Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section
Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything GeForce driver related. GeForce ForceWare and GeForce Exerience drivers are for NVIDIA Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.

The truth about PRE-RENDERING 0?
Old
  (#1)
Tastic

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7850
Processor: Intel i5-2500k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
Memory: DDR3 1333 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec (HCG-750) PSU
Default The truth about PRE-RENDERING 0? - 07-15-2012, 23:25 | posts: 14

Hello peeps, this is my first thread on this forum, so any help/advice on the matter would be much appreciated.

I am looking for the truth behind 'Pre-rendering 0' with Nvidia cards. This may come off as a silly question as the option clearly states 0 pre-rendered frames. However, I have heard many trains of thought regarding this matter.

For one, when you set pre-rendered frames to 0 in either the nvidia control panel or by using nvidia inspector, are the pre-rendered frames really 0? If not, what drivers are they not 0, and what do they default to if 0 is selected?

I have been reading and hearing about how the setting of 0 for pre-rendered frames actually defaults to 3 in many scenarios. I even read a benchmark test review that their results confirm that by setting your Nvidia card to 0 pre-rendered frames, your card resorts to its default setting, which is 3 pre-rendered frames. So, a selection of 1 or 2 will actually render less frames than a setting of 0.

Here's one example I'm talking about: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/top...es-benchmarks/

I have tested pre-rendered frames from 0-3, and I'm having trouble coming to a definitive conclusion about whether a setting of 0 or 1 renders less frames. I play Quake Live, so finding the setting that truly renders the least amount of frames is ideal. I have a fairly fast system so my system should handle the least amount of rendering possible. I want the configuration that offers the LEAST amount of input lag. I can't find many definitive sources about whether pre-rendered frames 0 actually renders 0 frames, or if it resorts to driver defaults of 3. I've heard angles from both sides.

Current configuration:

i5-2500k
EVGA 550 TI
16gb 1333 Ram
SSD
Asus VG236H 120hz LCD

Basic video settings:

The driver-set (Nvidia) I'm currently using is 295.73.
Pre-rendered frames set to 0 or 1
GPU Scaling off
Play games at native resolution (1920 x 1080) even though I prefer lesser resolutions
Most filtering settings turned off or to high performance
120hz refresh rate

If anyone can shed any light on this subject I would appreciate it, immensely!

Discuss.

-T

Old
  (#2)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX1080 Arctic Hybrid III
Processor: i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Memory: 4x8GB @ 2GHz
Soundcard: HyperX Cloud + FiiO E6
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
Default 07-15-2012, 23:36 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

Newer versions of the NVidia drivers remove the option to use 0. Instead, it was replaced with "use default app setting". Setting it to 0 in the newer drivers using Inspector just sets it to "use default app setting" as well.
Knowing that, it would make sense that settings it to 0 in older drivers makes it actually use 3 (or default), giving a reason for the more recent change. Maybe for clarity.

Old
  (#3)
Tastic

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7850
Processor: Intel i5-2500k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
Memory: DDR3 1333 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec (HCG-750) PSU
Default 07-15-2012, 23:42 | posts: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdyne View Post
Newer versions of the NVidia drivers remove the option to use 0. Instead, it was replaced with "use default app setting". Setting it to 0 in the newer drivers using Inspector just sets it to "use default app setting" as well.
Knowing that, it would make sense that settings it to 0 in older drivers makes it actually use 3 (or default), giving a reason for the more recent change. Maybe for clarity.
I noticed that as well.

I did find an interesting comment in the ESR forum @ http://www.esreality.com/post/228304...ndered-frames/

Here's the comment:

"Fact is, you have to "pre-render" a single frame before displaying. So you're suggesting that this option is "how many _more_ frames to pre-render" and 1 is keeping a single frame always in the buffer while previous one is displayed and next one is being rendered? Does it do it even with vsync off? I was under impression this setting is for vsync users..."

This makes sense, but is it true? Does your video-card have to pre-render at least 1 frame before displaying on your screen? Are video-cards not capable of rendering real-time and displaying the image on your screen as it's rendering? I suspect that if this is true, your system has to be fairly fast to handle real-time rendering.

Your thoughts?

-T

Old
  (#4)
ManuelG
NVIDIA Rep

Videocard: Geforce GTX TitanX Pascal
Processor: Intel Core i7 5960X
Mainboard: Alienware Area 51 R2
Memory: 32GB DDR4
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Zx
PSU: Alienware 1200W
Default 07-16-2012, 00:29 | posts: 541 | Location: Santa Clara, California

I asked our engineers and their reasoning for removing "0" was because there was practically zero difference in setting this to either "0" or "1". The result was the same.

Manuel
NVIDIA Forums Technical Advisor

Old
  (#5)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080Ti H20
Processor: i7 5930K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-AU31
Memory: G.Skill 32GB 3200C12
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus
PSU: EVGA P2-1200W
Default 07-16-2012, 01:43 | posts: 9,476 | Location: USA

was there really a need for 3 threads?

Old
  (#6)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX 470
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Realtek....
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 07-16-2012, 01:59 | posts: 19,942 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastic View Post
This makes sense, but is it true? Does your video-card have to pre-render at least 1 frame before displaying on your screen? Are video-cards not capable of rendering real-time and displaying the image on your screen as it's rendering? I suspect that if this is true, your system has to be fairly fast to handle real-time rendering.
The short answer is yes, at least 1 frame has to be pre-rendered.

Old
  (#7)
Prophet
Master Guru

Videocard: Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
Processor: Intel Sb@4.7
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68V Progen3
Memory: 12 Gb Kingston
Soundcard: Asus Essence STX|Akg k701
PSU: Corsair 1200w
Default 07-16-2012, 08:11 | posts: 776 | Location: Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelG View Post
I asked our engineers and their reasoning for removing "0" was because there was practically zero difference in setting this to either "0" or "1". The result was the same.

Manuel
NVIDIA Forums Technical Advisor
I can feel the difference between 0 and 1. 'Practically no difference' is an actual difference. Some guy where this was discussed says it adds ~5-15 ms per each pre-rendered frame which seems accurate to me.

Mind I only care about this in the fps games. When I play this makes quite a difference. I usually am in the top 3-5% or so in the fpss I have played.

ATi doesnt have 0 pre rendered any more (or flip que as its called on ati iirc). This is one of the biggest reasons I bought a Nvidia card.

Please bring 0 back in the newer drivers so I dont have to use 296.x drivers.

Last edited by Prophet; 07-16-2012 at 08:46.

Old
  (#8)
rewt
Maha Guru

Videocard: √
Processor: √
Mainboard: √
Memory: √
Soundcard: √
PSU: √
Default 07-16-2012, 12:02 | posts: 1,245 | Location: Americas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastic View Post
Does it do it even with vsync off? I was under impression this setting is for vsync users..."

This makes sense, but is it true? Does your video-card have to pre-render at least 1 frame before displaying on your screen?

Your thoughts?
The video drivers will also pre-render frames when vsync is disabled, and it's easiest to detect that behavior in OpenGL applications.

The option in the control panel affects the length of the command buffer between CPU and GPU. Back buffering is a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdyne View Post
In drivers before r300, a setting of 0 shortened the command buffer to a minimum. In r300 drivers and above, a setting of 0 is application/driver controlled and typically equals 3 frames.

Last edited by rewt; 07-16-2012 at 12:05.

Old
  (#9)
Shadowdane
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 1080Ti SC
Processor: i7-6700K @ 4.7Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: GSkill 32GB DDR4-3200 C14
Soundcard: SBZ/ProMonitor800/M8 Sub
PSU: Seasonic X-1050
Default 07-16-2012, 15:21 | posts: 1,262 | Location: Virginia

I use 1 or 2 pre-rendered frames here, depends on the game. Most games run smoother with a setting of 2 I found. When I used lower settings I found the framerate to fluxuate more. The difference in response was pretty much non-existent.

I think that could be partly due to having an SLI configuration, this way it renders one frame per GPU ahead?

Old
  (#10)
rewt
Maha Guru

Default 07-16-2012, 16:35 | posts: 1,245 | Location: Americas

Nvidia says the setting in the control panel does not apply to SLI. Either that info is inaccurate, or you are experiencing the placebo effect.

Old
  (#11)
hallryu
Don Altobello

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.8GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2134 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default 07-16-2012, 17:03 | posts: 11,379 | Location: England

The other 2 threads are closed. This one stays open as it has the most replies and discussion.

Old
  (#12)
Burnt_Ram
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 580 SLi
Processor: Core i5 @ 4.2 H20 Cooled
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D Deluxe
Memory: G.Skill RipJaw 1600 2x4GB
Soundcard: Via HD 7.1
PSU: Corsair HX1050W
Default 07-16-2012, 20:19 | posts: 5,926 | Location: British Columbia

what, pre rendered frames ahead doesn't apply to sli, surely that's wrong?

Old
  (#13)
rewt
Maha Guru

Default 07-16-2012, 21:22 | posts: 1,245 | Location: Americas

If it's wrong, then benchmarks would reflect that. I don't know why Nvidia would say it doesn't apply to SLI if it does.

Old
  (#14)
Brendruis
Maha Guru

Videocard: Reference GTX 680 SLI
Processor: 3770K 4.2 HT enabled H60
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67
Memory: 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR31600
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Corsair Professional 850
Default 07-17-2012, 03:45 | posts: 1,242 | Location: Melbourne, FL

Makes sense to me.. With SLI you would always be using at least one pre-rendered frame because you are using alternate frame rendering...

Old
  (#15)
p0ppa
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX970 G1 SLI
Processor: i7 5930k
Mainboard: Rampage V Extreme
Memory: 32GB 2400mhz
Soundcard: Titanium Fatal1tyPro
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Default 07-17-2012, 05:01 | posts: 306 | Location: Australia

So it's best to have it on 1 or 2? mine is default on 3. does it differ from different graphics cards? For example a high-end and a low-end?

Old
  (#16)
Kolt
Maha Guru

Videocard: STRIX 1070 oc
Processor: i7-3770k @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: ASRock z77 Extreme 6
Memory: 16gb g.skill
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX - 5.1 setup
PSU: 750w PcP&C Silencer
Default 07-17-2012, 05:24 | posts: 982 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA

I have put mine to 1 for BF3 and it seems smoother. I'm pretty sure my CPU is a bottleneck for my GPU, even overclocked like it is, so it being set to 1 seemed like a smart decision.

Old
  (#17)
Prophet
Master Guru

Default 07-17-2012, 06:29 | posts: 776 | Location: Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0ppa View Post
So it's best to have it on 1 or 2? mine is default on 3. does it differ from different graphics cards? For example a high-end and a low-end?
Depends on game. If its a game that doesnt require immediate response generally setting it higher is better. D3 for example I put 3.

Old
  (#18)
tweakpower
Banned

Videocard: MSI HD 6770
Processor: FX-4100 4.0Ghz
Mainboard: MSI 970A-G46
Memory: HuperX 2x4GB PC12800
Soundcard: Realtek Onboard
PSU: LC-Power 600W
Default 07-17-2012, 07:30 | posts: 932 | Location: Serbia

nVidia and their stupid tricks, sorry to be a constant "black sheep" on the forum, but i have to share personal experience with this.

Many cards was tested, all of them older than this i will mention here.

9800GT, RFA = 1, 2 or 3. 3Dmark score is around 10-15% better than RFA = 0. Games are smoother, lag is almost eliminated (OK, lag was problem with most if not all nVidia cards for me, having on mind that i always used AMD CPU's, it can be that), but with less FPS, and with more "harder" stutter, but less micro.

Here is example i saved on 9800GT Mafia II game, same scene.

Old
  (#19)
Prophet
Master Guru

Default 07-17-2012, 10:15 | posts: 776 | Location: Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakpower View Post
nVidia and their stupid tricks, sorry to be a constant "black sheep" on the forum, but i have to share personal experience with this.

Many cards was tested, all of them older than this i will mention here.

9800GT, RFA = 1, 2 or 3. 3Dmark score is around 10-15% better than RFA = 0. Games are smoother, lag is almost eliminated (OK, lag was problem with most if not all nVidia cards for me, having on mind that i always used AMD CPU's, it can be that), but with less FPS, and with more "harder" stutter, but less micro.

Here is example i saved on 9800GT Mafia II game, same scene.

Not sure what you are trying to say here buddy. That graph only shows that render ahead frames has little to no impact on fps. I have tested this in d3 and bfbc2 and, apart from the first 30 secs being somewhat less fps with pre-rendered 0, the result were almost similar. Similar enough that I claim that with a recent system that difference is neglible.

Old
  (#20)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 290 ACIV 1150/1500MHz
Processor: i5-4590
Mainboard: ECS Z97 Machine
Memory: 16GB HyperX 2400MHz
Soundcard: Teac UD-501->JBL LSR308
PSU: Silent Pro M700
Default 07-17-2012, 10:39 | posts: 5,736

@tweakpower which setting has "harder" stutter, but less micro?
How can you even an impartial judge if you're heavy CPU limited?

It's perfectly fine to be a "black sheep", but you're not making much sense buddy
Lost in translation... or sumtin

Old
  (#21)
rewt
Maha Guru

Default 07-17-2012, 12:45 | posts: 1,245 | Location: Americas

Benchmark scores start to decrease as you decrease the amount of frames rendered ahead. In drivers before r300, zero would have had a negative impact on benchmark scores, but not with r300+ drivers.

Combine this with the fact that AMD removed the ability to tweak flip queue in their drivers and you begin to see the primary motivation Nvidia had for changing the setting's behavior in recent drivers.

Last edited by rewt; 07-17-2012 at 13:06.

Old
  (#22)
nick0323
Maha Guru

Videocard: Palit GTX970 Jetstream OC
Processor: i5 2500k / 4.8GHz @1.36v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68 V-Pro Gen 3
Memory: Corsair Ven 4x4GB 1866MHz
Soundcard: Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 07-17-2012, 13:42 | posts: 837 | Location: Old England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolt View Post
I have put mine to 1 for BF3 and it seems smoother. I'm pretty sure my CPU is a bottleneck for my GPU, even overclocked like it is, so it being set to 1 seemed like a smart decision.
Very bottlenecked. I had a Q9450 running at 3.2GHz and BF3 didn't like it, had to run the game in Medium Quality of all the things in the world.

Switched to an i5 2500k running at 4.5GHz and I can now run BF3 in High / Very High with the same GTX470 which I still have now and had in my previous system.

Not going to make the same "costly" mistake as I did on my AGP Motherboard which was to constantly get a better graphic card with a bottlenecked CPU. Then again we also hit the bandwitdth wall with AGP.

I'll have to give this a go as I'm curious now. I'll try 1 and 2 but BF3 works a treat for me as it is.

Old
  (#23)
tweakpower
Banned

Default 07-17-2012, 18:17 | posts: 932 | Location: Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
Not sure what you are trying to say here buddy. That graph only shows that render ahead frames has little to no impact on fps. I have tested this in d3 and bfbc2 and, apart from the first 30 secs being somewhat less fps with pre-rendered 0, the result were almost similar. Similar enough that I claim that with a recent system that difference is neglible.
Actually, graph clearly shows less FPS in RFA = 0, but, that could be CPU limitation on this game. On the other side, I agree with this you said, on recent systems, maybe, with recent drivers ofc.

Graph shows latency between frames, which is much more important than AVG FPS in mine opinion. As you can see, RFA 0 added some extra latency on some parts (i actually did on part that was most heavy in Mafia II on mine system), and it shows GPU+CPU limtation on parts you can see clearly. But there is other thing, you maybe can't notice in this graph, FPS is more steady with RFA 0 (except those few parts), and because it was around 30-40 FPS, you can't see that in graph very clearly. The actual gameplay of game was changed with RFA = 0, in a good way.

Back on topic, with nVidia cards, i find best option to be RFA = 1, it is a good balance between framerate and lag. I think (not tested tho), it would be more important on quad+ core CPU's.

Here is some tests i found on backup CD with 9800GT and RFA = 1, all games are tested with high/maximum details, AF16x and 4xAA. Resolutions was lower 1024*768 or 1280*960, you can see difference in good vs bad optimised and caped games.

You can see not so good performance here.

Almost perfect, despite low FPS.

Caped game.

Good performance.

Badly optimised game, it requires AVG FPS well over 200 in order to work good.

From best, to worst preforming games: F1 2010, COD Modern Warfare 2, Doom 3, Trackmania United Forever, FIFA 11. There you go, go figure...

Old
  (#24)
rewt
Maha Guru

Default 07-17-2012, 18:35 | posts: 1,245 | Location: Americas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakpower View Post
graph clearly shows less FPS in RFA = 0
That's the reason Nvidia sets it to 3 by default.

Old
  (#25)
tweakpower
Banned

Default 07-17-2012, 19:16 | posts: 932 | Location: Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewt View Post
That's the reason Nvidia sets it to 3 by default.
Yes, but with 1 it is about same as 3, OK, there is a bit of difference when FPS goes above 100, and minimum FPS is lower with 1, but in all, more stable with 1 or 0.

Tags
flip-queue, input lag, pre-rendered frames, prerendered