Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section
Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything GeForce driver related. GeForce ForceWare and GeForce Exerience drivers are for NVIDIA Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.

Old
  (#26)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX1080 Arctic Hybrid III
Processor: i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Memory: 4x8GB @ 2GHz
Soundcard: HyperX Cloud + FiiO E6
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
Default 05-08-2013, 04:52 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

No it's not.

Old
  (#27)
AudigyMaster

Videocard: nVidia Quadro 3700M@1GB
Processor: C2D T7700 2.8Ghz@1.113V
Mainboard: Clevo M571RU board rev.2
Memory: DDR2@667 cas4 Micron D9
Soundcard: E-MU 0204
PSU: notebook 200W
Default 05-08-2013, 10:13 | posts: 25 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdyne View Post
I added some supplementary pictures.
Anything else I should add?
There is just a minor note that I would add to your tutorial.

You need more than just the PCI IDs of your particular graphics card. The .inf file contains substrings that add core specific registry keys, files and configurations. To identify which substrings(sections) to apply, the installer uses the PCI IDs with their correspondent section identifiers.

Example, you have a 8700M GT which has a G84 core, therefore you need to find a card preexistent in the .inf that uses that same core, and copy their correspondent "Section<numbers>" to your string "%NVIDIA_DEV.0409% = Section<numbers>, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0409". For the particular 8700M, you can copy the "Section<numbers>" of a 1600M in Quadro drivers or of a 8600 in desktop ones.

With this procedure you can maintain the integrity of the installation and alter the final stability and functionality of the drivers working with your particular graphics card.

Old
  (#28)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 16:59 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

I'm sorry, but you are wrong.

The sections in question to make a driver install on any GPU do not hold any power over the "integrity of the installation and alter the final stability and functionality", only what device ID gets what name, and what devices are supported for which OS's.

For example, you could easily follow the instructions in the guide, and change your "NVIDIA_DEV.0409 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT"" string to "NVIDIA_DEV.0409 = "NVIDIA GeForce Awesome GPU"" and it would still install just fine. The names are just for us humans to not have to call our card DEV.0409 (in the same way a doman name, like guru3d.com, is for us humans to remember "89.188.28.132").
Applications like GPUZ would still see that you have a 8700M GT, but device manager would see that you have an Awesome GPU.

It holds no bearing over how the driver is installed if no other sections are needlessly modified. Unified drivers at work. You are giving yourself more work.
If what you said was true, it would be mindbogglingly hard to make universal modded INF's for quadro drivers- as in simply put ALL devices in the INF from another driver, or for LPV2G to do what they do (which is where I got the string and device ID list from since it's a nice compilation of every NVIDIA gpu).

Last edited by Cyberdyne; 05-08-2013 at 17:07.

Old
  (#29)
Veteran
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
Processor: 4930k@5.0ghz-1.40v-CH20
Mainboard: R4BE@Monoblock-CH20
Memory: 16Gb Mushkin Redline2133
Soundcard: SupremeFX-Sennheiser 350
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
Default 05-08-2013, 18:23 | posts: 12,068 | Location: United kingdom

Out of curiosity i tried it this way Cyberdyne and it didnt work. I also tried to find your card in the instructions and i couldnt even find that when i pasted it into the Pastebin searchbar.

I couldnt get an Inf to work for my 690 using this method, the installer still comes up with an error.

Im gonna go back and do it the way that Hunter showed, atleast i can do it that way.

Old
  (#30)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 18:29 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

Every card is listed there, when I say "search" I mean CTRL+F. Obviously searching the site looks for other pastebin post, CTRL+F in a modern browser searches the text of the page you are on.

I know it works. I've installed my card as a TITAN before, works fine. (obviously in name only). It's not working for you I'm guessing because you can't even find your GPU string.

EDIT: Check it out;

If you are still curious, this is what my strings section looks like
Code:
[Strings]
DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows Vista / 7 / 8 (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"
NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"
NVIDIA_A = "NVIDIA"
NVIDIA_DEV.06CD = "The most AWESOME gpu EVER"
REG_BINARY = 0x00000001
REG_DWORD = 0x00010001
REG_EXPAND_SZ = 0x00020000
REG_MULTI_SZ = 0x00010000
REG_SZ = 0x00000000
REG_SZ_APPEND = 0x00010008
And this is what my OS section looks like;
Code:
[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]

%NVIDIA_DEV.06CD% = Section002,                  PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_06CD

[SignatureAttributes.PETrust]
PETrust = true

Last edited by Cyberdyne; 05-08-2013 at 18:41.

Old
  (#31)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 18:49 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

This name is perfect;

Old
  (#32)
Veteran
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 19:08 | posts: 12,068 | Location: United kingdom

Thanks for explaining but ive just successfully made a modded inf using the other method which ive posted in the Quadro 320.00 thread.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by Veteran; 05-08-2013 at 19:11.

Old
  (#33)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 19:17 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

It's fine if you want to do it that way, I've already explained in the guide that all you are doing is putting every string and device ID into every OS, the only difference in what I'm telling you to do is only paste in support for your card, and install it.

It's not some different method really. It's not rocket science.
The fact that your modded INF works for you means there is indeed a string for your card obviously.

Still though Veteran, next time you should give it another try. Once you do it the first time, modded drivers for yourself takes all but 10 seconds (which is how I was able to post picture of my card named The most AWESOME gpu EVER so quickly).

I've since added in that to use CTRL+F to search. Still pretty funny that you searched the site itself...

Old
  (#34)
Veteran
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 19:31 | posts: 12,068 | Location: United kingdom

Quote:
It's fine if you want to do it that way, I've already explained in the guide that all you are doing is putting every string and device ID into every OS, the only difference in what I'm telling you to do is only paste in support for your card, and install it.

It's not some different method really. It's not rocket science.
The fact that your modded INF works for you means there is indeed a string for your card obviously.

Still though Veteran, next time you should give it another try. Once you do it the first time, modded drivers for yourself takes all but 10 seconds (which is how I was able to post picture of my card named The most AWESOME gpu EVER so quickly).

I've since added in that to use CTRL+F to search. Still pretty funny that you searched the site itself...
Yeah well im not used to pastebin cause im a nOOb and you didnt mention ctrl+f in your guide. I did find some strings which i presume where the 690, i pasted them all in and it still wouldnt work for me.

I think the other way i do it is better because you can make the .inf universal very quickly.

By doing it your way, you only have support for the cards strings that you enter which is fine but not good for other users that may want an inf without going through this process.

Last edited by Veteran; 05-08-2013 at 19:37.

Old
  (#35)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 19:42 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

I DID say CTRL+F is your friend, but I digress- I should have specified.

I see you saying that you tried putting in the string (there is only one string per GPU..) and it did not work. The fault is on yourself for that, I can only guess maybe you are not putting the device ID in the right place after that.

I debated over this before to myself, before I wrote the guide and after. I strongly believe a guide should teach, not just tell. And before I posted this I made a smaller version of this post, and the person who was new at this type of thing was able to mod just fine.

If you are still not able to mod the driver like in the OP then I must not be teaching correctly. Which is why I'm trying to find out where you went awry.

EDIT: Idk man. When I did a search for GTX 690 there is only one listed there...
I understand that you have given up on it, but I'm only trying to better the guide in all seriousness.
Ok, vet, you realize that your modded INF is the content of the pastebin links in 4 different sections of the INF right? -the first link in the strings section and the second in the 3 OS sections?
;or should I give up on teaching and just tell to copypasta everything? I've read much more confusing guides then the one I put together.

Last edited by Cyberdyne; 05-08-2013 at 19:48.

Old
  (#36)
AudigyMaster

Default 05-08-2013, 19:58 | posts: 25 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you are wrong.

The sections in question to make a driver install on any GPU do not hold any power over the "integrity of the installation and alter the final stability and functionality", only what device ID gets what name, and what devices are supported for which OS's.

For example, you could easily follow the instructions in the guide, and change your "NVIDIA_DEV.0409 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT"" string to "NVIDIA_DEV.0409 = "NVIDIA GeForce Awesome GPU"" and it would still install just fine. The names are just for us humans to not have to call our card DEV.0409 (in the same way a doman name, like guru3d.com, is for us humans to remember "89.188.28.132").
Applications like GPUZ would still see that you have a 8700M GT, but device manager would see that you have an Awesome GPU.

It holds no bearing over how the driver is installed if no other sections are needlessly modified. Unified drivers at work. You are giving yourself more work.
If what you said was true, it would be mindbogglingly hard to make universal modded INF's for quadro drivers- as in simply put ALL devices in the INF from another driver, or for LPV2G to do what they do (which is where I got the string and device ID list from since it's a nice compilation of every NVIDIA gpu).
I think you understood me wrongly.

The standard .inf mod procedure adds two strings:
  • the PCI ID with section identifier located inside [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.X.X];
  • the PCI ID designation name located at the bottom of the .inf in [Strings].

On the first, which is the one I was referring in my previous post, you need to add an entry with the following structure: "%NVIDIA_DEV.0<PCI ID>% = Section<numbers>, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0<PCI ID>". In the <PCI ID> you add the correspondent ID of your card, and in the <numbers> you add the section number correspondent to your card's core(ex. GXX, GTXXX, GFXXX, etc). Normally for the same PCI ID that section number changes between release versions and platforms(GeForce/Quadro/etc), so you will need to check which section number the similar core cards are using, every time you update your drivers and mod your .inf.

Did this diagram so you can see what I'm saying:

The second([Strings]) is just a name attribute(the one you are incorrectly referring to regarding my post), you can even omit it and the installation/driver will work the same.

Old
  (#37)
Veteran
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 20:06 | posts: 12,068 | Location: United kingdom

Quote:
I DID say CTRL+F is your friend, but I digress- I should have specified.

I see you saying that you tried putting in the string (there is only one string per GPU..) and it did not work. The fault is on yourself for that, I can only guess maybe you are not putting the device ID in the right place after that.

I debated over this before to myself, before I wrote the guide and after. I strongly believe a guide should teach, not just tell. And before I posted this I made a smaller version of this post, and the person who was new at this type of thing was able to mod just fine.

If you are still not able to mod the driver like in the OP then I must not be teaching correctly. Which is why I'm trying to find out where you went awry.

EDIT: Idk man. When I did a search for GTX 690 there is only one listed there...
I understand that you have given up on it, but I'm only trying to better the guide in all seriousness.
Ok, vet, you realize that your modded INF is the content of the pastebin links in 4 different sections of the INF right? -the first link in the strings section and the second in the 3 OS sections?
;or should I give up on teaching and just tell to copypasta everything? I've read much more confusing guides then the one I put together.
Now that you have changed the installation guide slightly and the link that i know click on takes me to a different page compared to to the old instructions.

This now works better and i can see my gpu ID wheras before i could not see what i see now. I see no reason now why it wouldnt work....ill uninstall the quadro and reinstall using this way once again and see if it works. Be back in few minutes.....

Old
  (#38)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 20:07 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

@AudigyMaster
I understand what you are telling me now, yeah.
But doing what you are doing is still pointless, and without going into detail, case in point people like Veteran whom make simple INF's that support every GPU for every OS without going though every GPU in the INF and applying the changes you say are necessary.
Hell, let alone the work LTV2GO does where they offer stripped down versions of drivers with custom INF's for every desktop/mobile/quadro GPU.
The PCI ID aka the device ID does not change between drivers. Again, the advantage of unified drivers.
This is also why drivers successfully start install for the GPU even if the device manager says "standard vga graphics adapter" when doing a clean install.

@Veteran
Ok thanks. Good luck!
You can use CTRL+F in notepad too to find the OS section you need to modify.

Last edited by Cyberdyne; 05-08-2013 at 20:13.

Old
  (#39)
Veteran
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 20:24 | posts: 12,068 | Location: United kingdom

Quote:
@AudigyMaster
But doing what you are doing is still pointless, and without going into detail, case in point people like Veteran whom make simple INF's that support every GPU for every OS without going though every GPU in the INF and applying the changes you say are necessary.
Hell, let alone the work LTV2GO does where they offer stripped down versions of drivers with custom INF's for every desktop/mobile/quadro GPU.
The PCI ID aka the device ID does not change between drivers. Again, the advantage of unified drivers.
This is also why drivers successfully start install for the GPU even if the device manager says "standard vga graphics adapter" when doing a clean install.

@Veteran
Ok thanks. Good luck!
You can use CTRL+F in notepad too to find the OS section you need to modify.
Yeah it works fine now.
Those small adjustments really made a difference.
Good easy guide to make a modded .inf for a specific card.

Old
  (#40)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 20:27 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

Sweet.

Old
  (#41)
AudigyMaster

Default 05-08-2013, 21:00 | posts: 25 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
@AudigyMaster
(...)
The latest .infs are listing 105 sections, in each you will find specific configurations for the correspondent core model. The kernel driver(.sys) is indeed unified, but each section contains the necessary registry keys and dlls to register and copy to the disk so that the drivers can adapt and enable/disable/optimize functionality only available on that device.

There is the possibility to just install the kernel .sys bare bones, keeping the hardware working normally. The additional registry keys installed by the section areas of the inf files are solely to regulate the way the kernel driver works. The same with additional .dlls, which add features like CUDA/Physics and CUVID. It is possible to add those features in a more generic fashion way, which will work but may not deliver the same optimization/performance/stability. That is why "universal" .infs are possible, which doesn't mean that they are the best solution.

The PCI IDs can not change because they are located in the VBIOS.

Old
  (#42)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 05-08-2013, 21:10 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

Hm. I'm not sure what to think about that. I've never, ever, seen a driver partially install using universally made INF's or doing it myself. I'm not sure what to tell you man, only that what you are doing is unnecessary, and I'm not about to add a bunch of pointless steps to the guide for nothing. I'm sorry I can't give a better explanation why changing the section numbers does not need to happen, I just know that a partial install has never happen without changing it.

Old
  (#43)
AudigyMaster

Default 05-09-2013, 18:50 | posts: 25 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
Hm. I'm not sure what to think about that. I've never, ever, seen a driver partially install using universally made INF's or doing it myself. I'm not sure what to tell you man, only that what you are doing is unnecessary, and I'm not about to add a bunch of pointless steps to the guide for nothing. I'm sorry I can't give a better explanation why changing the section numbers does not need to happen, I just know that a partial install has never happen without changing it.
Why you don't have problems is simple. You don't know about them unless you have visible problems, which can make you blame the driver erroneously.

As I said previously, the .inf files contain around 105 independent sections, using entries like the ones in your list without checking the correct section in the particular .inf will make the installer using a section attributed to other core model. Since the G82s with the implementation of SPs, some functionality became unified across a wide range of models. That explains why things may work at first.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that you want to keep this tutorial as simple as possible, but people should know that your way is not the way nVidia intended this to work.

Old
  (#44)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 05-09-2013, 20:25 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

Oh no, I mean it took me a while to understand what you were trying to tell me, but I get it.

I'm still not sure about it though, I understand your example, but I'm simply unaware of a problem ever happening from this. From anyone else or myself. Here is my thinking-
(and this is especially important since 'googling' around does nothing for such a specific topic like this),
if problems were to always happen without changing the section number I would gladly edit the whole guide to instruct how to do it properly, if problems were to only happen maybe... say... 95% of the time I would edit the guide to simply mention it as a disclaimer.

But I don't have any of that. No evidence of a problem, no proof. And while I understand what you are saying, and it makes sense in my head, this is honestly the first time I've heard of it- for all I know editing the section to use one of a similar card may do absolutely nothing. I'm simply being skeptical, no offense to you.

Last edited by Cyberdyne; 05-09-2013 at 20:28.

Old
  (#45)
t2k

Videocard: Nvidia GT650M
Processor: Core i7 3610QM
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Battery :D
Default 07-25-2013, 10:39 | posts: 7

My laptop has Gt 650M and I already install quadro driver for laptop ok but when I restart the system, the screen can't be turned on so I must enter safe mode to remove it. Anyone has clue for this card?

Thanks

Old
  (#46)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 07-25-2013, 12:32 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

I'm not sure. Does it do this with every driver you modify?

Old
  (#47)
t2k

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 07-25-2013, 13:52 | posts: 7

Quote:
I'm not sure. Does it do this with every driver you modify?
I tried to modify quadro drivers for desktop and laptop and got same problems. Should I change some things else more from post 1?

Old
  (#48)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 07-25-2013, 14:33 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

I just updated the stings and ID's but I doubt that is going to change anything for you.

Hm, maybe try a clean install if you haven't?
You could try http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379506 to clean your current install if you want, then try re-modding the INF just in case you did something wrong.

Old
  (#49)
t2k

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 07-25-2013, 14:41 | posts: 7

Quote:
I just updated the stings and ID's but I doubt that is going to change anything for you.

Hm, maybe try a clean install if you haven't?
You could try http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379506 to clean your current install if you want, then try re-modding the INF just in case you did something wrong.
I always use this tool for a clean installation. I doubt the problem comes from the vendor Samsung. I'm using Samsung laptop.

I install the driver successfully (it said successful and finish) but when i restart the system, it could not boot into windows

Last edited by t2k; 07-25-2013 at 14:52.

Old
  (#50)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Default 07-25-2013, 15:06 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

I have no idea man. If you are only doing what the guide says (which is a lot safer than using an INF someone else made since you know only the two lines you added was the only thing changed) then all you are doing is simply telling the installer to install the driver.

I wasn't blaming the vendor, but now you got me thinking. It's common for laptop drivers to be locked down (at least it was when I owned a laptop with a nvidia gpu).
My last suggestion is to try the drivers on here http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/for...ers-and-tools/ they specialize in installing drivers on laptop GPUs. Just download the driver there and copy over the INF they have for it.