Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section
Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything GeForce driver related. GeForce ForceWare and GeForce Exerience drivers are for NVIDIA Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.

Old
  (#26)
WhiteLightning
Don Illuminati

Videocard: Inno3d GTX 1070 iChill x4
Processor: 2600k HT@4 .5 + NZXT X61
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt
Default 02-01-2012, 08:30 | posts: 26,495 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
It's a DX11 engine so forcing standard AA is not easy (it may be possible but I'm not aware of a flag as yet). However, the driver's built in FXAA does work so just open NVIDIA Inspector, go to the game profile and set 'NVIDIA Predefined FXAA Usage' to 'FXAA_ALLOW_ALLOWED' and 'Toggle FXAA on or off' to 'FXAA_ENABLE_ON' under the Other section at the bottom of the settings.

This worked fine for the v290.53 betas but I'm not sure it is working properly with the new v295.51 betas. Can't hurt to try it and if it isn't working then you can always use an InjectFXAA or InjectSMAA mod.
Thanks, though i do prefer 'Real AA' over fxaa or smaa. reall aa is much sharper imo without any blurring. well if i cant , i wont have any other choice though lol.
i thought the game ran in DX9 ? ill have to check fraps tonight on my g15 since im not sure about this.

Old
  (#27)
Redemption80
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
Processor: i7-2600K @ 4.7ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67
Memory: G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB
Soundcard: Nvidia - HDMI
PSU: Corsair GS800
Default 02-01-2012, 13:08 | posts: 17,724 | Location: Glasgow

No, its Frostbite 2.0, so has no support for DX9/XP.

FXAA was the best solution i found, never tried SMAA though, but i hear it does blur things less, no difference to me anyway as i prefer a softer image anyway.

Old
  (#28)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe v2103
Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: XFX PRO Black Ed. 850W
Default 02-01-2012, 13:52 | posts: 14,906 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreakuency View Post
Is the 'force AA' mode in the Nvidia Control Panel supposed to work in every game?
No. It depends on the engine used and/or whether it has an AA compatibility flag set for it in its game profile (DX9 and DX10+ games need their own flags). It tends to be easier to force MSAA/CSAA in older games as they don't use deferred rendering (see below).

Quote:
Or is that why NVInspector is used, do the flags force AA properly
Yes. The standard NVIDIA control panel allows you to force AA but it doesn't allow you to edit the AA flags in the game profiles so you need an editing tool which is where NVIDIA Inspector comes in handy (previously, we used nHancer for doing that but it is no longer supported or updated).

Quote:
And a different question, even when AA is on in games, am I right in saying some jaggies just can't be fixed?

Mafia 2 for example, looks great up close but in the distance no setting seems to fix the jaggy/flickery phone lines etc

Star Wars TOR, Tattooine's sand dunes are jaggy and move like crazy
Yes, normal MSAA and CSAA does a fairly effective job of removing most jagged edges but doesn't work with transparent/alpha textures such as fences or leaves on trees, etc. For that you have to also enable either transparency multisampled AA or, superior but at the cost of performance, transparency supersampled AA. Together they pretty much eliminate almost all jaggies.

Unfortunately, the switch to deferred rendering engines, which offer improved lighting for a lower performance hit, means that MSAA and CSAA are not easily supported in many games, even if they use DX10/11 (it can be done but it is very demanding on memory and performance). This is why you'll see more and more games use FXAA or MLAA instead. This type of AA is less effective than MSAA or CSAA because it is a post-process effect that it applied to the entire screen after it has been rendered rather than to each polygon as it being rendered as before. This can result in a slight blurring of the image as it isn't just targeting edges but everything on the screen, including textures and text. As such it can be a bit hit and miss at times but is good if it can be used in conjunction with MSAA/CSAA, like in Battlefield 3 which runs under DX11 for example, as it has a far lower overhead than either transparency MSAA or SSAA.

Last edited by Darren Hodgson; 02-02-2012 at 12:33.

Old
  (#29)
wasteomind
Master Guru

Videocard: eVGA gtx 980 sli
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Memory: Corsair 8GB DDR3 2133
Soundcard: onboard / Logitec Z5500
PSU: Thermaltake TPX-1275M
Default 02-01-2012, 17:46 | posts: 355 | Location: HOMELESS

Does anyone know if Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning needs an AA flag? In the demo I've been forcing AA without a flag and it seems to do a decent job.

However I've had the AA all the way up to 12xs (2x2ss with 4x OGMSAA) and still see jaggies on certain objects like bow strings and some edges on bridges and such. Overall it looks smooth, but the last few area with jaggies tend to stand out more because of it.

The game runs smooth though, even with 12xS @ 1920x1080 I get 60fps solid. Stepping up to 3x3 SS drops off 15fps and runs pretty solidly between 40-50fps with no real noticeable benefit to IQ.

Old
  (#30)
Phreakuency
Master Guru

Videocard: Asus Titan
Processor: i7 3770 @4.1ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3
Memory: Corsair 16gb 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Creative XiFi Titanium
PSU: Corsair ax850 Gold
Default 02-02-2012, 00:24 | posts: 668 | Location: Australia

Thanks Darren, really good post and makes sense, much appreciated!

Now am I right in saying the actual flags just activate AA in each game and we can still decide what AA to use in the settings below the flag?

Old
  (#31)
MrBonk
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 980 STRIX
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 @4Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage II GENE
Memory: G-SKILL 12GB @1600Mhz
PSU: Corsair 750TX V1
Default 02-02-2012, 02:29 | posts: 2,676 | Location: Oregon

I am having a strange issue now with Unreal Engine 3 games.
Specifically UT3.
Using forced 4x AA, things will look perfectly AA'd but once in Motion AA(or at another angle) looks like it's off.
(look at the edges of the green object)
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/4...3121352539.png
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1...3121352817.png
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/959...3121353379.png
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4...3121353976.png
I recall someone having a similar issue with Mass Effect...

What the hell?

Driver 295.51
Intel Core i7 950 @4.2Ghz
ASUS Rampage Gene II
6GB G-skill RAM @ 9-9-9-24-1N @1600MHz
EVGA FPB GTX 460 1GB V1

ALSO: My brother's PC which has 290.53 setup on it: On Star Wars Battlefront II, I have it set for forced 4XMSAA+4XSGSSAA and everything is completely smoothed but distant objects which are still aliased. When you get close to them they are not aliased..

Old
  (#32)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 02-02-2012, 12:42 | posts: 14,906 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreakuency View Post
Thanks Darren, really good post and makes sense, much appreciated!

Now am I right in saying the actual flags just activate AA in each game and we can still decide what AA to use in the settings below the flag?
Yes but there are different kinds of AA and depending on the flag used their quality can vary. This is why if you look down the list in post #1 some games have multiple AA flags. Some flags only work with specific types of AA or on 16:9 and not 16:10 screen resolutions.

The ability to edit the AA flags and experiment is, IMO, what puts NVIDIA's drivers way ahead of AMD's. I can pretty much use AA in virtually every one of my games and those that I can't, such as GTA IV, I use FXAA instead.

Old
  (#33)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 02-02-2012, 13:09 | posts: 14,906 | Location: England

@MrBonk - Anti-aliasing in Unreal Engine 3 games tend to be a bit hit and miss in my experience due to the use of deferred rendering which doesn't play nice with it. It's been a while since I've loaded up Unreal Tournament 3 but I remember forced 8xMSAA + TrMSAA working quite well in that game though, there was always the odd edge that looked like it didn't have any anti-aliasing at all. It is the same in other UE3 games too such as Mass Effect 2, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Batman: Arkham Asylum/City.

You may also need to use transparency multi- or super-sampling if you're not using it already.

Or are you saying that it was fine with the 290.53 or earlier drivers but now doesn't look as good with the 295.51 betas?

Old
  (#34)
MrBonk
Maha Guru

Default 02-02-2012, 13:37 | posts: 2,676 | Location: Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
@MrBonk - Anti-aliasing in Unreal Engine 3 games tend to be a bit hit and miss in my experience due to the use of deferred rendering which doesn't play nice with it. It's been a while since I've loaded up Unreal Tournament 3 but I remember forced 8xMSAA + TrMSAA working quite well in that game though, there was always the odd edge that looked like it didn't have any anti-aliasing at all. It is the same in other UE3 games too such as Mass Effect 2, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Batman: Arkham Asylum/City.

You may also need to use transparency multi- or super-sampling if you're not using it already.

Or are you saying that it was fine with the 290.53 or earlier drivers but now doesn't look as good with the 295.51 betas?
Well I am forcing 4xTrSSAA AFIK. And I can't remember now if I had this before on 275.33 (which was what I upgraded from.)

I guess I could roll back sometime soon and check. Or download the UT3 Demo on my brother's PC that has a GTS450 and check with forced AA+Transparency if it has the same issue.

EDIT: I discovered by using the Bioshock Flag, that using SGSSAA fixes the issue but with the that flag performance is unacceptable. SO, I tried TrSSAA and that gave me near the same issue as before with aliasing.
After that I gave the original UT3 flag a try with SGSSAA and did fix the aliasing issue with great performance.

I guess the issue is that there is too much shader/specular/etc aliasing than regular trSSAA can handle

Last edited by MrBonk; 02-03-2012 at 20:40.

Old
  (#35)
flimbo
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 970
Processor: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
Memory: 8GB Corsair DDR3
Soundcard: Aune T1 & M-Audio 2496
PSU: OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro
Default 02-05-2012, 11:14 | posts: 748 | Location: My chair

Just noticed a problem with LA Noire today.
I updated to the latest 295.51 drivers and in the process lost all my Nvidia profile settings so am redoing them.
I had LA Noire running nicely with some AA flag but after trying the ones recommended here, I am getting glitchy shadow bugs when using sparse grid supersampling.
On the vice narcotics case "The Set Up" on the intro, the boxers forearms are bright pink and have weird shadows on them.
Any ideas on what flag and AA settings to use?

Last edited by flimbo; 02-08-2012 at 15:46.

Old
  (#36)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 02-05-2012, 11:24 | posts: 12,906 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBonk View Post
I am having a strange issue now with Unreal Engine 3 games.
Specifically UT3.
Using forced 4x AA, things will look perfectly AA'd but once in Motion AA(or at another angle) looks like it's off.
(look at the edges of the green object)
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/4...3121352539.png
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1...3121352817.png
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/959...3121353379.png
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4...3121353976.png
I recall someone having a similar issue with Mass Effect...

What the hell?

Driver 295.51
Intel Core i7 950 @4.2Ghz
ASUS Rampage Gene II
6GB G-skill RAM @ 9-9-9-24-1N @1600MHz
EVGA FPB GTX 460 1GB V1

ALSO: My brother's PC which has 290.53 setup on it: On Star Wars Battlefront II, I have it set for forced 4XMSAA+4XSGSSAA and everything is completely smoothed but distant objects which are still aliased. When you get close to them they are not aliased..
I have the same issue in UT3 and Mass Effect 1. There's a some kind of bug that causes AA not to work at all in I enable v-sync. It flickers on and off without it and if I limit frame rate to 30 FPS it will stay on. Doesn't make any sense.

It is a fact that UE3 AA will not look as good as in non deferred shading games but that is not the case this time.

I personally use 8xMSAA+4xTrSSAA in those games but actually it has nothing to do with TrSSAA. AA will still not work properly.

Last edited by Anarion; 02-05-2012 at 11:27.

Old
  (#37)
MrBonk
Maha Guru

Default 02-05-2012, 22:34 | posts: 2,676 | Location: Oregon

that sucks.

I created a custom resolution on my monitor of 2560x1440 so I can use downsampling in combination with aa (Sometimes FXAA or SMAA too)and stuff to help a little bit.

Which is an ok semi-solution when my monitor's native resolution is 1600x900. 2.5 times the amount of pixels.

Old
  (#38)
sparrow1911
Member Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6
Memory: Kingston 8 gb DDR3
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Enermax Platimax 750W
Default 02-06-2012, 07:25 | posts: 106

Kingdoms of Amalur AA flag?

Old
  (#39)
wasteomind
Master Guru

Default 02-06-2012, 16:38 | posts: 355 | Location: HOMELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1911 View Post
Kingdoms of Amalur AA flag?
I posted earlier in this thread about that game and got no response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteomind View Post
Does anyone know if Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning needs an AA flag? In the demo I've been forcing AA without a flag and it seems to do a decent job.

However I've had the AA all the way up to 12xs (2x2ss with 4x OGMSAA) and still see jaggies on certain objects like bow strings and some edges on bridges and such. Overall it looks smooth, but the last few areas with jaggies tend to stand out more because of it.

The game runs smooth though, even with 12xS @ 1920x1080 I get 60fps solid. Stepping up to 3x3 SS drops off 15fps and runs pretty solidly between 40-50fps with no real noticeable benefit to IQ.
EDIT Nevermind, forget what I said. Forced AA doesn't seem to be working at all. The performance hit is there, the blurring for SSAA and SGSSAA are there, but it doesn't seem to actually be doing anything to clean up edges. FXAA nor SMAA seem to work either. FXAA instacrashes and SMAA creates a huge gamma/brightness spike and doesn't seem to clean up any edges. I've tried a few flags for MSAA/SGSSAA/SSAA and haven't had any luck.

Last edited by wasteomind; 02-06-2012 at 19:48.

Old
  (#40)
gbooster
Member Guru

Videocard: zotac 1080gtx
Processor: I7 2600k @ 4.2ghz
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth P67
Memory: gskill DDR3 1600 16g
Soundcard: Logitech Z623
PSU: Antec HCP 1200w
Default 02-07-2012, 01:04 | posts: 115 | Location: Indiana, USA

Quote:
I posted earlier in this thread about that game and got no response:

EDIT Nevermind, forget what I said. Forced AA doesn't seem to be working at all. The performance hit is there, the blurring for SSAA and SGSSAA are there, but it doesn't seem to actually be doing anything to clean up edges. FXAA nor SMAA seem to work either. FXAA instacrashes and SMAA creates a huge gamma/brightness spike and doesn't seem to clean up any edges. I've tried a few flags for MSAA/SGSSAA/SSAA and haven't had any luck.
Try the stalker profile 0x0000F0C1. I have it working with 4xMS and Transparency MS. There are still a few seams with jaggies but it works pretty well.

Old
  (#41)
nomec
Member Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-07-2012, 18:00 | posts: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbooster View Post
Try the stalker profile 0x0000F0C1. I have it working with 4xMS and Transparency MS. There are still a few seams with jaggies but it works pretty well.
Does that override the AA they are using in game when enabling post-processing? I am guessing it's FXAA.

Maybe can you post your inspector settings?

Old
  (#42)
wasteomind
Master Guru

Default 02-08-2012, 12:10 | posts: 355 | Location: HOMELESS

Quote:
It seems to work. but it causes a massive performance penalty and a 1-2 pixel wide border along the top and left edges of the screen. Looks like it is offsetting a layer of post processing or something. Not an idea solution. Any alternatives? I got SMAA and FXAA working, but they don't appear to do much if anything.

Old
  (#43)
gbooster
Member Guru

Videocard: zotac 1080gtx
Processor: I7 2600k @ 4.2ghz
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth P67
Memory: gskill DDR3 1600 16g
Soundcard: Logitech Z623
PSU: Antec HCP 1200w
Default 02-08-2012, 18:22 | posts: 115 | Location: Indiana, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomec View Post
Does that override the AA they are using in game when enabling post-processing? I am guessing it's FXAA.

Maybe can you post your inspector settings?
First thing I did was disable the incredibly awful post processing. Trust me it looks MUCH better with it off.

I'll take a SS of the settings when I get home.

From memory though, it's override. The stalker profile, and then for transparency I just used the multisample one and not the supersample.

Old
  (#44)
nomec
Member Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-08-2012, 21:16 | posts: 54

Quote:
First thing I did was disable the incredibly awful post processing. Trust me it looks MUCH better with it off.

I'll take a SS of the settings when I get home.

From memory though, it's override. The stalker profile, and then for transparency I just used the multisample one and not the supersample.
I think post-processing fits the environment better. It's a bit crazy with the bloom but it looks good.

Is there a way to get better AA with post processing turned on?

Old
  (#45)
wasteomind
Master Guru

Default 02-09-2012, 01:20 | posts: 355 | Location: HOMELESS

Ok I'm doing more testing to try to figure this out for Amalur. I've disabled post processing and am basically going through the existing compatibility bits listed in nvinspector 1 by 1 looking for patterns that might lead to a solution since I have no idea how the bits actually work.

edit: erased my findings, borders persisted with more testing.

Last edited by wasteomind; 02-09-2012 at 02:17.

Old
  (#46)
wasteomind
Master Guru

Default 02-09-2012, 21:39 | posts: 355 | Location: HOMELESS

Did some more testing on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Came up with 0x200032C1 which applies AA and seems to eliminate the borders on the sides of the screen. Can anyone else confirm it works with no ill effects?

Edit ok weird situation here. The above bits provides no borders using 4x MSAA. Drop down to 2x MSAA and the top border reappears. Interesting. Back to testing I guess.

0x000012C1 OGSS (2x2 Supersampling) seems to work with slightly better performance then MSAA flag and 4xMSAA above. Again can anyone confirm?

EDIT 2:

Been playing with 0x000012C1 and using 1x2 SSAA with post processing enabled in game. Looks pretty clean, if not a bit blurred bur I seem to be able to pull 60fps solid @ 1920x1080. Don't quite have the performance to go 2x2 SSAA or 4xMSAA. These flags work, but suck performance wise.

Last edited by wasteomind; 02-09-2012 at 23:21.

Old
  (#47)
Cyberdyne
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX1080 Arctic Hybrid III
Processor: i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Memory: 4x8GB @ 2GHz
Soundcard: HyperX Cloud + FiiO E6
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
Default 02-10-2012, 01:24 | posts: 2,927 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

So what you are saying is 0x200032C1 is for 4xMSAA, 0x000012C1 is for OGSS and SSAA?

Old
  (#48)
nomec
Member Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-10-2012, 01:43 | posts: 54

Quote:
Did some more testing on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Came up with 0x200032C1 which applies AA and seems to eliminate the borders on the sides of the screen. Can anyone else confirm it works with no ill effects?

Edit ok weird situation here. The above bits provides no borders using 4x MSAA. Drop down to 2x MSAA and the top border reappears. Interesting. Back to testing I guess.

0x000012C1 OGSS (2x2 Supersampling) seems to work with slightly better performance then MSAA flag and 4xMSAA above. Again can anyone confirm?

EDIT 2:

Been playing with 0x000012C1 and using 1x2 SSAA with post processing enabled in game. Looks pretty clean, if not a bit blurred bur I seem to be able to pull 60fps solid @ 1920x1080. Don't quite have the performance to go 2x2 SSAA or 4xMSAA. These flags work, but suck performance wise.
To get it working w/ post processing turned on are you setting AA to Override or Enhance? Or nothing?

Old
  (#49)
wasteomind
Master Guru

Default 02-10-2012, 15:58 | posts: 355 | Location: HOMELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdyne View Post
So what you are saying is 0x200032C1 is for 4xMSAA, 0x000012C1 is for OGSS and SSAA?
Yes those are my findings thus far. I don't have a decent working solution for 2x MSAA nor have I found any better performing flags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomec View Post
To get it working w/ post processing turned on are you setting AA to Override or Enhance? Or nothing?
Override

Old
  (#50)
nomec
Member Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-10-2012, 22:54 | posts: 54

Quote:
Yes those are my findings thus far. I don't have a decent working solution for 2x MSAA nor have I found any better performing flags.

Override
Yeah, there is too much of a performance hit. 4xMSAA brings me to 50 fps on dual GTX 580's. Supersampling 2x1 is tolerable but it isn't a solid 60 fps all the time.

Hopefully someone will find something better.