2013, 20:19 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

I would try a modern desktop or quadro driver and mod it, just to make sure you are doing it right.

Old
  (#83)
iDoraemon

Default 11-07-2013, 04:31 | posts: 7 | Location: Vietnam

One more question: Are there any differences between modding for a Optimus enabled VGA and a regular desktop one? Yesterday I managed to make 295.73, which at that time didn't provide support for my GT650m yet, install successfully. However, after rebooting, NVIDIA Control Panel says my VGA doesn't connect to any monitor, and there's a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager, also means that the driver doesn't work. I assume the problem comes from the base driver. It doesn't detect Optimus config.

Old
  (#84)
BenYeeHua
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus 650M D3
Processor: I5-3210M
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Laptop 90W Adapter
Default 11-07-2013, 10:17 | posts: 1,532

lol, just found out you has the similar model with me, but you has a higher Processor+Monitor I think.

For Optimus, I think you need the Optimus one(Mobile driver), and I am not sure that will Optimus will be difference for 5XX and 6XX-7XX.

Old
  (#85)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 11-07-2013, 16:39 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

I'm not positive, but I think the LTV2G drivers might have optimus in them. I don't have a mobile GPU so I can't test.

Old
  (#86)
Kwisatz
Member Guru

Videocard: BFG GTX285 OCX 1024MB
Processor: Intel i7 3770
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68 deluxe Gen3
Memory: 4x4GB Vengeance 1600Mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: Sharkoon RushPower 600M
Default 11-11-2013, 13:58 | posts: 47 | Location: Roma

Hi all, I'm having troubles modding windows 8.1's drivers inf file. The fact is I can pass hardware check but i can't install the drivers, without any errors it gave me driver not installed at the end of the setup. I've tried 3 differents drivers but no luck so far.

I have a GeForce 8400M GT in a vaio laptop.

Last edited by Kwisatz; 11-11-2013 at 14:13.

Old
  (#87)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 11-11-2013, 18:38 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

That's all the INF needs to do, at least the parts we are modding.
I would give DDU a try then do it again.

Old
  (#88)
wheeljack12
Master Guru

Videocard: zotac gtx 1060 6gb mini
Processor: intel i7-6700k
Mainboard: gb z170 gaming k3 rev 1.0
Memory: 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Soundcard: creative sbzx,Z506 5.1
PSU: Antec 80pp 750 watt
Default 11-11-2013, 20:00 | posts: 281 | Location: Hamilton,Ontario,Canada

Kwisatz, are you putting the .inf changes into the windows 6.3 areas needed? If you are putting them in windows 6.2, then it's only applicable to windows 8 and not 8.1. Also, did you disable driver signing enforcement before installing the drivers? Make sure you are installing manufacturer drivers with notebooks and not geforce verde drivers if they are giving you trouble. Verde drivers are generic and not manufacturer specific. The only pain in the *ss with nvidia notebooks. When I had a samsung sandy bridge laptop at 1st, I could install any geforce verde driver. Then samsung made a bios update that stopped all of that and forced me to use samsung specific drivers. So, even if the mod is setup properly and you are using verde drivers,if still may not work even with disabling driver signature enforcement.

Last edited by wheeljack12; 11-11-2013 at 20:07.

Old
  (#89)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 11-11-2013, 23:05 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

He would not pass the hardware check if he was using the wrong section.
But it could be driver signature enforcement. Look at the OP for help with that.

Old
  (#90)
Kwisatz
Member Guru

Videocard: BFG GTX285 OCX 1024MB
Processor: Intel i7 3770
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68 deluxe Gen3
Memory: 4x4GB Vengeance 1600Mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: Sharkoon RushPower 600M
Default 11-14-2013, 08:58 | posts: 47 | Location: Roma

Thanks both for your help. At the end i managed to install the drivers, the problem was related, don't know why, to windows defender. Once i disalbed it, installing was good.

BTW the simplest drivers to mod for an nvidia laptop are desktop one. Verde drivers are much different and much harder to mod, i didn't get a single success modding these from 3xx

Last edited by Kwisatz; 11-14-2013 at 09:01.

Old
  (#91)
Neralio

Videocard: AMD Radeon R9 270
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard: Asus
Memory: 8GB RAM
Soundcard:
PSU: Fatality
Default 11-22-2013, 05:04 | posts: 21

Thanks for the well written guide Cyberdyne, just got a couple of questions though. I'm not really familiar with all this tech stuff but am forced to be as I'd really like for FFXIV to work. To give you an idea on how new I am to these kinda stuff, as embarrassing as this may sound, on the registration page I had to google "another word for processor" as I wasn't sure that it was CPU. So yeah, just wanted to ask what do I extract and where do I extract it? I haven't downloaded the driver yet but I'm planning on getting the R310 one as I was told newer versions are incompatible with FFXIV. Planning on downloading 7zip too. That's pretty much it as the accompanying screenies on the succeeding steps are clear enough. Sorry for the stupid questions, just don't wanna mess this up.

Old
  (#92)
Toony

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 11-22-2013, 05:49 | posts: 9 | Location: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neralio View Post
Thanks for the well written guide Cyberdyne, just got a couple of questions though. I'm not really familiar with all this tech stuff but am forced to be as I'd really like for FFXIV to work. To give you an idea on how new I am to these kinda stuff, as embarrassing as this may sound, on the registration page I had to google "another word for processor" as I wasn't sure that it was CPU. So yeah, just wanted to ask what do I extract and where do I extract it? I haven't downloaded the driver yet but I'm planning on getting the R310 one as I was told newer versions are incompatible with FFXIV. Planning on downloading 7zip too. That's pretty much it as the accompanying screenies on the succeeding steps are clear enough. Sorry for the stupid questions, just don't wanna mess this up.
More user friendly approach to this would be simply double-clicking the driver package executable you've downloaded. It will extract the contents to C:\Nvidia. After extraction it executes setup.exe. Just close the installer and navigate to the directory (eg. C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\314.22\Win8_WinVista_Win7_ 64\). You will find the INF file you need in the "Display.Driver" subdirectory.

Don't worry, you won't mess this up.

Old
  (#93)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 11-22-2013, 05:57 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

You can do what Toony said.
It's just that most people don't know that the drivers are in auto-extracting archives and I would assume that most people would be confused why the first step is to launch the driver setup even though it's not modded yet and wont work. It's also nice to know that it is a auto-extracting archive, and upzipping it yourself allows you a little more control. You should have 7zip anyway, or at least something to allow you to open compressed files beyond zip.

There really isn't anything that can really backfire here. Either you mod it right and it works, or you mod it incorrectly and it wont install. If you have problems after that, then I would surmise it's the driver itself giving problems.

Old
  (#94)
Neralio

Soundcard:
Default 11-22-2013, 07:34 | posts: 21

Thanks you guys. A few more basic questions if I may, is it alright if I just let the drivers overlap, as I currently have the Lenovo Win 7 64 bit drivers installed and would just downloading the R310 from NVIDIA without uninstalling or deleting the current driver be okay?

Also I occasionally get the caution sign on device manager under NVIDIA, as well as getting pink squares littered on the screen whenever I try to run FFXIV, are those signs that my GPU is dead? And is it possible that only FFXIV is affected by my current driver? Haven't tested it out on other games as my laptop just came from a reformat(had someone do it). I do have some other non online games, but all of them are cracks and I don't want to install Daemon Tools just yet until I fix what's causing these crashes. Was updating GW2 but I got a blue screen.

Last edited by Neralio; 11-22-2013 at 07:38.

Old
  (#95)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 11-22-2013, 07:51 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

You can safely install over nvidia driver usually. Sometimes it causes problems, if you want to limit that concern use this
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379506

It could be dead. But it also could just be that one game like you say. You will just have to give more games a try.
If you are getting BSOD just at windows, then you have more problems then not being able to play FF.

Old
  (#96)
Neralio

Soundcard:
Default 11-22-2013, 08:19 | posts: 21

Ok trying to run DDU and it says it is highly recommended that I run Windows in safe mode, which I had to google. They tell me how to access and what safe mode does, but I have no idea how I am going to pull this "If an existing problem doesn't reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and basic device drivers as possible causes. If you don't know the cause of the problem, you can use the process of elimination to help you find the problemhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/w...t-is-safe-mode" off. Should I just run the DDU in normal mode? Since I won't be able to diagnose the problem in safe mode anyway. Hope I'm not dumbing you down with my noob questions

Old
  (#97)
BenYeeHua
Maha Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 11-22-2013, 10:06 | posts: 1,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neralio View Post
Ok trying to run DDU and it says it is highly recommended that I run Windows in safe mode, which I had to google. They tell me how to access and what safe mode does, but I have no idea how I am going to pull this "If an existing problem doesn't reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and basic device drivers as possible causes. If you don't know the cause of the problem, you can use the process of elimination to help you find the problemhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/w...t-is-safe-mode" off. Should I just run the DDU in normal mode? Since I won't be able to diagnose the problem in safe mode anyway. Hope I'm not dumbing you down with my noob questions
Better no, as many files will be locked in normal mode, going into safe mode and clean up the driver is prevent some file can't be cleaned up.

If you found some issues for DDU, you can post the log at the DDU thread.

PS:Safe mode also used for some files that you can't clean up, like virus that will only loaded in normal mode etc.

Old
  (#98)
Neralio

Soundcard:
Default 11-22-2013, 10:29 | posts: 21

Gotcha, safe mode it is. Btw how do I know if a file needs to be cleaned? Is it alright if I just clean it to be sure? And also as DDU seems to remove the file entirely, which files do I clean and how does it work like do I right click then select clean?

Ok skipping the cleaning process, started on INF modding and have already downloaded the NVIDIA driver and extracted to a folder, but I can't seem to find the INF text nor any of the other alternatives.

Last edited by Neralio; 11-22-2013 at 13:14.

Old
  (#99)
BenYeeHua
Maha Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 11-22-2013, 15:21 | posts: 1,532

Quote:
Gotcha, safe mode it is. Btw how do I know if a file needs to be cleaned? Is it alright if I just clean it to be sure? And also as DDU seems to remove the file entirely, which files do I clean and how does it work like do I right click then select clean?
You don't need to know, just click the button on DDU and it will do it for you.
Except there are some issues on DDU, or a Optimus laptop user, then you will get the driver cleaned up completely.

For the INF, sorry about that, I has a long time for not modding INF.

Old
  (#100)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 11-22-2013, 17:43 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

If you are confused by all this too much I would give these drivers a try;
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/for...ers-and-tools/
Not sure if they have the exact driver you want, but the idea of those drivers it to add support for every card (especially mobile ones, which is good for you) to almost every driver.