Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything AMD Catalyst related. Catalyst drivers are for all AMD based graphics cards and APUs.

Old
  (#26)
Watcher
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte Windforce R9 380
Processor: FX-8350@4.8 H80iV2 Corsai
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB @1866
Soundcard: On board Realtek
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
Default 06-21-2017, 19:35 | posts: 2,344 | Location: Canada

We're not done yet by any means!!

Install Afterburner:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

When it is done installing it will indicate in needs to reboot. Reboot at this time.

Install ClockBlocker:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404465

When installed, run ClockBlocker, right click on tray icon and select " Quick Action " then : " Default > Block "

This should cause you GPU to run at it's gaming clock speed.
Move around the windows and see if the problem still occurs.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by Watcher; 06-21-2017 at 19:38.

Old
  (#27)
Krteq
Master Guru

Videocard: R9 290 Tri-X OC
Processor: Core i7 6700K @4,7 GHz WC
Mainboard: GIGABYTE Z170-D3H
Memory: 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
Soundcard: Prodigy 7.1 HiFi + HD515
PSU: Seasonic 620W
Default 06-21-2017, 20:04 | posts: 321 | Location: Czech Republic

Kyle, do you have ReLive app installed on both machines?

Old
  (#28)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS R9 Fury X
Processor: Xeon E5 1650 v3
Mainboard: ASROCK X99 WS
Memory: DDR4 2133 ECC / 64GB
Soundcard: SB ZxR, Logitech Z623
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
Default 06-22-2017, 06:53 | posts: 323

@KyleStilkey:

Happen to have a capture with LatencyMon or anything similar during those stutters?

Also, tried disabling interrupt coalescing?
eg, bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Definitely something funky is going on in your video. That looks like the entire system is locked up during the pauses.
(do you get consistent audio crackling as well -- corresponding to the UI / mouse pauses?)

^ If audio is crystal clear and keeps playing (no crackle, no hitch) between pauses, less likely to help ... still worth looking in this direction though as there may be some interaction going on.

EDIT:
--May be worth playing with "MSIUtil" and toggling some devices back and forth between MSI / IRQ modes, to see if there's any impact.

Last edited by A2Razor; 06-22-2017 at 07:04.

Old
  (#29)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+
Processor: AMD R7 1700X OC 3.8Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Memory: 16GB Tridentz RGB 2400
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Rosewill LIGHTNING-1300w
Default 06-22-2017, 07:59 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krteq View Post
Kyle, do you have ReLive app installed on both machines?
Already posted saying with or without makes 0 difference.

Old
  (#30)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Default 06-22-2017, 08:01 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
We're not done yet by any means!!

Install Afterburner:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

When it is done installing it will indicate in needs to reboot. Reboot at this time.

Install ClockBlocker:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404465

When installed, run ClockBlocker, right click on tray icon and select " Quick Action " then : " Default > Block "

This should cause you GPU to run at it's gaming clock speed.
Move around the windows and see if the problem still occurs.

Keep us posted.
No difference at all with both. Damn was sure hoping it was an issue with like the clocks going into a 2D state or clock speeds gettings stuck. Keep them coming!

Old
  (#31)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Default 06-22-2017, 08:07 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Razor View Post
@KyleStilkey:

Happen to have a capture with LatencyMon or anything similar during those stutters?

Also, tried disabling interrupt coalescing?
eg, bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Definitely something funky is going on in your video. That looks like the entire system is locked up during the pauses.
(do you get consistent audio crackling as well -- corresponding to the UI / mouse pauses?)

^ If audio is crystal clear and keeps playing (no crackle, no hitch) between pauses, less likely to help ... still worth looking in this direction though as there may be some interaction going on.

EDIT:
--May be worth playing with "MSIUtil" and toggling some devices back and forth between MSI / IRQ modes, to see if there's any impact.
Not sure how to use MSIUtil but when I have sometime to I will.

As far as audio issue, none I causes no issues with crackling or anything, just seems like the card is having issues rendering Universal Apps and

LatencyMon doesn't change at all when it comes to the issue, report almost identical when just using chrome here in idle or moving around other screens when testing.

Old
  (#32)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Default 06-23-2017, 00:01 | posts: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleStilkey View Post
Not sure how to use MSIUtil but when I have sometime to I will.

As far as audio issue, none I causes no issues with crackling or anything, just seems like the card is having issues rendering Universal Apps and

LatencyMon doesn't change at all when it comes to the issue, report almost identical when just using chrome here in idle or moving around other screens when testing.
If the kernel was frozen for even a split-second, believe me you'd be hearing it during playback. (perceived loud "Atari style" sounds, pops, clicks, or otherwise)

--Shame, no change in LatencyMon and no corresponding audio quirks. At least this confirms that the OS itself is still moving though. (not a complete freeze)

Windows' desktop-composition framerate used to be dynamically driven (variable target + smoothing). No idea if the following registry value still has any effect in Windows 10. May be worth giving it a shot to force a high frame-rate target.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM\Schedule]
"FrameRateMin"=dword:00000090
-This would be for a 144hz panel.

Old
  (#33)
Watcher
Maha Guru

Default 06-23-2017, 00:52 | posts: 2,344 | Location: Canada

We have enter the troubleshooting stage of this issue were examinations and changing of settings will be required. Note any change in performance either good or bad and report back. Yes, sounds like homework, doesn't it

Lets continue.
  • Are you overclocking either of the computers?
  • What profile is the RAM set at in the Bios? Change the profile to a lower one and / or change timings manually.
  • Control Panel / Power options: Does changing power plans have any bearing on issue?
  • Disconnect the computer from the internet by either Unplugging the network cable / Disconnect the Wireless connection.
  • Have you searched internet for other similar reports of this issue?
  • Try plugging the computer into another electrical socket; not on the same breaker as connected to now.

Keep us updated.

Last edited by Watcher; 06-23-2017 at 03:18.

Old
  (#34)
A2Razor
Master Guru

Default 06-23-2017, 03:33 | posts: 323

Re-watched the video, had another thought on this.

It almost looks like the freezing is during "bus hits" to the card (texture transfer and creation for dialogs -- such as in expanding dialogs [maximize] )... I actually remember having something similar in some MMO's way back (although not Windows desktop menus) that took forever for me to track down [because it didn't effect FPS's, RTS's]. Stuttering ultimately was caused from a chipset issue, and resolved in shutting off all bus power management (PCI-E was dipping to x1 mode, power saving mid game).

--I'm guessing from the wording that there's no hit on games ... yet, at the same time this might simply be because games pre-load their textures (such as during a level-load).

Do you notice any performance drops in game menus or freezing during loading levels?

Also, if you would -- could you post a shot of GPU-Z on both those systems. Or basically, list the "Bus Interface" section and try to re-read that while moving the cursor around and dragging windows.

EDIT: Why I'm considering something like the above, connection wise between the machines, is that both motherboards are from the same manufacturer.
-That may be the commonality between the machines.

I doubt that it's USB related (or linked to the mouse's movement), since you say there's specific 'triggers' like a system tray notice. I'd doubt that it's 'focus swap' off the game (tray popup stealing focus), as it's happening in your video during just dragging a dialog (no swapping happening).

Last edited by A2Razor; 06-23-2017 at 03:50.

Old
  (#35)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 290 ACIV 1150/1500MHz
Processor: i5-4590
Mainboard: ECS Z97 Machine
Memory: 16GB HyperX 2400MHz
Soundcard: Teac UD-501->JBL LSR308
PSU: Silent Pro M700
Default 06-23-2017, 06:58 | posts: 5,736

Quote:
No utilities running, only one is my ASUS ARUR to control the color, but my wife's PC only has Razer Synapse, Samsung Magician and Malwarebytes running for third party software and still experiences the same issues.
"only" ??
and god knows what else

Two entirely different hardware setups with 2 virgin-fresh Creators Update installs, are exhibiting the same stuttering problem?

I know you said that you tried with fresh install(s?) , but tbh you dont sound completly convincing?

1703 build with Latency Monitor and with 17.6.2 installed is NOT a fresh install.

Old
  (#36)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Default 06-23-2017, 08:05 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisiv View Post
"only" ??
and god knows what else

Two entirely different hardware setups with 2 virgin-fresh Creators Update installs, are exhibiting the same stuttering problem?

I know you said that you tried with fresh install(s?) , but tbh you dont sound completly convincing?

1703 build with Latency Monitor and with 17.6.2 installed is NOT a fresh install.
Try reading again, if you read everything, a FRESH INSTALL of 1607 with only 17.6.2 installed no issues, a FRESH INSTALL of 1703 with ONLY 17.6.2 ISSUES. Drop it down to 17.1.1 on the 580 system and 17.4.1 on the 290 no issues. So please read before ASSUMING what has been said.

Old
  (#37)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Default 06-23-2017, 08:08 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Razor View Post
Re-watched the video, had another thought on this.

It almost looks like the freezing is during "bus hits" to the card (texture transfer and creation for dialogs -- such as in expanding dialogs [maximize] )... I actually remember having something similar in some MMO's way back (although not Windows desktop menus) that took forever for me to track down [because it didn't effect FPS's, RTS's]. Stuttering ultimately was caused from a chipset issue, and resolved in shutting off all bus power management (PCI-E was dipping to x1 mode, power saving mid game).

--I'm guessing from the wording that there's no hit on games ... yet, at the same time this might simply be because games pre-load their textures (such as during a level-load).

Do you notice any performance drops in game menus or freezing during loading levels?

Also, if you would -- could you post a shot of GPU-Z on both those systems. Or basically, list the "Bus Interface" section and try to re-read that while moving the cursor around and dragging windows.

EDIT: Why I'm considering something like the above, connection wise between the machines, is that both motherboards are from the same manufacturer.
-That may be the commonality between the machines.

I doubt that it's USB related (or linked to the mouse's movement), since you say there's specific 'triggers' like a system tray notice. I'd doubt that it's 'focus swap' off the game (tray popup stealing focus), as it's happening in your video during just dragging a dialog (no swapping happening).
BUS Interface stace at 16x even during the issue, was a good shot though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old
  (#38)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Default 06-23-2017, 08:13 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

Quote:
We have enter the troubleshooting stage of this issue were examinations and changing of settings will be required. Note any change in performance either good or bad and report back. Yes, sounds like homework, doesn't it

Lets continue.
  • Are you overclocking either of the computers?
  • What profile is the RAM set at in the Bios? Change the profile to a lower one and / or change timings manually.
  • Control Panel / Power options: Does changing power plans have any bearing on issue?
  • Disconnect the computer from the internet by either Unplugging the network cable / Disconnect the Wireless connection.
  • Have you searched internet for other similar reports of this issue?
  • Try plugging the computer into another electrical socket; not on the same breaker as connected to now.

Keep us updated.
  • Are you overclocking either of the computers? Both are, but stated when running the default BIOS settings to make sure it's not some sort of BIOS issue or OC it doesn't make a difference.
  • What profile is the RAM set at in the Bios? Change the profile to a lower one and / or change timings manually. I have done this, running them at their default (8350 being 1333 and 1700X being 2133) doesn't make a difference. I run my RAM times and speeds at the ones stamped on the chips, I don't tweak them beyond that, but I did already try default BIOS settings just to be sure no changes I made was causing an issue.

• Control Panel / Power options: Does changing power plans have any bearing on issue? I run both systems at High Performance and changing them between any of the settings changes nothing sadly. Still happens.

• Disconnect the computer from the internet by either Unplugging the network cable / Disconnect the Wireless connection. Doing this changes nothing.
  • Have you searched internet for other similar reports of this issue? Yes and a few others on AMD's Sub Reddit have the same issues, but it seems to be very few reports.
  • Try plugging the computer into another electrical socket; not on the same breaker as connected to now. I have done this too (did this months ago when testing to make sure I wasn't having power issues) and it made no difference. I even took the computer to my parents house next door just to make sure there wasn't an issue with the house sending electricity (it is an old house) but sadly no changes.

Old
  (#39)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 290 ACIV 1150/1500MHz
Processor: i5-4590
Mainboard: ECS Z97 Machine
Memory: 16GB HyperX 2400MHz
Soundcard: Teac UD-501->JBL LSR308
PSU: Silent Pro M700
Default 06-23-2017, 08:58 | posts: 5,736

Quote:
Try reading again, if you read everything, a FRESH INSTALL of 1607 with only 17.6.2 installed no issues, a FRESH INSTALL of 1703 with ONLY 17.6.2 ISSUES. Drop it down to 17.1.1 on the 580 system and 17.4.1 on the 290 no issues. So please read before ASSUMING what has been said.
I am really not assuming anything. I just have trouble believing that 2 different fresh systems would exhibit the same rare kind of stuttering.
If it was 1 system, I would say fine sh1t happens, lets troubleshoot it, like the guys above helping you.
But if you really claim that 2 different rigs are exhibiting the identical issue, an issue which itself is rare, then I would triple check against some kind of user intervention being done to both PCs.

Its still not clear that you tried with fresh windows install on BOTH PCs.
GL. Who knows, maybe when you clear this you get rewarded by both MS and AMD.

Old
  (#40)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Default 06-23-2017, 18:43 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisiv View Post
I am really not assuming anything. I just have trouble believing that 2 different fresh systems would exhibit the same rare kind of stuttering.
If it was 1 system, I would say fine sh1t happens, lets troubleshoot it, like the guys above helping you.
But if you really claim that 2 different rigs are exhibiting the identical issue, an issue which itself is rare, then I would triple check against some kind of user intervention being done to both PCs.

Its still not clear that you tried with fresh windows install on BOTH PCs.
GL. Who knows, maybe when you clear this you get rewarded by both MS and AMD.
If it's not clear then don't post, you're just trying to start stuff instead of helping.

Old
  (#41)
Watcher
Maha Guru

Default 06-23-2017, 19:20 | posts: 2,344 | Location: Canada

Quote:
  • Are you overclocking either of the computers? Both are, but stated when running the default BIOS settings to make sure it's not some sort of BIOS issue or OC it doesn't make a difference.
  • What profile is the RAM set at in the Bios? Change the profile to a lower one and / or change timings manually. I have done this, running them at their default (8350 being 1333 and 1700X being 2133) doesn't make a difference. I run my RAM times and speeds at the ones stamped on the chips, I don't tweak them beyond that, but I did already try default BIOS settings just to be sure no changes I made was causing an issue.

• Control Panel / Power options: Does changing power plans have any bearing on issue? I run both systems at High Performance and changing them between any of the settings changes nothing sadly. Still happens.

• Disconnect the computer from the internet by either Unplugging the network cable / Disconnect the Wireless connection. Doing this changes nothing.
  • Have you searched internet for other similar reports of this issue? Yes and a few others on AMD's Sub Reddit have the same issues, but it seems to be very few reports.
  • Try plugging the computer into another electrical socket; not on the same breaker as connected to now. I have done this too (did this months ago when testing to make sure I wasn't having power issues) and it made no difference. I even took the computer to my parents house next door just to make sure there wasn't an issue with the house sending electricity (it is an old house) but sadly no changes.
You have done an excellent job in trying to rectify this issue, not only by your own hand but by trying the others suggestions in this thread.

It's unlikely a hardware issue due to the fact it is occurring on two different systems.

I'm afraid it might be time to relent, go back to the last WHQL driver that worked for your systems.

I would report this issue to AMD, referencing this thread. After all, It may just come down to a driver issue.

I'll keep an eye out for others that are experiencing the same issue and if I think of another option we can try, I'll contact you in this thread and P.M. you as well.

Enjoy your systems. Not having one driver version work will not influence you rigs since they are both power houses.

Keep us updated.

Later

Old
  (#42)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Default 06-24-2017, 02:41 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

Quote:
You have done an excellent job in trying to rectify this issue, not only by your own hand but by trying the others suggestions in this thread.

It's unlikely a hardware issue due to the fact it is occurring on two different systems.

I'm afraid it might be time to relent, go back to the last WHQL driver that worked for your systems.

I would report this issue to AMD, referencing this thread. After all, It may just come down to a driver issue.

I'll keep an eye out for others that are experiencing the same issue and if I think of another option we can try, I'll contact you in this thread and P.M. you as well.

Enjoy your systems. Not having one driver version work will not influence you rigs since they are both power houses.

Keep us updated.

Later
Oh I know, the issue is I've reported this issue with as much details as possible with each driver release but it doesn't appear to be getting to them as the video I posted to give them a better idea had 0 views so I pushed it out to the community to see if there was any suggestions to the issue. Oh well, hopefully whatever the cause of it may be will be awesome when they fix it or whatever is causing the issue is solved. I'll just keep reporting with each release as I can.

Old
  (#43)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Default 07-12-2017, 10:50 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

Just updating this thread saying 17.7.1 still experience this. Just doing this so if someone finally from AMD looks at this, they can try and find out the cause.

Other notes are is alt+tabbing out has become so bad in some titles that it sometimes false to and does a weird game is still on screen but I can interact with the other monitors to but with massive slowness. I also believe this is linked to the exact same issue with users reporting videos played on other monitors are choppy or extremely laggy, because 17.4.1 doesn't have this but all WDDM 2.2 drivers on build 1703 have this issue. 1607 doesn't experience this on any of these drivers.

Last edited by KyleStilkey; 07-12-2017 at 10:57.

Old
  (#44)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Default 07-12-2017, 11:14 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

I've posted this issue over on AMD's forums too, to see if I can get some attention from someone to look into why this is happening. If anyone knows of anyway to try and get this through to them I would really appreciate it, but I will keep reporting this issue till it's resolved either through a driver update or if it's Windows 10 a update is released to fix it.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped and gave me test ideas.

Old
  (#45)
LIGuitar77
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS 7790 2GB OC
Processor: Intel Xeon X3230
Mainboard: Intel DQ965MT
Memory: DDR2 PC2-5300 4 GB
Soundcard: MOTU Traveler fw
PSU: Corsair CX600
Default 07-14-2017, 02:35 | posts: 463

Oh geez. Just saw your thread now for the first time. Things like this are my specialty. I will have it sorted for you in no time if you can provide one or more crash dumps. You'd have to Take Ownership of the folder then files too, then move to another location before uploading. Zipping or rar is always good.

Even if crashes that have happened are 100% unrelated, this will go a very long way.

Even if you've had no crashes, also provide the saved file from msinfo32. (File | save) This can help with some things if there were crashes still, and if no crashes, will be the entire helpful piece of information.

I watched your video quickly. First thing to say straight of the bat is that there is too much nonsense going on in the system notification area near the clock. That in itself should not cause a problem but the amount tends to suggest something in there IS a problem.

I suggest to make use of Autoruns to disable stuff, then reboot, to test on your own too. Be VERY careful if you aren't certain what you are disabling. Ask or Google if not, as you can hose your system rather easily to where it needs to be fixed manually offline.

Last edited by LIGuitar77; 07-14-2017 at 02:41.

Old
  (#46)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Default 07-15-2017, 07:09 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuitar77 View Post
Oh geez. Just saw your thread now for the first time. Things like this are my specialty. I will have it sorted for you in no time if you can provide one or more crash dumps. You'd have to Take Ownership of the folder then files too, then move to another location before uploading. Zipping or rar is always good.

Even if crashes that have happened are 100% unrelated, this will go a very long way.

Even if you've had no crashes, also provide the saved file from msinfo32. (File | save) This can help with some things if there were crashes still, and if no crashes, will be the entire helpful piece of information.

I watched your video quickly. First thing to say straight of the bat is that there is too much nonsense going on in the system notification area near the clock. That in itself should not cause a problem but the amount tends to suggest something in there IS a problem.

I suggest to make use of Autoruns to disable stuff, then reboot, to test on your own too. Be VERY careful if you aren't certain what you are disabling. Ask or Google if not, as you can hose your system rather easily to where it needs to be fixed manually offline.
If you had read through the entire thread you would have already known, this has all been tested and done. It's an issue with AMD's Drivers support WDDM 2.2 as AMD's forums is showing more and more results of issues with users have these same issues as more people start to update to the creators update.

Old
  (#47)
LIGuitar77
Master Guru

Default 07-15-2017, 17:23 | posts: 463

Quote:
If you had read through the entire thread you would have already known, this has all been tested and done. It's an issue with AMD's Drivers support WDDM 2.2 as AMD's forums is showing more and more results of issues with users have these same issues as more people start to update to the creators update.
The reason why I am the best in the world at what I do is because I don't listen to anybody.

Old
  (#48)
Jackalito
Master Guru

Videocard: Radeon RX 580 8GB@1470MHz
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.7GHz
Mainboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VI HERO
Memory: 32GB. DDR4 3200MHz CL14
Soundcard: Realtek1220+Logitech Z323
PSU: Corsair RM 850W
Default 07-15-2017, 20:02 | posts: 382 | Location: Spain

I can confirm I am suffering the same issues on my system. It was driving me nuts because no matter what I tried, I wasn't able to sort it out. At least, I can see where the problem is coming from now.

Hopefully, AMD and Microsoft can provide a working solution sooner rather than later.

Old
  (#49)
KyleStilkey
Master Guru

Default 07-16-2017, 06:32 | posts: 435 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalito View Post
I can confirm I am suffering the same issues on my system. It was driving me nuts because no matter what I tried, I wasn't able to sort it out. At least, I can see where the problem is coming from now.

Hopefully, AMD and Microsoft can provide a working solution sooner rather than later.
Same, the more users who jump to the Creators update are experiencing this issue with newer drivers, hopefully either the cause of this is found or a fix is released one day.

Old
  (#50)
LIGuitar77
Master Guru

Default 07-17-2017, 20:01 | posts: 463

If any one of you would provide the information requested (and then followed instructions) then this would not be a thing any longer.